My prediction

I know it sounds silly but I do not think they are happy with Willis....his production this year was not that great and he wants to be paid like a top shelf RB (which he is not)...so he holds out and we draft a RB to cover the loss next year.

I'm inclined to say the same thing. This thread will either go nowhere or will be shot down by folks making excuses for Willis (i.e. defenses he faced, injuries, OL, etc.). All of these points are valid, but in the unquantifiable esoteric sense, I agree that it is likely this coaching administration isn't thrilled with his game-day contributions. His heart and stamina cannot be questioned but his numbers can, so we'll have to wait and see.

I believe draft forecasts to be futile after how surpised most fans were last year with the selections made. But, the fact of the matter remains: after one year the 2006 draft was NOT a bust and Marv and co. have a plan and know what they're doing. Whether or not the fan base is on the same page is yet to be determined.

Look at some of the playoff teams:

Reggie Bush and Deuce McCallister

Maroney and Dillon

Addai and Rhodes

Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson

Always good to have great depth at RB. Maybe this is a new trend developing.

While I am not sure Marv will draft a RB in the 1st round...I bet he takes one in the first three rounds.

Look at some of the playoff teams:

Reggie Bush and Deuce McCallister

Maroney and Dillon

Addai and Rhodes

Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson

Always good to have great depth at RB. Maybe this is a new trend developing.

While I am not sure Marv will draft a RB in the 1st round...I bet he takes one in the first three rounds.

The difference is attitutde. WM is a "me-me" guy--he'll put up such a stink the minute the Bills spend a high draft pick on a RB.

I don't like WM and would love to see him leave. But the better move would be for Marv and Co. to use a high draft pick on a RB next year, after WM's contract expire. Sure, draft a 4th or 5th rounder for depth. But don't waste a high pick this year when we're going to need serious o-line, d-line, and CB help.

I'd have to go all Bill in NYC on you if they used a first or second rounder on an RB. Trying to improve on an adequate starter at one position while ignoring the glaring needs of the team at several others is a recipe for continued mediocrity.

I actually think Willis will have a career year, come into next year in the best shape of his life and finally show us why he has the skills to be an elite back.

Afterall, it's his contract year :w00t:

Have we filled our daily quota of posts attacking WM today?

the better move would be for Marv and Co. to use a high draft pick on a RB next year, after WM's contract expire. Sure, draft a 4th or 5th rounder for depth. But don't waste a high pick this year when we're going to need serious o-line, d-line, and CB help.

I think this is a likely scenario, considering Marv is at the helm. This also gives us the luxury of extending Willis if something changes next season. we won't then have committed to a 1st or 2nd round RB too early...

Aint Happening, he will be a Houston Texan. The guy is an unbelievable talent and I dont see hom dropping past #5.

This puzzles me beyond anything...I agree wth you that Peterson will not fall past five, and that the texans probably do need a solid RB... but how bad is that staff gonna feel, and how much sh$t are they gonna take, after passing on reggie bush last year, then drafting a RB with their first pick this year???? Just seems so upside down, they will NEVER live it down.

As far as us drafting a RB it would be a bit frustrating since all I wanted for christmas was two dominant lines. I just get the feeling that with stability in the trenches this team could do very well. However, there would be a lil bit of sweet aftertaste if they do draft RB early since rookie RBs seem to be able to perform right away and also because Willis will have a fire lit under his rear end which tends to make him play at his potential(high) level. :w00t:

Houston does not need a RB...It needs help on the OL...

They drafted 2 rookies and started bothe last year, they have to give a little time for them to develop. Gado, Lundy and Dayne are not the 3 backs I want leading my team. They will take Peterson and build the franchise around him. A good Rb can make a bad OL that much better. They cant be shiitty forever.

This puzzles me beyond anything...I agree wth you that Peterson will not fall past five, and that the texans probably do need a solid RB... but how bad is that staff gonna feel, and how much sh$t are they gonna take, after passing on reggie bush last year, then drafting a RB with their first pick this year???? Just seems so upside down, they will NEVER live it down.

As far as us drafting a RB it would be a bit frustrating since all I wanted for christmas was two dominant lines. I just get the feeling that with stability in the trenches this team could do very well. However, there would be a lil bit of sweet aftertaste if they do draft RB early since rookie RBs seem to be able to perform right away and also because Willis will have a fire lit under his rear end which tends to make him play at his potential(high) level. :w00t:

Which validates my point as to why they would not pass on Peterson. Why they took Williams will puzzle us forever, supposedly they didnt want a hold out and they new Bush wanted a massive deal. Williams deal has no signing bonus. He plays his contract, I think that was the big selling point.

With RBs, you can get a lot of performance from a rookie. As such, I wouldn't be compelled to draft one in the first two rounds until we actually had a gaping hole at the position. You can learn on the job. THis isn't to say that you can plug in any old RB, but you can get away with a rookie far better.

With RBs, you can get a lot of performance from a rookie. As such, I wouldn't be compelled to draft one in the first two rounds until we actually had a gaping hole at the position. You can learn on the job. THis isn't to say that you can plug in any old RB, but you can get away with a rookie far better.

Yep, I think you let McGahee play out his contract and then evaluate your options. I would be completely unsurprised to see an early RB pick next year, but not this year.

Which validates my point as to why they would not pass on Peterson. Why they took Williams will puzzle us forever, supposedly they didnt want a hold out and they new Bush wanted a massive deal. Williams deal has no signing bonus. He plays his contract, I think that was the big selling point.

i doubt that Mario's contract had NO signing bonus. And even if it does, he's got over $20 million in guaranteed money, which is the same as a SB. The only difference is when he gets his guaranteed money. Make no mistake, he got a guaranteed $20+ million just for signing on the dotted line.

i doubt that Mario's contract had NO signing bonus. And even if it does, he's got over $20 million in guaranteed money, which is the same as a SB. The only difference is when he gets his guaranteed money. Make no mistake, he got a guaranteed $20+ million just for signing on the dotted line.

Thats fine but I recall specifically that there was no signing bonus. Let me check.

Houston does still have Dominack "my name used to be davis" Williams, who has had some success there. Gary Kubiak is a disciple of the Mike Shanahan theory of running backs, which works against spending a top-5 pick on one. My gut feeling is that they go line in the first round.