Top 10 Questions (& Answers) From The 2006 Season

Rubes

10. Would McGahee finally establish himself as an elite NFL RB?

I don't think many people would argue this one. McGahee is good, and he appears to have the tools to become great, but he's definitely not there at this point. What's strange about it is that it seems like motivation is a key issue for him. Even the Bills official blogger, Chris Brown, said as much in his gameday blog (and kudos, by the way, to the Bills for allowing such candor on their web site). Who knows if this is true. What's clear is that we have an average to below-average offensive line, and McGahee has made it clear that he's incapable of overcoming that and making things happen on his own, as I would expect from an elite back.

9. Would Evans be a capable #1 WR?

Absolutely. Evans had a tendency this year to disappear for stretches, but the reasons for that could be many. Part of it had to do with Fairchild scaling back the playbook for Losman and the offensive line partway through the season, which likely made it easier for defenses to guard Evans. Still, he came up with big play after big play, and his first full season as a #1 WR could only be called a nice success.

8. Would Spikes be able to regain his old form?

Unfortunately, we're left with a big "maybe." His first play from scrimmage this season was a memorable one, and seemed to indicate the achilles was not going to be a problem. But hamstring and other injuries took their toll. By the end of the season Spikes was playing better, but I could easily see that he was favoring one leg in the last couple games. Hard to say if that was related to the achilles, though. My impression is that he still brings a lot to the table, and next year will be the real season to answer this question. With one more year between him and his injury, we should be able to see if he can put this behind him.

7. Did the Bills make the right decision in the draft at #8?

I don't think this is an easy question to answer at this time. I know a lot of people are probably miffed that we passed on Ngata, considering how well he has played. But there are no guarantees that Ngata would be playing just as well in our system. As for Whitner, I like him and I think he will be a great safety. I think his performance was on par with a rookie first rounder, but perhaps not a rookie first round difference-maker. I suspect part of that has to do with the fact that our defense generally sucked as a whole, making his job more difficult. If we can shore up the defensive line and MLB position this offseason, I think he will begin to shine.

6. Did the Bills finally find a head coach and coaching staff that might stick around more than 2 or 3 years?

Jauron's hiring was met with a lot of snickers and skepticism, including some from myself. Like just about every coach, Jauron made some questionable gameday coaching decisions, but overall I thought he was exactly what we needed. He's clear, concise, and honest; deals well with the players; and handled a difficult job with professionalism. With so many rookies and inexperienced players in the lineup on both sides of the ball, he managed them with a calm poise. I'm also very encouraged by the performance of Fewell and Fairchild. Fewell did a fantastic job getting everything he could out of a bunch of rookies, although without a doubt this was one of the worst run defenses I've seen in a long time. Fairchild did the right thing scaling back the offense for JP and the line, and in the end it worked out with much better production from the offense. This team still has a long way to go, but I think we have the right guys steering the ship. Can you really argue with a team record for fewest penalties and yards in a season?

5. Did the Bills adequately address the problems on the offensive line?

By the time the Bills stumbled into the break at 2-5, the answer was a resounding "no." Gandy was a disaster at LT, Reyes was a huge FA bust at LG, Villarial looked like his career was on life support at RG, and Fowler was questionable at C. That said, the shuffle did seem to answer a few questions: Yes, Peters would excel at LT. Yes, Gandy really did make a better G than T. Yes, Fowler would play better with a more comfortable cast around him. And yes, Pennington could actually hold his own at RT. Still, it's obvious that we still have a long way to go. It would seem that we will be okay with Peters, Gandy, and Fowler, but we can't possibly go with both Preston and Pennington on the right side again. My sense is that the coaches believe Pennington has far more upside at RT than Preston at RG, and with a strong FA acquisition for the RG position, this line could mature into a solid group next season. Finding that RG could be tricky, though, considering our last two experiments with FA guards were disasters. In the end, I believe we are now much closer to where we want to be.

4. Would the Bills be able to stop the run?

The Bills sucked at stopping the run in 2005, so there were huge questions about how we would do this year with new faces and a new scheme. The answer? We actually sucked worse. Teams that allow fewer than 100 rushing yards per game are very good; those that allow 100-125 yards per game are average. The Bills allowed over 140 yards per game, and it actually seemed like more. Without a doubt, this was one of the major problems this season. Interestingly, Fewell did something in the Ravens game to counter this, resulting in an impressive defensive showing against a power running team in their home stadium with playoff implications. I still don't know what it was (it couldn't have only been the use of Jefferson instead of Anderson), but the Bills did a great job bottling up the Ravens offense. This gives me hope for next season, but we still need someone to complement Triplett, McCargo, and Williams.

3. Is JP the long-term answer at QB?

There are probably few people left who would question this. We knew going into the season it would be an up and down year for him, and fortunately we really did have some nice ups. He has shown great talent, durability, and heart, and he and Evans are going to be a potent combo for a long time. He had a tough time on the road against the top defense in the league, but how many QB's wouldn't? Most of his problems are correctable, and you just can't argue with his dedication. To me, watching him do everything he could to make sure his last INT wasn't returned for a TD was Kelly-esque and inspiring. At one point this season it looked like we would have the worst season passing output ever for a Bills team, but in the end he crossed the 3000 yard mark -- something few Bills QBs have ever done.

2. Would the Bills end their long playoff drought?

Obviously not, but had they won their last two they would have. That's asking a bit much at this point, but it was definitely exciting to see us as part of the discussion late into December. Sure, the Bills went 1-7 this season against playoff teams, but most of those were narrow losses. This team is not far off from making some noise in the league, and I think everybody would agree that the playoffs next season is far closer to reality than fantasy.

1. Would the season be considered a success?

It's interesting that, at the start of the season, a lot of people were establishing criteria for what would make this season a success...probably because the playoffs, normally a solid criterion, wasn't really a consideration. To me, the season would have to be considered a success if we could find the right answers to at least 3 or 4 of these questions, with the most important being the JP question. We know a lot of good things about JP, Evans, Jauron, Levy, and others to say yes, this season was a nice success. Considering the Bills were essentially a laughingstock at the start of the last offseason, this is very encouraging. We still don't have good answers for the offensive and defensive lines, which have always been my top priorities; that said, I think we're much closer with the offensive line than we were at this time last year, and there does appear to be hope for the defensive line if we can bring in some more talent. Success, however, breeds expectation, and now we'll get to see how this staff and team deals with those higher expectations next year. I would gather that most people here would now accept nothing less than the playoffs.

In reply to #5, we could actually show one of the top 2 guards the money( Steinbach and Davis) and not worry about it. Even a guy like Deilman may not pan out here so just get a guy who will fix the damn problem for sure. Steinbach at LG or Davis at RG. MAKE ONE OF EM' HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice, and I agree with much of the ten. We couldn't reliably run the ball, and we couldn't reliably stop the run. Not a great combo. But we're still in the thick of things at the end. We definitely need more line help, but it was much, much improved after the break. I sure want a mauling guard or two. Oh, hell, I'm greedy, give me three.

to number 10

I don't think the o-line was a problem for McGahee because he pretty much showed it wasn't agianst the Jets. If Willis was consitent, motivated, and played hard every game he would easily be a top 5 HB.

to number 4

I though we did better at stopping the run this year. Early on like against the Pats it was worse but it did a lot better later on.

to number 10

I don't think the o-line was a problem for McGahee because he pretty much showed it wasn't agianst the Jets. If Willis was consitent, motivated, and played hard every game he would easily be a top 5 HB.

Somebody needs to look at THIS website. Pay close attention to the teams in the top-8. Then scroll down. Scroll down some more. There you'll find the Jets. Just because the OLine didn't have trouble with them doesn't mean our OLine wasn't a problem. They won't be playing the bottom teams every week.

to number 4

I though we did better at stopping the run this year. Early on like against the Pats it was worse but it did a lot better later on.

Then scroll down some more. You'll find the Bills.

I could go into a long discussion of why this is so painfully wrong, but I've written enough. Our run defense stunk, and it stunk worse than last year. It stunk at the beginning of the year, it stunk in the middle of the year, and it stunk at the end of the year. Stink, stank, stunk. You know the tune.

Somebody needs to look at THIS website. Pay close attention to the teams in the top-8. Then scroll down. Scroll down some more. There you'll find the Jets. Just because the OLine didn't have trouble with them doesn't mean our OLine wasn't a problem. They won't be playing the bottom teams every week.

Then scroll down some more. You'll find the Bills.

Yes but he does good against the Jets every time we play them. Plus if you take out the stats from the Jets games and replace them with his average stats those stats are not very good.

Also what were the Bills ranked last year in run D.

10. Would McGahee finally establish himself as an elite NFL RB?

There were 22 runningbacks and 1 quarterback who rushed more more yards than McGahee.

Only two averaged less than McGahee's 3.8 per carry.

If McGahee were an elite back you would think his coaches would have more faith in him. An elite

back gets the ball at 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 5 on the Bills final drive of the Titans game.

All that said. There only a couple of elite backs (LT & Johnson) & a couple of very good backs (Alexander & Gore).

The rest are pretty much interchangable and could be replace in this years draft for a lot less money than any of

these cookie cutter backs will be making next season.

If McGahee wants more money? The best thing the Bills can do is let him go out and earn it next season. If he

has a break out year than you sign or tag him. If it's more of the same you just draft another back.

Rubes,

An outstanding post, I thought you answered those questions considering all points of view and did a great job. In thinking completely about each situation, I agree with everything you said. Awesome post.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

:D

Rubes,

An outstanding post, I thought you answered those questions considering all points of view and did a great job. In thinking completely about each situation, I agree with everything you said. Awesome post.

I second this.....great post. :D