Sabres beat Leafs 4-3

loadofmularkey

Note to the NHL: Please remind the referees to continue to officiate the score everytime the Leafs play. It never gets old seeing them get marginal call after marginal call because they're constantly behind (especially when the opposing team is already down a man - that call on Teppo to put us down 2 for nearly the full 2 minutes was one of the worst I've seen this season).

Oh, and that icing call at the end was absolutely ludicrous.

The refs were pretty bad but the Sabres played like a bunch of sissies. Nothing like Sundin bumping Biron behind the net and Biron basically ending up in a shoving match with two Maple Leafs with no help in sight. Eventually Lydman and Campbell showed up and timidly tried to persuade the Leafs to leave their goalie alone. Protect your goalie! :blink:

Even when the Sabres win I wonder if they have enough toughness to win 16 times in the playoffs.

The refs were pretty bad but the Sabres played like a bunch of sissies. Nothing like Sundin bumping Biron behind the net and Biron basically ending up in a shoving match with two Maple Leafs with no help in sight. Eventually Lydman and Campbell showed up and timidly tried to persuade the Leafs to leave their goalie alone. Protect your goalie! :blink:

Even when the Sabres win I wonder if they have enough toughness to win 16 times in the playoffs.

The toughest teams are at the bottom of the standings (and their aren't many teams I'd consider tough). The only real exception to that rule is Calgary. I do agree that those guys needed to show some moxy at that point - it's not like Sundin was going to actually fight back. The only time he even acts tough is if he's cross checking some other Euro.

What, and risk getting another 5-3?

Had some nervous moments towards the end there. Good win to get off the loosing streak. By the way, slingbox is the coolest freakin thing ever. Love being able to get the msg feed out here in C-bus.

Is it your own slingbox feed or someone elses? Speaking of that - how about that for a website idea - trade slingbox passwords so you can watch anything anywhere....

The toughest teams are at the bottom of the standings (and their aren't many teams I'd consider tough). The only real exception to that rule is Calgary. I do agree that those guys needed to show some moxy at that point - it's not like Sundin was going to actually fight back. The only time he even acts tough is if he's cross checking some other Euro.
I don't need the Sabres to be the "toughest" team in the league, but they need some toughness. It seems like every team they play throws them all over the ice. I don't need a team of badasses, just some guys who can stand up for themselves. Right now if a Sabres gets roughed up and Gaustad or Mair isn't on the ice, then nothing is going to happen.

I don't question their talent, heart, or determination, but they take so much abuse on the ice that it's tough to see them as the last team standing come June. I hope Darcy makes a small trade to bring in a Mike Grier type in the next month or two.

I don't need the Sabres to be the "toughest" team in the league, but they need some toughness. It seems like every team they play throws them all over the ice. I don't need a team of badasses, just some guys who can stand up for themselves. Right now if a Sabres gets roughed up and Gaustad or Mair isn't on the ice, then nothing is going to happen.

I don't question their talent, heart, or determination, but they take so much abuse on the ice that it's tough to see them as the last team standing come June. I hope Darcy makes a small trade to bring in a Mike Grier type in the next month or two.

A "finesse" team not unlike the Isles of the late 1970's and early 1980's... Yet, the 1979 Islanders had dirt ball Billy Smith in net for 60 minutes enforcing and creating cheapshots... Not that cheapshots are warranted, but they were effective for the Isles in that DIFFERENT era.

I really miss Mike Grier too...

A "finesse" team not unlike the Isles of the late 1970's and early 1980's... Yet, the 1979 Islanders had dirt ball Billy Smith in net for 60 minutes enforcing and creating cheapshots... Not that cheapshots are warranted, but they were effective for the Isles in that DIFFERENT era.

I really miss Mike Grier too...

The Isles weren't exactly finesse. Gillies was a premier enforcer who could play. Potvin was Messier-like tough. Tonielli and Trottier could bang and brawl. The Sutters and Nystrom were bad asses who could take care of business. Team could skate too.

Today's Sabres versus yesterdays Isles? My money would be on the Islanders.

I wouldn't have minded keeping Chris Thorburn and cutting Peters coming out of the preseason. Thorburn had a year in Rochester where he had something like 22G and 27A. This year in the preseason, they played Pittsburgh several times, and Thorburn fought in every game. Then when the roster cuts came, the Sabres tried to sneak him back to the AHL through waivers, and the Pens picked him up.

He's got some grit, and is much more skillful and a better skater than Peters. Thorburn actually was a healthy scratch for the Pens game against the Sabres last Friday night, because the coach said he was too focused on hitting and wasn't concerned with the other parts of the game. How could a coach bench a guy for that?

Note to the NHL: Please remind the referees to continue to officiate the score everytime the Leafs play. It never gets old seeing them get marginal call after marginal call because they're constantly behind (especially when the opposing team is already down a man - that call on Teppo to put us down 2 for nearly the full 2 minutes was one of the worst I've seen this season).

Oh, and that icing call at the end was absolutely ludicrous.

I was actually up at a friends in Ontario and saying the same thing! The refs were trying their best to get the Leafs back in the game! :wallbash:

Imagine that? Me backing up what you claim :thumbdown:

I did notice in tonights game they had with Carolina it wasn't that way. Canes had a 6 or 7 - 2 pp advantage including a 2 man for almoet 2 full minutes. And Maybe the refs only do this for them aon Saturday night for HNIC?