Leinart = Pennington = Tease

i'm not sure what this has to do with the price of cheese. pennington played quite well yesterday. the reason the jets lost certainly wasn't because of him.

I didn't say, mean, or imply yesterday was because of him, although indirectly it was somewhat because of him. He cannot consistently make throws that get teams back in games when they are down and have to throw a lot. I meant only that players like him can take teams only so far, which is as far as he took them. I like him, he's very good. Seems like a great teammate and great guy. I just don't want him on my team because I don't think you can win it all with him.

I didn't say, mean, or imply yesterday was because of him, although indirectly it was somewhat because of him. He cannot consistently make throws that get teams back in games when they are down and have to throw a lot. I meant only that players like him can take teams only so far, which is as far as he took them. I like him, he's very good. Seems like a great teammate and great guy. I just don't want him on my team because I don't think you can win it all with him.

I do actually agree with you about the throw issue. But I also think that you can win in the NFL with a QB who can't make all the throws. The Jets are a well-coached team who aren't all that talented, which is their key problem. I do think that they had an excellent team in 04, but Brien choked it away for them. And remember, Pennington played serviceably in that game (although not more than serviceably) despite having a torn rotator cuff.

Bottom line: if they land a quality corner, a good tight end, and a dependable between-the-tackles runner (or if Martin comes back healthy, which is doubtful), they're a Super Bowl contender even with Pennington at QB.

Ultimate loser, in this instance, means never able to win the big one. I didn't mean to say or imply that he sucks, he's actually very good, just limited.

This could very well be true. Leinart still has the chance to prove he can do it, but I could see your statement proving correct. Possibly a lot of 10-6 records but not a lot of playoff success. However, we won't know until we see it. At least with Leinart, he did it in a big time environment against the best competition in college, while Pennington played in the mountains for Marshall. Pennington should be commended for the way he's handled NYC, the media, the expectations, etc. But you're never going to win it all when your QB throws for 6 yards on 3rd & 13.

Leinart doesn't have all the throws (that pick in the end zone vs. Texas last year comes to mind- a bit of a hanger) but I think he has a lot more pop than Pennington. But Leinart after two shoulder surgeries probably would look the same.