Bobby April

OnTheRocks

If teams looking to fill a coaching position, lets say Offensive Coordinator or Defensive Coordinator....which would Bobby April be more inclined to be considered for?

I think that he'd go defensive coordinator, he seems to excel at designing coverage ST plays.

My question for Mr. April is: When are you going to let Roscoe return kickoffs?

McGee has fizzled out as a KR, 1 big one this year, all the rest mediocre to above average.

If teams looking to fill a coaching position, lets say Offensive Coordinator or Defensive Coordinator....which would Bobby April be more inclined to be considered for?

None....He is a Special Teams coordinator...Having said that I think the ST guys are more closer to a defensive philosophy...so more towards DC....

Bill Cowher played defense in the NFL and I think was a LB coach before becoming the ST Coordinator and then to HC.

Id like to see Roscoe return kickoffs atleast once or twice in the preseason to see what he has, but McGee is a major threat at returning kicks, even after him NOT having a strong year this year.....ever notice teams that kick try to get alot of air under the ball to let the coverage team get down there faster to cover him....Trust me, Team game plan on special teams for McGee.

I think that he'd go defensive coordinator, he seems to excel at designing coverage ST plays.

McGee has fizzled out as a KR, 1 big one this year, all the rest mediocre to above average.

That's ridiculous. McGee's second year he had a better average than the first by four yards per return, 30-26. This year he had the same average as his first, but didn't score three times. So his "average" return was longer than the year you refer to. He's still extraordinary.

Yes, let's bench our pro bowl kickoff returner because he doesn't make the pro bowl every year. :thumbsup: Honestly?

He would be going for a head coaching job, not OC or DC.

One of his conditions for re-signing with the Bills last year was the title (and duties) of Assistant HC. It gives him a little more marketability for owners who might think ST is a small part of the game or that such a job isn't good enough for a promotion to HC. I hope he stays here for a long time, but the day will likely come where he gets interviews and a shot at HC --- hell, it might be this year --- and I'd wish him good luck (except against us).

but the day will likely come where he gets interviews and a shot at HC --- hell, it might be this year --- and I'd wish him good luck (except against us).

Hell, we can than start the Dick Jauron Tree........I was really amazed at that article by Peter King.....trying to suck up to Belichek....He mentioned about Mangini and Crennel and then tried add Sean Peyton some how in the tree by mentioning that Belichek is part of the Parcells tree...nice try.....

There are only two big HC tree created in the NFL in the last 20 years and that belongs to Bill Walsh and Bill Cowher.....Others don't even come close....

Hell, we can than start the Dick Jauron Tree........I was really amazed at that article by Peter King.....trying to suck up to Belichek....He mentioned about Mangini and Crennel and then tried add Sean Peyton some how in the tree by mentioning that Belichek is part of the Parcells tree...nice try.....

There are only two big HC tree created in the NFL in the last 20 years and that belongs to Bill Walsh and Bill Cowher.....Others don't even come close....

Cowher? He has a coaching tree?

I think they start with Paul Brown and go from there no?

Parcells has quite the coaching tree. i did quite a bit of research on this not too long ago.

Cowher? He has a coaching tree?

I think they start with Paul Brown and go from there no?

Bill Cowher (6)

========

Dom Capers, Jim Haslett, Marvin Lewis, Mike Mularkey, Chan Gailey, Dick LaBeau

Bill Parcells

=======

Bill Bellichek, Sean Payton, Coughlin, Al Groh

(Crennel worked for Belichek before becoming a HC, so he belongs to the belichek tree)

(Mike Nolan was with the Redskins, Giants as DC before becoming a HC at SF)

(Eric Mangini is same as Crennel).

Bill Cowher (6)

========

Bill Parcells

=======

(Crennel worked for Belichek before becoming a HC, so he belongs to the belichek tree)

i suppose...but i don't think i would put Capers or LaBeau on Cowher's "tree" since they were pretty well established before Cowher was a HC. (i think... :thumbdown: )

i suppose...but i don't think i would put Capers or LaBeau on Cowher's "tree" since they were pretty well established before Cowher was a HC. (i think... :thumbdown: )

i dont think they were. As i said, i did a lot of research on this before, which i could attempt to find if you wish (PM me), and IIRC, capers and lebeau werent much prior to cowher.

Parcells is one of the few with his very own tree. Belichick doesnt have a tree, he and all of his assistants, fall under parcells.

Bill Cowher (6)

========

Bill Parcells

=======

Yeah but usually a coaching tree branches off, so in technicality mangina, crennel, weis, et al. would count as a second generation branch to Parcells. Kinda like if Jerry Gray were to become a head coach he would be under Williams and Mularkeys first generation of their coaching tree and Gray would be a second generation line under both Cowher and Jeff Fisher. This all helps determine what kind of impact a given coach has on the future of the game. So, Paul Brown and Walsh would be considered very influential.

um, no.

3rd in the league in ret average.

Still has the same burst and speed.

There are 11 men on the field.

Exactly. In fact he not only did not fizzle in his second year as our KR guy but actually led the entire NFL in kickoff return average but did not repeat his Pro Bowl berth as the spot went to a player who actually got a few TDs so the casual observer did not take into account his steady return work.

Even in this past season though McGee's return average was "only" 3rd we saw a couple of teams more willing to take the penalty for kicking the ball OB and give the Bills a very good drive start and risk giving JP that advantage than risk their return team stopping McGee.

That's ridiculous. McGee's second year he had a better average than the first by four yards per return, 30-26. This year he had the same average as his first, but didn't score three times. So his "average" return was longer than the year you refer to. He's still extraordinary.

Nice post Kelly.

Also the other thing that one has to take into consideration when judging between McGee and Parrish, is that with McGee you know that he is always going to be heading up field, while Roscoe sometimes tends to head side to side and backwards while trying to make a play.