Bring Fred Taylor to Buffalo

1billsfan

I know I'm going to get blasted for this one but hear me out at least.

First off, the reason I'm bringing this subject up is that I think the Bills might need to go in a different direction in regards to the runningback position. Willis McGahee just doesn't seem reliable enough for the 2007 season. There are too many questions regarding him. Why wasn't he able to break 1000 yards? Why does he go down so easily yet when he plays the Jets he's a one man terror? Does he even like it in Buffalo? Does he always give his best effort? Why was he looking for a contract extension before he had even reached 1000 yards for the season? Did he think his production was worthy of being rewarded with an extension? Is it the offensive line? Does he care more about winning a Superbowl or does he care more about wanting outside media attention?

I think Willis is immature. I think it will take a few more seasons before he starts reaching his true potential of which I think there's still a lot of. But I don't think Willis is a good fit for this team right here right now. I think the Bills should trade him for what that can get (2nd? 3rd?) and trade that pick to Jacksonville for Taylor.

Jacksonville already has Fred Taylor's replacement in that Drew kid who ran over our's and many other defenses in the NFL this season. Yet Taylor is still only a year younger than Tiki Barber who people are saying is leaving in the prime of his career. Taylor is big (230), tough and runs hard every snap. He's always been professional and a team leader for that Jaguars team. He has had a history of injuries, but that was earlier in his career. Taylor has averaged over 1000 yards and 4.5 per carry the last five seasons. Looking at Fred's and Tiki's career stats, they measure up very favorably...

Fred Taylor

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12753

Tiki Barber

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1782

As for history of older runningbacks on Superbowl champs (which is what we what for our team), ther are many Superbowl winners that had a veteran runningback that was a key member of the team getting there and winning it all...

Jerome Bettis

Cory Dillion

Antoine Smith

Otis Anderson

John Riggins

I think if the Bills were to bring in Fred Taylor they'd do well to go hard after Eric Steinbach, then draft MLB Patrick Willis and a run stuffing DT with their first two picks.

I like Fred Taylor and think that he is very talented, but he has only played a full 16 game schedule in 2 of his 9 years.

That being said, if the price is right, I would certainly pull the trigger.

Taylor is locked up in Jacksonville for a very long time. He was born outside of Jacksonville, played at UF, and will retire a Jag. And there is no way the Bills should trade for Taylor -- the cost would be too high for an aging, often injured, yet at times great RB.

Taylor is locked up in Jacksonville for a very long time. He was born outside of Jacksonville, played at UF, and will retire a Jag. And there is no way the Bills should trade for Taylor -- the cost would be too high for an aging, often injured, yet at times great RB.

I believe he is a free agent and wants 5 mil a year and will most likely be playing elsewhere next year with the emergence of maurice Jones Drew

Remember Fred Taylor could have been our draft pick but we traded that pick to JAX for Rob Johnson :rolleyes:

if the Bills didnt make the trade for RJ and kept their pick the rumor was they would have picked Tra Thomas

I believe he is a free agent and wants 5 mil a year and will most likely be playing elsewhere next year with the emergence of maurice Jones Drew

I thought he signed a 5 year extension in the offseason last year prior to the draft?

According to the nflpa, taylor has 1 more year on his deal, and he's going to make 2.55 mil this upcoming season.

According to the nflpa, taylor has 1 more year on his deal, and he's going to make 2.55 mil this upcoming season.

Ah, okay. I was wrong. Mia culpa. I thought he signed a long term extension last off season, but knew he was still under contract. Regardless, the Bills should not trade for him and I doubt very much he leaves Jacksonville even with Drew there.

First off, the reason I'm bringing this subject up is that I think the Bills might need to go in a different direction in regards to the runningback position. Willis McGahee just doesn't seem reliable enough for the 2007 season. There are too many questions regarding him. Why wasn't he able to break 1000 yards? Why does he go down so easily yet when he plays the Jets he's a one man terror? Does he even like it in Buffalo? Does he always give his best effort? Why was he looking for a contract extension before he had even reached 1000 yards for the season? Did he think his production was worthy of being rewarded with an extension? Is it the offensive line? Does he care more about winning a Superbowl or does he care more about wanting outside media attention?

I think Willis is immature. I think it will take a few more seasons before he starts reaching his true potential of which I think there's still a lot of. But I don't think Willis is a good fit for this team right here right now. I think the Bills should trade him for what that can get (2nd? 3rd?) and trade that pick to Jacksonville for Taylor.

Jacksonville already has Fred Taylor's replacement in that Drew kid who ran over our's and many other defenses in the NFL this season. Yet Taylor is still only a year younger that Tiki Barber who people are saying is leaving in the prime of his career. Taylor is big (230), tough and runs hard every snap. He's always been professional and a team leader for that Jaguars team. He has had a history of injuries, but that was earlier in his career. Taylor has averaged over 1000 yards and 4.5 per carry the last five seasons. Looking at Fred's and Tiki's career stats, they measure up very favorably...

Fred Taylor

Tiki Barber

As for history of older runningbacks on Superbowl champs (which is what we what for our team), ther are many Superbowl winners that had a veteran runningback that was a key member of the team getting there and winning it all...

Jerome Bettis

Cory Dillion

Antoine Smith

Otis Anderson

John Riggins

I think if the Bills were to bring in Fred Taylor they'd do well to go hard after Eric Steinbach, then draft MLB Patrick Willis and a run stuffing DT with their first two picks.

As well you should be :rolleyes: . He is old and can not stay healthy. The only reason he had the year he did is because of the way Drew came out and played.

Jacksonville already has Fred Taylor's replacement in that Drew kid who ran over our's and many other defenses in the NFL this season. Yet Taylor is still only a year younger that Tiki Barber who people are saying is leaving in the prime of his career. Taylor is big (230), tough and runs hard every snap. He's always been professional and a team leader for that Jaguars team. He has had a history of injuries, but that was earlier in his career. Taylor has averaged over 1000 yards and 4.5 per carry the last five seasons. Looking at Fred's and Tiki's career stats, they measure up very favorably...

Fred Taylor

Tiki Barber

Jerome Bettis

Cory Dillion

Antoine Smith

Otis Anderson

John Riggins

I wouldn't mind Fred Taylor, but he gurts hurt almost every time he gets tackled. How about trading Willis and signing Ladell Betts (or Dominic Rhodes)?

As well you should be :rolleyes: . He is old and can not stay healthy. The only reason he had the year he did is because of the way Drew came out and played.

Oh really????

2002 = 16 starts/1314 yards rushing/408 receiving

2003 = 16 starts/1572 yards rushing/370 receiving

2004 = 14 starts/1224 yards rushing/345 receiving

2006 = 15 starts/1146 yards rushing/242 receiving

Your best case was 2005 where he still had 11 starts.

Kind of shoots down your "the only reason he had the year he did..." theory. This guy is well known throughout the league for being professional and playing hard all the time.

Jacksonville already has Fred Taylor's replacement in that Drew kid who ran over our's and many other defenses in the NFL this season. Yet Taylor is still only a year younger than Tiki Barber who people are saying is leaving in the prime of his career. Taylor is big (230), tough and runs hard every snap. He's always been professional and a team leader for that Jaguars team. He has had a history of injuries, but that was earlier in his career. Taylor has averaged over 1000 yards and 4.5 per carry the last five seasons. Looking at Fred's and Tiki's career stats, they measure up very favorably...

Fred Taylor

Tiki Barber

Jerome Bettis

Cory Dillion

Antoine Smith

Otis Anderson

John Riggins

Cant blast you when I agree with you man........

I just dont think Willis is giving it his all here in Buffalo. A part of me thinks hes saving himself for another team. Its not that I dislike Willis, I just dislike the way he plays on the field. That Baltimore game sumed it up for me, he didnt even look like he wanted to be there. All this talk with his agent to extend his contract, he goes out has 11 carries for 23 yards with a fumble, nice way to let a team know they better extend you.

My only concern with Fred Taylor is that he has been finding the injury bug during seasons, more so then other RB's. Can he hold up to the pounding he would take in Buffalo late in the year in cold weather? Im not so sure. Hes a good talent indeed. But thats my only question about him.

If we were to trade or let McGahee walk, The RB id love to see in Buffalo is Michael Turner. hes a Home Threat and can break away for long TD runs. Another reason why I like him is cause hes not beat up like most RB out there. He has not taken on a load with the Chargers, hes taken over for LT when season has been wrapped up and they are trying to rest LT. So there is a question with Turner aswell, can he endure a full season of handling the RB duties with a team?

I like Fred Taylor, I love the way he plays the game. I also like Turner who I think is a great RB thats not getting his chances behind the league best RB to ever play the game.

So if I had to pick, I take Turner. Only cause hes the RB that has the freshest body and might have the more upside in the long run.

I am a big Fred Taylor fan and love watching him play. Very underrated player who gets unfairly knocked for missing games. Fragile Fred is a ignorant statement. Besides the 2001 season Fred Taylor has been quite durable

I am a big Fred Taylor fan and love watching him play. Very underrated player who gets unfairly knocked for missing games. Fragile Fred is a ignorant statement. Besides the 2001 season Fred Taylor has been quite durable

I like Fred Taylor to.........

Hes a good character player, atleast I think so. When I got to see him play this year against the Bills, he was always cheering for the defense, he was always giving guys high fives, he was always trying to help others on the team. Taylor is a character guy that fits what Marvs looking for......

I think with Jones-Drew down in Jacksonville, i think they will look to get rid of Taylor and get some more WR help with that team. They have some guys who are not playing to their abilities.

I wouldnt have a problem having Fred Taylor on the Buffalo Bills.........

Not that I'm a big Willis supporter, but I do think that too many of us have opinions that are just that opinions and not based in reality. I'll attempt to answer a few of the questions, with my opinions. Ultimately, I think the Bills braintrust will have the best answer to all these questions and make the right choice. Ultimately, I could care less if Willis stays or goes; I just want a better run offense. But more importantly, I think it more critical that we stop the run first. If dealing with Willis takes any time from that discussion, then I think the Bills Mgmt should wait a year, seeing as how he's still under contract.

Why wasn't he able to break 1000 yards?

Good question actaully. I'd blame a little on our offense as whole. We were a pretty bad offensive team for the most part and by the time we started to come together a little Willis was already playing injured. But, I do agree, it seems his yardage should have been hirer. Granted it should be mentioned he missed considerable playing time with his injuries.

Why does he go down so easily yet when he plays the Jets he's a one man terror?

I'd argue that most backs go down when they're hit. Willis very seldomly got to hit the line or the defender at full speed, so its harder to bowl over defenders when initial contact is made in the backfield. Perhaps the Jet run D is one thing our coaches have figured out; hence his better numbers with them. Of course, it could be motivation on Willis' part. If so, then I'd say... how do we motivate him for all teams is a worthwhile question for Bills Mgmt.

Does he even like it in Buffalo?

Irrelevant to his success as a running back, IMO.

Does he always give his best effort?

Certainly, this is relevant and something I've wondered as well. However, playing with broken ribs, ankle injuries, stomach ailments, and the like would seem to suggest that he's putting some effort into playing. The one thing that's hardest for us to know is how did all these injuries affect his play. Maybe the coaches should have pulled him due to him not being 100% (ala Kelly in the Redskin Superbowl after his concussion). Sometimes players want to play, but the coaches should say jsut say no.

effort? Why was he looking for a contract extension before he had even reached 1000 yards for the season? Did he think his production was worthy of being rewarded with an extension?

I'm lumping these together because they're all similar. I would argue this is a good thing and perhaps helps answer the question about him liking Buffalo. If he didn't like it here and wanted to leave for more money, wouldn't it make more sense to ride out his contract and run to a higher bidder asap. By asking for an extension, he's saying.. hey I like it here and would like to stay. Of course, he wants to get a pay raise, but who doesn't want a raise. But, the fact that he asked for an extension and not a release seems to imply that he likes it here and wants to stay. Why is this a bad thing that's got so many people upset?

Is it the offensive line?

Unquestionably the line is a factor in the running back's production. And we all know our line is less than stellar. Is that all of the problem? Perhaps not, but it's certainly a part of the problem.

Does he care more about winning a Superbowl or does he care more about wanting outside media attention?

I think Willis is the only one that could answer that. If asked, I'm sure he'd say the Superbowl regardless of whether its true or not. If I were a coach, I'd ask him; as well as explain that the best way to get the attention and movie contracts, etc. is to win a superbowl.

Just my few thought's on the Willis debate.

Not that I'm a big Willis supporter, but I do think that too many of us have opinions that are just that opinions and not based in reality. I'll attempt to answer a few of the questions, with my opinions. Ultimately, I think the Bills braintrust will have the best answer to all these questions and make the right choice. Ultimately, I could care less if Willis stays or goes; I just want a better run offense. But more importantly, I think it more critical that we stop the run first. If dealing with Willis takes any time from that discussion, then I think the Bills Mgmt should wait a year, seeing as how he's still under contract.

Why wasn't he able to break 1000 yards?

Good question actaully. I'd blame a little on our offense as whole. We were a pretty bad offensive team for the most part and by the time we started to come together a little Willis was already playing injured. But, I do agree, it seems his yardage should have been hirer. Granted it should be mentioned he missed considerable playing time with his injuries.

Why does he go down so easily yet when he plays the Jets he's a one man terror?

I'd argue that most backs go down when they're hit. Willis very seldomly got to hit the line or the defender at full speed, so its harder to bowl over defenders when initial contact is made in the backfield. Perhaps the Jet run D is one thing our coaches have figured out; hence his better numbers with them. Of course, it could be motivation on Willis' part. If so, then I'd say... how do we motivate him for all teams is a worthwhile question for Bills Mgmt.

Does he even like it in Buffalo?

Irrelevant to his success as a running back, IMO.

Does he always give his best effort?

Certainly, this is relevant and something I've wondered as well. However, playing with broken ribs, ankle injuries, stomach ailments, and the like would seem to suggest that he's putting some effort into playing. The one thing that's hardest for us to know is how did all these injuries affect his play. Maybe the coaches should have pulled him due to him not being 100% (ala Kelly in the Redskin Superbowl after his concussion). Sometimes players want to play, but the coaches should say jsut say no.

effort? Why was he looking for a contract extension before he had even reached 1000 yards for the season? Did he think his production was worthy of being rewarded with an extension?

I'm lumping these together because they're all similar. I would argue this is a good thing and perhaps helps answer the question about him liking Buffalo. If he didn't like it here and wanted to leave for more money, wouldn't it make more sense to ride out his contract and run to a higher bidder asap. By asking for an extension, he's saying.. hey I like it here and would like to stay. Of course, he wants to get a pay raise, but who doesn't want a raise. But, the fact that he asked for an extension and not a release seems to imply that he likes it here and wants to stay. Why is this a bad thing that's got so many people upset?

Is it the offensive line?

Unquestionably the line is a factor in the running back's production. And we all know our line is less than stellar. Is that all of the problem? Perhaps not, but it's certainly a part of the problem.

Does he care more about winning a Superbowl or does he care more about wanting outside media attention?

I think Willis is the only one that could answer that. If asked, I'm sure he'd say the Superbowl regardless of whether its true or not. If I were a coach, I'd ask him; as well as explain that the best way to get the attention and movie contracts, etc. is to win a superbowl.

Just my few thought's on the Willis debate.

Great response! There's much to ponder about our runningback. I wonder if the front office is having the same debate.

i am all for bringing in a new RB.

but i want a NEW RB, not an old, injury prone RB.

Too bad his stats the last 5 years don't support your argument.

Who's the "new" RB you're looking for the Bills to get?

It's too important of a position to roll the dice on a young/rookie RB when your team is looking for a playoff run the next few seasons.