Sabres vs. Senators

BB27

To those of you who saw this game.. Why does this team seem to have our number this year?

Our PP can't do schit against them (it's a struggle to even get set up) and their PP is automatic against us. Emery has been better than Miller. They play balls-to-the-wall, probably because of the unceremonious playoff exit last year (similar to Buffalo going 4-0 against Carolina this year.) And they aren't scared of us.

That seems to be about it.

Our PP can't do schit against them (it's a struggle to even get set up) and their PP is automatic against us. Emery has been better than Miller. They play balls-to-the-wall, probably because of the unceremonious playoff exit last year (similar to Buffalo going 4-0 against Carolina this year.) And they aren't scared of us.

That seems to be about it.

Is it though? Is it simply a case of our special teams not executing against them, versus executing capably enough versus the rest of the NHL. Or do they present unique matchup problems or play a different strategy against us than the rest of the NHL. I know they are one of the few teams that can skate with us, but maybe its more than that.

I know they smoked us last year, but we got to them in the playoffs (might have been different with a healthy Dom, however).

While I'm a big Sabres fan, I'm not a hockey expert. Hopefully, someone with a little more knowledge can enlighten me.

Is it though? Is it simply a case of our special teams not executing against them, versus executing capably enough versus the rest of the NHL. Or do they present unique matchup problems or play a different strategy against us than the rest of the NHL. I know they are one of the few teams that can skate with us, but maybe its more than that.

I don't know. Obviously, with Alfredson, Heatley, and Spezza (who is out for 4-6 weeks) Ottawa has three of the most supremely skilled players in the league. But it seems to come down to special teams when we play them.

Game 1- Sabres win 4-3.

Buffalo 1-7 on the PP; Ottawa 0-8 on the PP

Game 2- Senators win 4-2

Ottawa 2-6 on the PP, and scored 1 SHG; Buffalo 0-6 on the PP

Game 3- Senators win 4-1

Ottawa 2-9 on the PP; Buffalo 0-5 on the PP

Game 4- Senators win 3-1

Ottawa 2-4 on the PP; Buffalo 1-6 on the PP

Game 5- Senators win 6-3

Ottawa 3-4 on the PP, and scored 1 SHG; Buffalo 1-5 on the PP

In all of those games, the special teams goals were the difference. Clearly, playing at even strength, the teams are very evenly matched. Of the Sabres four wins in the playoffs last year vs. Ottawa, three were in OT, and the other was a 2-1 victory. When you match up with a team so evenly, a lot of times, special teams makes all the difference.

In all of those games, the special teams goals were the difference. Clearly, playing at even strength, the teams are very evenly matched. Of the Sabres four wins in the playoffs last year vs. Ottawa, three were in OT, and the other was a 2-1 victory. When you match up with a team so evenly, a lot of times, special teams makes all the difference.

But why do we have such trouble setting up the PP against them? Yes, they have skilled players, but so do we. I thought our PK was improving with the return of Tallinder, and it was prior to this game.

In yesterday's game, its true Miller could have played better. I just wonder if this team still, to a point, has our number.

But why do we have such trouble setting up the PP against them? Yes, they have skilled players, but so do we. I thought our PK was improving with the return of Tallinder, and it was prior to this game.

In yesterday's game, its true Miller could have played better. I just wonder if this team still, to a point, has our number.

Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly Ottawa does that presents problems. The Sabres' PP is ranked 17th in the NHL at 17%, and that is up a bit from a few weeks ago. The Sabres have had trouble establishing the zone against every team, it seems. I know a huge difference, compared to last year, is the lack of Connolly. I think he alone would get them into the low-20% range.

The Sens' PK is ranked 17th in the NHL, so I don't know what they are doing against Buffalo that works so well. It doesn't seem to work as well against the rest of the league, so maybe they do have the Sabres number a bit.

Additionally, Emery has been on fire when he's played the Sabres. When they have managed to get set up and get good shots, the goalie has been reliable.

I have seen all but two games this season. I must say, the second period of this game was the worst hockey I have seen the Sabres play this year. Pathetic! I know, I am probably over-reacting, but I really thought the Sabres would play a great game last night.

I am in no way blaming Miller for this loss, but I really wish Lindy would have some sort of rotation, where Biron plays a little more often, not just when Miller has had a bad game, or is injured. I don't know what it is, but there are just some games where, to me, Miller looks out of it, or tired. It was the same last year. Maybe even play Biron one game a week or something. I honestly don't see that big a drop off when Biron is in there. Unless the Sabres are planing on trying to trade Biron at the deadline (a move I wouldn't like at this point) I don't see the point of paying him so much money, and not really using him much. I remember last season, in the month of March, Lindy kept Miller in net night after night, even though he was not playing very well. I realize he was trying to bolster Millers' confidence, and to let him play out of his slump, but IMO, he kept him in there a little too long.

I wasn't too worried about the power play early on, but it has been horrendous the last couple of weeks. Not only not scoring goals, but not even getting any shots on net. Last night, what did they muster 1 shot on goal, in two 4 on 3 situations? That is not good.

I am confident they figure this out, but the PP has been pretty mediocre (at best) all year. I thought, early on, it was because of all of the injuries, but now, I am not so sure. Maybe Ottawa and Montreal have just figuered out a way to strangle the Sabres offense, and do it within the new rules.

In Lindy we trust!

I have seen all but two games this season. I must say, the second period of this game was the worst hockey I have seen the Sabres play this year. Pathetic! I know, I am probably over-reacting, but I really thought the Sabres would play a great game last night.

The Sens did to Buffalo what the Sabres have been doing lately. Buffalo came out flying and played a great 1st period, creating numerous GOOD scoring chances, and heavily outshot Ottawa. But much like Miller when Buffalo slept-walked through a few 1st periods, Emery came up huge and got them to the break at 0-0.

Buffalo had a couple of PP's early on in the 2nd, looked terrible, and gave up the shorty. Then they pretty much let the air fly out of their sails after that. You're right buftex- it was right up there with the 1st period in Washington last month as one of the worst periods of the year. No intensity, not sharp, and outskated.

Another thought:

Now that McKee and Grier are gone (just to provide two examples) and the Sabres are perhaps "less physical" are the Sabres now giving other teams more problems but yet teams like the Sens now match up better with the Sabres now then last year???

I can see the Sabres being the 1 seed and losing to the 8th seeded Senators in the first round. Very bad match-up for the Sabres if it happens.

This is exactly my fear! How many times does the best team lose in the first round in hockey.

Another thought:

Now that McKee and Grier are gone (just to provide two examples) and the Sabres are perhaps "less physical" are the Sabres now giving other teams more problems but yet teams like the Sens now match up better with the Sabres now then last year???

I'm not sure I would go that far. Guys like Gaustad, Novotny and Hecht will mix it up when necessary. Montreal outschemed us early on, but I think we have adjusted well. I just don't see what Ottawa does that is so special that we end up off our game so badly (ie last nite's 2nd period).

I am in no way blaming Miller for this loss, but I really wish Lindy would have some sort of rotation, where Biron plays a little more often, not just when Miller has had a bad game, or is injured. I don't know what it is, but there are just some games where, to me, Miller looks out of it, or tired. It was the same last year. Maybe even play Biron one game a week or something. I honestly don't see that big a drop off when Biron is in there. Unless the Sabres are planing on trying to trade Biron at the deadline (a move I wouldn't like at this point) I don't see the point of paying him so much money, and not really using him much. I remember last season, in the month of March, Lindy kept Miller in net night after night, even though he was not playing very well. I realize he was trying to bolster Millers' confidence, and to let him play out of his slump, but IMO, he kept him in there a little too long.

I wasn't too worried about the power play early on, but it has been horrendous the last couple of weeks. Not only not scoring goals, but not even getting any shots on net. Last night, what did they muster 1 shot on goal, in two 4 on 3 situations? That is not good.

I am confident they figure this out, but the PP has been pretty mediocre (at best) all year. I thought, early on, it was because of all of the injuries, but now, I am not so sure. Maybe Ottawa and Montreal have just figuered out a way to strangle the Sabres offense, and do it within the new rules.

In Lindy we trust!

The Sabres never played back-to-back nights in December after the 2nd. They have back-to-backs 4 times this month, so you will see more Marty in January. Feb's schedule is similar to December's, so if Ryan's healthy, we won't see much Marty. March is another killer and Ryan will be spelled a fair bit. All told, Marty will end up playing in 20-25 games, which should be more than enough to keep Ryan fresh for the playoff run.

As for the pp, it's been mentioned elsewhere, but the key to the pp is Timmy. When he comes back, it's all good again. (Kind of like the pk took a dip w/ Hank out of the lineup. Unfortunately, it looks like here we go again.)

Definitely agree with your last statement.