Off Season Aquisitions

Dr. Trooth

First... this regime is full of surprises. Ex. Who would have thought that, with Vincent and Milloy entrenched at safety, the Bills would have 2 new starters there with their first and fourth round picks in this year's draft?

This year, I just have one of those feelings that this year's target is LB. I know... all signs point to immediate need at DT and CB... but last year, everyone was saying that about the QB & OL and the Bills went soft in FA there and addressed it in the last two rounds of the draft. So, here me out.

When Jauron was in Chicago he had a a big MLB... I think he's looking to get bigger at MLB... don't know where he's going to find that in FA... perhaps the draft.

Jauron also liked having a pass rushing LB off the edge, ala Rosey Colvin and Warick Holdman. Holdman is a FA. Also, Shawn Barber (a LB of the same ilk) is a FA. Would these two draw some interest from Jauron?

Lastly... more on the same train of thought as my very first point... Is TKO this year's Milloy (surprise cut)?

With Ellison and Crowell already pencilled in somewhere and $39M in cap space, the Bills could absorb a cap hit this time around. If they re-up JP & Evens, they'll need cap space after June 1, plus they're going to need to spend some @RB as well.

Just thinking out loud. I don't know if any of us are going to be prepared for what suprise moves are ahead.

When it comes to the free agent market most people on the boards want big name guys. Thats not what its about. If Buffalo can go about it the right way, they can get what they need without getting the big name guys here. We need guys who fit with this team. Thats what the Bills need.

I have complete faith in Marv Levy when it comes to the FA market and the draft.

Marv had a decent FA off season last year and a decent draft.

I mean think about it, this team was a handfull a plays away from being a contender for homefield advantage for the playoffs. We played the top 8 teams in the league and should have won 6 of those games with the talent we had on this team.

And dont forget we played those power house teams with 5 rookies on defense!

That tells me Marv is getting guys who can play in the NFL right away and produce!

When it comes to the free agent market most people on the boards want big name guys. Thats not what its about. If Buffalo can go about it the right way, they can get what they need without getting the big name guys here. We need guys who fit with this team. Thats what the Bills need.

I have complete faith in Marv Levy when it comes to the FA market and the draft.

Considering that last years FA was reasonably successful.

We got good value from Royals, Price and Fowler.

We got shafted by Reyes and Bowens (injury).

Andre Davis was a so-so. Larry Triplett is still a question mark. He showed up for

some games and was missing in quite a few.

Let us hope we can find a few more of the Royals and Fowlers.`

:)

dont get me started ..IMO the bills major problem is the pro personel dept ,,ie john guy ,, past aquisitions have been barely covering positions

i would pursue LANCE brigggs as my number 1 priority ,,he was drafted by juaron i think , so its not a stretch,, if tko is able to recover hes your mlb,, but here a possibility ,, the ravens have to choose between ray lewis or adalius thomas ,, they cant afford both ,, something to ponderwith the amount of cap spaace and the need to boost tickets sales i exspect a cple of big names to wind up here as well as a cple role players..put briggs and thomas at lb and draft the dt your defense would be scary use the draft for depth and a te

dont get me started ..IMO the bills major problem is the pro personel dept ,,ie john guy ,, past aquisitions have been barely covering positions

i would pursue LANCE brigggs as my number 1 priority ,,he was drafted by juaron i think , so its not a stretch,, if tko is able to recover hes your mlb,, but here a possibility ,, the ravens have to choose between ray lewis or adalius thomas ,, they cant afford both ,, something to ponderwith the amount of cap spaace and the need to boost tickets sales i exspect a cple of big names to wind up here as well as a cple role players..put briggs and thomas at lb and draft the dt your defense would be scary use the draft for depth and a te

Your argument does not address the OL.....This offense will continue to stink if the OL is ignored in both FA and the draft.

Your argument does not address the OL.....This offense will continue to stink if the OL is ignored in both FA and the draft.

Does the offense stink though? Post bye-week they were pretty darn good considering the opposition (NE, SD, IND, BAL, MIA). All winning teams with the exception of Miami, but all teams (IND run D excluded) with exceptional defenses.

Hey guys I think our MLB for next season is already on the roster. Angelo Crowell has the size and speed necessary to play the position in this defense. Plus he has a nose for the ball. The MLB in this scheme does not have to necessarily be strong against the run. That's were the OLB's come in. After watching a 100% healthy and comfortable Paul Pozlusny in the Outback Bowl yesterday, I think he needs to be the first round pick. He's so good against the run and has the necessary speed to go SL to SL.

I'm willing to bet that the best overall players available on the board at twelve will be Justin Blaylock (our offensive gaurd solution) or one of the two best offensive tackles available. We'll probably be into round three before we take a linebacker. Hence we promote from within, find a good free agent, or sign London Fletcher to a two year contract and go with him, if that works out. I kind of get the impression that signing LF for two years isn't something DJ is very hot on though.

Does the offense stink though? Post bye-week they were pretty darn good considering the opposition (NE, SD, IND, BAL, MIA). All winning teams with the exception of Miami, but all teams (IND run D excluded) with exceptional defenses.

The offense kept some of these games close by making a few big plays. However, the bills offense and consistency were in two different world. We need to build an offense that can pound the ball down the throat of the opponent. Unfortunately, our OL has not been able to provide that consistency. Even running plays were schemed to go behind the left side of the line.

If you want to win the AFC East you got to do it the hard way........

The offense kept some of these games close by making a few big plays. However, the bills offense and consistency were in two different world. We need to build an offense that can pound the ball down the throat of the opponent. Unfortunately, our OL has not been able to provide that consistency. Even running plays were schemed to go behind the left side of the line.

If you want to win the AFC East you got to do it the hard way........

you win games and control the tempo by running the ball.

However, you throw the ball to score- typically set up by the run game.

We got good value from Royals, Price and Fowler.

We got shafted by Reyes and Bowens (injury).

Andre Davis was a so-so. Larry Triplett is still a question mark. He showed up for

some games and was missing in quite a few.

A few comments about your comments.

(Bear in mind, I basing these opinions on what I recall their contracts to be. I might be off.)

Agree about Fowler & Royals. We got quality starters (although not stars) for modest prices.

Although Price signed for a fairly modest amount, his production was less than you'd hope for from a #2 WR. Let's call him 'fair' value.

Bowens obviously was a waste, but c'est la vie. As for Reyes, when we signed him, I assumed he'd 'compete' for a starting job, i.e. sort of like a 6th best OL. Fact is, he was a starter for 1/2 the season & inactive the other 1/2. So on avg, I think that's 'fair'.

I will add that something is fishy about this situation. I'm curious about the real story about going from uncontested starter, to last guy off the bench.

Davis was cheap & although he provided NOTHING on offense, he was a stud on ST. That's good value in my book.

Triplett was a disappointment. He was tauted as a player on the rise & I don't think he even played up to previous levels.

Overall, I'd say our only 'big' mistake could arguably be Triplett, our one big ticket signee.

A few comments about your comments.

(Bear in mind, I basing these opinions on what I recall their contracts to be. I might be off.)

Agree about Fowler & Royals. We got quality starters (although not stars) for modest prices.

Although Price signed for a fairly modest amount, his production was less than you'd hope for from a #2 WR. Let's call him 'fair' value.

Bowens obviously was a waste, but c'est la vie. As for Reyes, when we signed him, I assumed he'd 'compete' for a starting job, i.e. sort of like a 6th best OL. Fact is, he was a starter for 1/2 the season & inactive the other 1/2. So on avg, I think that's 'fair'.

I will add that something is fishy about this situation. I'm curious about the real story about going from uncontested starter, to last guy off the bench.

Davis was cheap & although he provided NOTHING on offense, he was a stud on ST. That's good value in my book.

Triplett was a disappointment. He was tauted as a player on the rise & I don't think he even played up to previous levels.

Overall, I'd say our only 'big' mistake could arguably be Triplett, our one big ticket signee.

how can you consider reyes anything but a mistake?? sure he started for half the season, but he wasn't a good starter........he was so bad he was benched in fact........thankfully the signing was cheap and he can be easily disposed of this off-season, but he certainly wasn't what the bills had expected........

i also think we spent too much money on price given his level of non-production and recent releases prior to last off-season........he was okay for us this year, but not worth the deal he got.....

royals was a good find and fowler has been a decent stop gap for us, although he isn't a long-term solution......

how can you consider reyes anything but a mistake?? sure he started for half the season, but he wasn't a good starter........he was so bad he was benched in fact........thankfully the signing was cheap and he can be easily disposed of this off-season, but he certainly wasn't what the bills had expected........

As I said, I think there's something 'funny' going on w/ his situation.

I couldn't find details on his SB, but I found

2 years $1.585 million, signing bonus unknown

so, you gotta assume he was pretty cheap. Like many others, I was pleasantly surprised when someone who I thought was basically a body to compete on the Oline basically was the starter from day one. Admittedly, his performance left something to be desired, but why did it take OTAs, TC, 4 PS games, then 6 regular games to figure he wasn't our best option?

Imagine rather that Preston beat him out for the starting OL position & he instead was forced to start those 6 games due to injury (w/ equivalent sub-std performance). Would that really have been a bad signing? Likely a few hundred K $ over bare minimum wage for someone who played basically 6 entire games? It certainly wasn't what one hoped for and he'll likely/hopefully be jettisoned b4 the end of next PS, but it didn't waste much cap space & he didn't waste the roster spot.