Don Shula

Adam

Not impressed with him or his comments. Sure, maybe Saban could have handled things a bit better, but I think he was doing nothing more than trying to talk himself into staying in Miami.

Shula comes off as very bitter about the Miami and Alabama situations. Maybe even about himself, considering how he finished his last decade

Not impressed with him or his comments. Sure, maybe Saban could have handled things a bit better, but I think he was doing nothing more than trying to talk himself into staying in Miami.

Shula comes off as very bitter about the Miami and Alabama situations. Maybe even about himself, considering how he finished his last decade

I think there is just too much history here in this feud.

On one hand Saban left the dolphins high and dry by quitting after 2 seasons without putting a program in place. The Dolphins are in shambles with big question marks at the QB position and OL and an aging defense with no replacements in sight.

On the other hand, Saban is replacing Shulas son David Shula as the HC at Alabama.

These two things can definitely bring bitterness to Don Shula.

what did he say??

I caught him on Mike n Mike (ESPN) this morning. Assuming that's what everyone's referring to, he was openly bitter about how Alabama treated his son. AL is just coming off NCAA probations and scholarship restrictions and DS said next season would be the first season Mike could compete in the SEC "on a level playing field").

Something I found really interesting: he kept getting ID'd as current vice chairman of the Dolphins (as well as former coach), but always referred to the Dolphins as "they" and never as "us."

what did he say??

Snipped from espn web site.

Miami Dolphins legendary coach Don Shula told ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike that he wasn't too thrilled about the way Alabama dismissed his son as coach -- or the way Nick Saban left the Dolphins.

To listen, click here.Insider

And that's not all. Shula told the Miami Herald:

• That Saban let the Dolphins down: "He has run away from the challenge."

• That Saban lied: "It's unbelievable. There were four or five direct statements that were blatant lies. That tells you a little bit about the guy."

• That Saban quit: "That's obvious. He quit. He left."

• That Saban is a fraud: "What other conclusion can you draw? The guy likes to hear himself talk and then doesn't follow up on what he says."

How can you argue with any of that? Issuing flat denials (which no one believed) and then taking the Alabama job displayed a complete lack of class. I know Saban's not the only guy out there doing this sort of thing, but it's pretty repugnant.

"I guess I have to say it, I'm not going to be the Alabama coach." - Nick Saban 12/21/06

As I said- probably trying to convince himself, more than anything. As far as not being good at the NFL level, nothing was proved either way- 2 years doesn't prove anything.

How can you argue with any of that? Issuing flat denials (which no one believed) and then taking the Alabama job displayed a complete lack of class. I know Saban's not the only guy out there doing this sort of thing, but it's pretty repugnant.

Saban did the right thing. We knew he was leaving. He knew he was leaving. The Fins SHOULDVE known he was leaving. But what can he say??!!??

Do what Jim Mora did "as a a joke" and completely lose his team, and the have whole thing crumble?

He had a job to do, he hadnt spoken to Alabama yet... He has to say he's staying.

If he had said "Yeah, im outta here in 3 weeks. But im gonna stick around and watch this teams morale crumble for a month." everyone would be complaining about that. he did what he had to do.

And more than anything, F the dolphins. :w00t:

Saban did the right thing. We knew he was leaving. He knew he was leaving. The Fins SHOULDVE known he was leaving. But what can he say??!!??

"No comment"?

That at least has the virtue of not being a complete falsehood. If he wanted to dodge, duck, and weave around the issue, fine. Don't flat-out deny it then turn around and take the job.

"No comment"?

That at least has the virtue of not being a complete falsehood. If he wanted to dodge, duck, and weave around the issue, fine. Don't flat-out deny it then turn around and take the job.

yeah, i guess thats right. he shouldve refused to acknowledge any questions about it. but im guessing that only works for so long when the press is constantly hounding you about it.

either way, he was in a tough spot. and i understand why he did what he did. i dont think this situation outs him a pathological liar or anything. it was a jerk move, but sometimes you gotta make the jerk move.

i still love anyone who ditches the dolphins. he just made my xmas card list, right after ricky williams. :w00t: