Tony Gonzalez signed

The Tomcat

Updating a previous item, Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs TE Tony Gonzalez's new contract is expected to include $16 million in bonus money and average more than $6 million per year. The lone sticking point left is the structure of the deal and how much of the money is back-loaded and how much is put into the first three years of the contract. Gonzalez has until 4 p.m. EST Friday, Jan. 12, to send in a letter to the league voiding his contract in order t o become an unrestricted free agent.

We need to sign Nate....

To do what? Stop Tony Gonzalez?

I don't think the FA market is going to be huge at any position and would put us in a tough spot to not draft a CB with the 1st pick in 07.

It seems teams are signing their FA's instead of letting them go or "test the market."

Thats why I think we need to sign Nate.

Entire Article....

Chiefs, Gonzalez agree to 5-year contract extension

2007-01-12 10:55

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -Tight end Tony Gonzalez and the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed in principle to a five-year contract extension.

The move announced Friday would keep the 10-year veteran and one of the NFL's best tight ends in Kansas City. Gonzalez is two short of the NFL record for most touchdown catches by a tight end.

Terms of the deal were not announced.

``The obvious is he's been a very, very productive player for us. I think for our fans in Kansas City it was important for us to get this done,'' Chiefs president Carl Peterson said in a news release. ``He's done a marvelous job for us both on and off the football field.''

Gonzalez, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection, turned 30 this season and was an unrestricted free agent who said he would take a chance to get to the Super Bowl over extra money.

A message left by The Associated Press with Gonzalez's agent was not immediately returned Friday.

Gonzalez has started in 142 of the Chiefs' last 144 games. He holds the franchise record with 721 receptions for 8,710 yards and 61 touchdowns. He's two scores from topping the league record for tight ends held by Shannon Sharpe.

Peterson and coach Herm Edwards both said Thursday that major personnel changes are in store for Kansas City, which finished the regular season 9-7 in Edwards' first year and lost to Indianapolis 23-8 in the first round of the playoffs.

``There will be some tough decisions, no doubt about it. There will be some unpopular decisions at times,'' Edwards said.

That's a 16 million dollar bonus and 6 mill/yr for a TE that will be 31 next year.

Nate's numbers should be $20 million dollar bonus and 7 mill/yr

Oz, I think that they got him cheap. They had the threat of the "Franchise Tag" hanging over his head. Gonzalez is a great TE, and the cap with the new CBA is crazy. Many teams out there could have afforded this deal in terms of cash and cap space, as opposed to 2 years ago.

Why Levy made this "promise" to Nate is something that I still can't understand. If not for this unexplainable (at least from where I sit) act, we would have the same leverage with Nate, and I have a real problem with this.

After I read the article about KC re-signing Gonzalez, my reaction was that the Bills need to re-sign Clements. It will be expensive, but all of our other options are expensive either in terms of dollars or consequences (or both). The Bills do not have a player that is ready to step in and replace Clements and the Bills will overpay for any available free agent cb because of the amount of salary cap space available throughout the league. Would you rather pay Nick Harper four or five million a year or pay Clements seven (particularly when the Bills have the cap space to sign Clements and other free agents)? I would rather pay Clement seven million. The other consideration is that McGee is not a #1 corner and had some problems last year. The Bills could draft a cb in the first round, but the #12 pick will end up with a big contract (and big bonus) and will be unproven. I hope the Bills have learned from their mistake in failing to re-sign Pat Williams.

As many have noted, most teams have or will re-sign their own free agent players. In a year with few good free agents available, the Bills will be one of the only teams losing quality players (Clements, Fletcher and Kelsay).

Oz, I think that they got him cheap. They had the threat of the "Franchise Tag" hanging over his head. Gonzalez is a great TE, and the cap with the new CBA is crazy. Many teams out there could have afforded this deal in terms of cash and cap space, as opposed to 2 years ago.

Why Levy made this "promise" to Nate is something that I still can't understand. If not for this unexplainable (at least from where I sit) act, we would have the same leverage with Nate, and I have a real problem with this.

I'm with you on this. Just not a real smart move by Marv to give away the only tool he had to provide any leverage in keeping your "franchise" player. Nate would've eventually had to come in last year under his franchise offer, so there was absolutely no need to give up the right to use it again. Dumb. When Nate walks I hope Levy gets skewered over this, because he deserves it. Sorry, but in this market, you don't just let your best assets walk out the door for nothing.