Would you have voted for L.T. for MVP?

ACor58

I say no. Don't get me wrong, he was incredible this season. But if you take LT off of the Chargers, you still have Michael Turner, and the Chargers are still in the playoffs.

If you take Drew Brees off of the Saints, you have Jamie Martin and the Saints are in the Brady Quinn sweepstakes.

I say no. Don't get me wrong, he was incredible this season. But if you take LT off of the Chargers, you still have Michael Turner, and the Chargers are still in the playoffs.

If you take Drew Brees off of the Saints, you have Jamie Martin and the Saints are in the Brady Quinn sweepstakes.

I disagree, I doubt the chargers make the playoffs. Having LT helped keep the pressure off the young QB and had teams fearing the running game. Turner is good, but not close to LT and would not be feared as much by other teams.

Brees was a good canidate for MVP too and could be deserving of a co-MVP like they did a couple years ago with Peyton and McNair I believe

Michael Turner is not LT.

Do you really think Michael Turner would score 31 touchdowns in a season?

Do you really think Philip Rivers would be anything without LT?

Teams plan for LT not Rivers so Rivers looks like a Pro Bowl QB.

An interesting question.

If the award were for Most Outstanding Player, the answer is yes.

If the award is for the player most valuable to his team, the answer is Drew Brees, because without him, the Saints are as bad as they were last year. Brees' leadership and amazing comeback galvanized the Saints to play very, very well for most of the season...and they are my NFC pick for the Super Bowl.

Now, if Brees can do for the city of New Orleans what he's done for the Saints, then we might have something.

The Cowboys aren't America's team any more. The New Orleans Saints are.

It depends what "Most Valuable Player" means. Take him away and the team suffers the most? I mean, let's say I got signed by the Browns to back up Charlie Frye. Wouldn't that make him the most valuable player in the league? I don't think we can reasonably consider the relative values of Jamie Martin and Michael Turner in determining the most valuable player - you need a generic, replacement-kind of QB and RB.

Then there's the sort of weirdness about the value of the supporting cast. In some ways, this makes sense - if Tomlinson has a superb offensive line (he does), then you have to consider the fact that while a generic RB couldn't score 31 TDs, he might be able to run well enough to get you a playoff berth. Note that Brees had really excellent receivers, too.

Then, of course, there's the breakdown between total skill and net effort - would you really take Brees over Manning? If you swap them, are the Saints improved?

Brees had a great year, but the unquestionable MVP was LT. Take him away, and rivers would have carried the team to an 8-8 maybe a 9-7 record. Turner is good, but unproven.

All LT did was score 31 TD's, and pass for 2 more. He had a hand in 33 TD's this year. That means that LT, by himself, gave the chargers 14 points per game.