FG Holder Question.......

cåblelady

They said the only other starting QB who was a holder this year was Plummer, but he was replaced by Cutler. Romo was the holder all year because he was the backup to start the season, and they never changed after that.

Thanks! Sweetie.

Was Frank Reich the regular holder for Norwood/Christie? I remember The Comeback game he was holding for the winning kick.

You are correect, Reich was the holder. And I've read some posts on TSW arguing that Reich is to blame for Norwood missing the kick in SB XXV

They said the only other starting QB who was a holder this year was Plummer, but he was replaced by Cutler. Romo was the holder all year because he was the backup to start the season, and they never changed after that.

Nah Plummer was the holder all year....they meant he was replaced as starting QB...

Most (if not all) NFL teams use the second string QB or the Punter to hold place kicks. There are a few simple reasons.

1. Both positions are used to catching shotgun snaps and are (Romo's case excluded) supposed to have reliable hands to catch and place.

2. Punters and Backup QBs have more time during practice to work with the PK and Long Snapper while the rest of the team is doing 11/11 or 7/7s.

3. If you want to run a fake, it's nice to have someone back there who can throw or run a little.

I think the Bills use Morman for all of those reasons, plus he is the best overall athlete on the team. He's a nifty weapon to have back there.

I think the Bills use Morman for all of those reasons, plus he is the best overall athlete on the team. He's a nifty weapon to have back there.

As much as I like Morman, I really look forward to the day when we stop talking about our punter as being the best athlete or team MVP.

As much as I like Morman, I really look forward to the day when we stop talking about our punter as being the best athlete or team MVP.

Fine, but facts are facts. He is the best athlete on the team. Not the best football player, the best athlete. It's not a slight against the other guys on the team, it's just a testament to Morman's own talents.

Fine, but facts are facts. He is the best athlete on the team. Not the best football player, the best athlete. It's not a slight against the other guys on the team, it's just a testament to Morman's own talents.

I agree anytime you have a punter that runs a 50 second 400 hurdles and 13.5 second 110 hurdles you easily have to put mention him as one of the best athletes in the league. He was named D-II athlete of the year in 99 for his track and football accomplishments.

I completely agree. And I love it for Morman. I'm just sayin, how many Superbowl teams can say that their best athlete is their punter? I'm looking forward to the day when our punter becomes just another player and our best players and athletes are the QB, RB, LB, etc.

For the last 2 years, I actually enjoy our punts because I get to see Morman play. I'm sorry, but that's not a good indication for a team.

I recall watching an athletic skills competition on NFLN last summer. Moorman competed against other NFL guys (like Chad Johnson, Dwight Freeney, I cant remember the guys, but they were all freaks of nature). Anyway, in the obstacle course, Moorman knew he wasnt strong enough to push the sled, so he just sprinted by it and took the mandated penalty, and won the competition. However, they decided to change the rules on the spot and he was disqualified for not completing all events. But it goes to show the kind of athlete he is. It was amazing.

Sorry, that's what I meant to say.

And it WAS Reich's fault for Norwood missing the FG. But it never should have come down to that.

I'd blame Kelly more then Reich for the missed FG. I can still see 12 seconds left on the clock but no attempt for another play, as don't care who's kicking a 47 yard FG isn't easy for any kicker.