Paul Mcartney Drug Timeline

millbank

Paul Mcartney On Drugs

I’m Looking Through You

1965, Rubber Soul

Ripped on weed, McCartney sees deeply into his then girlfriend, model Jane Asher, and decides she’s a phony. This story has been told by McCartney himself.

Yellow Submarine

1966, Revolver

On the surface, a child’s rhyme; but the song was taken as a winking assertion of hippie, psychedelic, drop out escape from the dreary mainstream culture into the upcoming party utopia. It was even adapted by some new left activists as a theme song for those seeking an alternative culture.

With A Little Help From My Friends

1967, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

He gets high with a little help from his friends. What does he see when he turns out the lights?

Fixing A Hole

1967, Sgt. Peppers

Taken by some to be a heroin song (fixing being a term used for shooting up], but also works as a contemplative pothead song or, for that matter, a plain old contemplative person’s song. Another song lyric with a drop out vibe.

Lovely Rita

1967, Sgt. Peppers

“When are you free to take some tea with me?” George Harrison has commented that The Beatles frequently used tea as a pseudonym for pot. On the other hand, they were Limeys, so maybe tea is just tea.

Paul Mcartney On Drugs

I’m Looking Through You

1965, Rubber Soul

Ripped on weed, McCartney sees deeply into his then girlfriend, model Jane Asher, and decides she’s a phony. This story has been told by McCartney himself.

Yellow Submarine

1966, Revolver

On the surface, a child’s rhyme; but the song was taken as a winking assertion of hippie, psychedelic, drop out escape from the dreary mainstream culture into the upcoming party utopia. It was even adapted by some new left activists as a theme song for those seeking an alternative culture.

With A Little Help From My Friends

1967, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

He gets high with a little help from his friends. What does he see when he turns out the lights?

Fixing A Hole

1967, Sgt. Peppers

Taken by some to be a heroin song (fixing being a term used for shooting up], but also works as a contemplative pothead song or, for that matter, a plain old contemplative person’s song. Another song lyric with a drop out vibe.

Lovely Rita

1967, Sgt. Peppers

“When are you free to take some tea with me?” George Harrison has commented that The Beatles frequently used tea as a pseudonym for pot. On the other hand, they were Limeys, so maybe tea is just tea.

What about Got to Get You into My Life??

The "you" throughout the song is meant to be pot as Paul claimed it is better than booze because when on it one can function and there is never a hangover.

Also "I'd love to turn you on" from Day in the Life is a notoriously blatant shout out- along with "went upstairs and had a smoke and somebody spoke and I went into a dream"

I'm sure you knew all this, but if not ENJOY!

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Truly ground breaking.

Two things:

1.) According to the song's writer (John Lennon), the name of the song is in now way an intentional reference to the drug. In fact, (according the the song's writer John Lennon) Julian Lennon (the son of the song's writer) drew a picture at school of a classmate flying through the night time sky. When he showed it to his father (the song's author) and was asked what it was he replied, "It's Lucy in the sky with diamonds."

2.) The song was written almost entirely by John Lennon.

Man I love being a smug, over-educated fan of The Beatles.

Truly ground breaking.

Two things:

1.) According to the song's writer (John Lennon), the name of the song is in now way an intentional reference to the drug. In fact, (according the the song's writer John Lennon) Julian Lennon (the son of the song's writer) drew a picture at school of a classmate flying through the night time sky. When he showed it to his father (the song's author) and was asked what it was he replied, "It's Lucy in the sky with diamonds."

2.) The song was written almost entirely by John Lennon.

Man I love being a smug, over-educated fan of The Beatles.

Thanks!

And to boot, the thread was a PMc one...

My bad!

Biggest Beatles fan in the world right here. Big Bill Hicks fan too- RIP bro-

You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years … rrreal !@#$ing high on drugs. The Beatles were so !@#$ing high they let Ringo sing a few tunes.

I read a great book about Pink Floyd called Saucerful of Secrets and ended up learning more about The Beatles than about Pink Floyd. Good stories about how Pink Floyd and The Beatles influenced each other while recording albums in nearby studios.