Notre Dame's Walker to enter NFL draft

Tux of Borg

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/s...0111walker.html

Notre Dame's Walker to enter NFL draft

By JOHN HOLLIS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/11/07

Notre Dame junior running back Darius Walker will skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft.

At a press conference Thursday in South Bend, Ind., the former Buford High standout said he was fulfilling a lifelong dream.

Associated Press

Notre Dame junior RB Darius Walker would likely be a third- or fourth-round draft pick, NFL.com analyst Gil Brandt says. The former Buford standout has rushed for 3,249 yards in three seasons with the Irish.

"I just really feel like it's right for me," he told The Associated Press. "I wrote down the pros and cons and feel like it's the right thing for me to do at this time."

Walker, a three-year starter at tailback for the Irish, said he plans to hire an agent shortly and begin preparations for the upcoming NFL combine. He will remain in school in South Bend for the remainder of this semester to continue working toward his degree.

Walker became just the fourth back in school history to eclipse the 1,000-yard rushing plateau in consecutive seasons when he chewed up 1,139 yards and nine touchdowns last fall, capped by an impressive 128-yard effort in last week's loss to LSU in the Sugar Bowl. His 54 catches for 354 yards and a touchdown broke his own single-season record for catches by a back and set a new career mark for catches by a Notre Dame running back.

Walker finished his collegiate career ranked fourth all-time in Irish rushing history with 3,121 yards.

He was the AJC Player of the Year in 2003 after rushing for 2,406 yards and and 46 touchdowns, breaking Herschel Walker's Georgia High School Association record of 42 TDs.

Walker is coming off one of his best performances in which he gained 128 yards on 22 carries in Notre Dame's 41-14 loss to LSU in the Jan. 3 Sugar Bowl.

"I thought he played the best he has played, and I've seen him five or six times this year," NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt, the Dallas Cowboys' former pro personnel director, told the Chicago Tribune.

"(But) I don't think he'll be a first-day (draft) pick. He's a guy who's probably somewhere in the bottom of the third, fourth round. He's a good player. I don't know if he's a great player."

The rap on Walker is that he doesn't possess NFL speed.

Last year eight running backs were chosen in the first three rounds of the NFL draft. Brandt expects California's Marshawn Lynch, Auburn's Kenny Irons, Alabama's Kenneth Darby, Louisville's Michael Bush, Penn State's Tony Hunt and Florida's DeShawn Wynn all will be picked before Walker.

If as expected Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson decides to forego his senior season, he also likely would go ahead of Walker.

Walker has rushed for 3,249 yards in his three seasons, fourth on Notre Dame's career list. If he were to stay and match his 2006 performance, he would wind up with 4,332 yards rushing, just enough to edge current all-time leader Autry Denson's 4,318.

Brandt said, in general, college players are better served spending an extra year in college rather than bolting early for the pros.

"Players who leave school early usually don't turn out as well as players that stay for four years," he said.

"I imagine that after what he did against LSU, he probably feels pretty good about himself. But I think players are mentally and physically not as well equipped to play in the NFL after three years as they are after four years."

I gotta disagree with most of this assessment. This kid has alot of talent, he hits the hole hard, blocks very well and is a very good receiver. He is not a bad option in the 4ht round if still there. Reminds me of a Patrick Pass type player for New England.

I gotta disagree with most of this assessment. This kid has alot of talent, he hits the hole hard, blocks very well and is a very good receiver. He is not a bad option in the 4ht round if still there. Reminds me of a Patrick Pass type player for New England.

Today morning on Mike & Mike, Mel Kiper had him going late 3rd or early 4th round

Today morning on Mike & Mike, Mel Kiper had him going late 3rd or early 4th round

And this means what to me. These guys are probably the worst two radio sports hosts in the country. The only bright spot is Golic who reflects way too much on his subpar NFL career. The show lacks so much intelligence that it makes Jay Glazer look recutible. My opinion is this kid would be a steal in the 4th. He has played in a successful pro style offense and has all the tools except the break away speed. Last time I checked Willis didnt have break away speed, neither did thurman.

He has played in a successful pro style offense and has all the tools except the break away speed. Last time I checked Willis didnt have break away speed, neither did thurman.

This season many RBs who had that breakway speed were very successful in the NFL...

Willie Parker, Maurice Jones, Steven Jackson, Leon Washington, Maroney, Gore, to name a few

This season many RBs who had that breakway speed were very successful in the NFL...

Willie Parker, Maurice Jones, Steven Jackson, Leon Washington, Maroney, Gore, to name a few

So was Tomlinson, Dillon, Westbrook, Taylor, Mike Bell and Larry Johnson. Just to name a few. Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other.

I think this is a bad decision.

If he were clearly a first or second rounder that would make sense - but if he thinks he

is a late 3rd or 4th, depending on the draft he could slide a round or two.

next year will be a very strong class for RBs.

He will go even lower next year if he stays.

I think it is a good decision. He doesn't need any more exposure, and his limitations will still be there next year. Why put another year of wear-and-tear on your body and risk injury or a down year with a new Qb at the helm?

Why stay in college? Perhaps to get his degree?

Sorry, I had to say it, even if I know it is ridiculous. :pirate:

"If I laugh at any mortal thing/It is that I may not weep…" John Keats

I was going to say stay in school if he was going to go 3rd or 4th round, but what does he have to go back to in football at ND? Yeah, I do think all those guys should get their degrees because not everyone has a chance too, but I can see why Walker is coming out. Also, unless he goes to a big market (Chicago or NY), he will have less national pressure than he did at ND.

I'd say this is about right. He's had some good games, but also tends to disappear in many contests. He's far from a sure thing in the NFL.