proving once again he's the greatest nfl writer in the biz

I wonder why he didn't even rank London Fletcher-Baker.

The man gets no respect.

that's a good question. someone should e-mail him and ask him.

no one outside of buffalo seems to think very highly of fletcher, it seems. i have to admit, i don't follow very closely what happens in the scrum during running plays. maybe he doesn't get it done regularly. i simply don't know.

that's a good question. someone should e-mail him and ask him.

no one outside of buffalo seems to think very highly of fletcher, it seems. i have to admit, i don't follow very closely what happens in the scrum during running plays. maybe he doesn't get it done regularly. i simply don't know.

He gets it done regularly, just not where you want him to get it done. Many tackles 5-7 yards downfield. Still, his play v the pass this year was very strong IMO. A couple years ago he was the guy coming off the field on passing downs because he couldn't cover (supposedly). I like him, and he has meant a great deal to the psyche of the team, but I don't think we should re-sign him.

I wonder why he didn't even rank London Fletcher-Baker.

The man gets no respect.

The reason Fletcher did not come in the list is due to the run defense we had. Dr. Z used some #s at different positions to create some value for each position and ranked the players based on the stats. I think in the case of LBs, the # of yards rushed against them is used in his formula. Unfortunately for us, we gave up 4.7 Yards/Attempt and that will take fletcher completely out of the picture in his rankings.

I can't remember who I heard discussing Fletcher, maybe Joe D, but he said that Fletcher is great sideline to sideline and can run down RBs when they're outside the tackles. The main problem with Fletcher is in the run game. He's basically unable to shed blocks due to his size and when a OL gets out on him, he gets run down and becomes ineffective. And he's good in pass coverage but at his position, he needs to be better against the run.

I can't remember who I heard discussing Fletcher, maybe Joe D, but he said that Fletcher is great sideline to sideline and can run down RBs when they're outside the tackles. The main problem with Fletcher is in the run game. He's basically unable to shed blocks due to his size and when a OL gets out on him, he gets run down and becomes ineffective. And he's good in pass coverage but at his position, he needs to be better against the run.

thanks - makes sense.

What about Lindell? How does he not get mentioned. He missed two kicks all year? He was blistering outside 40 yds in the windy Buffalo conditions? Why does that logic apply to Moorman but not Lindell?

you can't please everyone - there are a lot of good players in the league, and dr. z is somewhat idiosyncratic (albeit intelligent and thoughtful) with regard to his choices.

clements had a good year, but he was nowhere near as good as the raiders guy - who was flat out dominant - or bailey. it was sort of a case closed kinda thing there ...

I noticed that even in his rookie year, Jets' center Nick Mangold was considered among the top centers. Dr. Z's played offensive line himself, so he probably knows a thing or two about grading offensive linemen.

Which brings me to my next point: Bill from NYC. I'm sure he's forgotten all about the fact that before and during the draft, he was practically begging the Bills to trade down and take Mangold. Doubtless he feels no frustration at all with the fact that had the Bills followed his advice, they'd have one of the best centers in the league (as a rookie!) plus Denver's second round pick.

i never liked Dr. Z's writing.

this article does nothing to change my opinion.

To each his own, I guess. To my mind, he's pretty much the only football writer who knows how to write (or, more than this, reads actual books), although I certainly think Don Banks is pretty solid. But then it's always been the case that SI gets the best writers - it's the biggest platform and the pay more than anyone else.

The worst is Pasquarelli, who is an absolute butcher with the English language.