1986 Fiesta Bowl: Penn State vs Miami

Cornerville

Think it was Edwin Pope of the Miami Herald who said, "Vinny Testaverde has a bright future as an NFL quarterback. John Shaffer has a bright future as a financial analyst."

But only one of them has a championship ring from the 1987 Fiesta Bowl, and it isn't Vinny.

post-327-1167789481_thumb.jpg

Told the story before: couldn't afford the trip out West, the dorms were closed, so I watched the game at a friend's apartment just off campus. And when Gifto cradled Vinny T's final pass of the night, the walls shook.

I've been thinking about the anniversary off and on today. Maybe I'll go throw the tape in and hoist a brew in celebration...

Didn't Shane Conlan have a couple of picks?

Yes, he did, even though he was playing on a bum knee. Took the second one to the Miami five-yard line; DJ punched in the go-ahead score from there. Gifto had two, too. Don't remember who had the fifth one...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.