One thing that heartens me about this team

"With just three penalties for 19 yards against the Ravens, the Bills established team records for fewest penalties and penalty yards in a 16-game season (87 for 629)."

From one of the articles on the front page. Now, if it could only stop people on defense and move the ball a bit better on O, this team could be on to something.

I too saw that and it jumped out at me the same way.

I also read one suggestion (in the Leo/Sal banter) about moving to a 3/4 next year. I for one would welcome that change. We can find a LB or two easier than DT. Someone out there may disagree, but I think Schobel would be a perfect end in that alignment.

"With just three penalties for 19 yards against the Ravens, the Bills established team records for fewest penalties and penalty yards in a 16-game season (87 for 629)."

From one of the articles on the front page. Now, if it could only stop people on defense and move the ball a bit better on O, this team could be on to something.

searching for negative..jump off a cliff material...none found...who hacked JSP's account?

I also read one suggestion (in the Leo/Sal banter) about moving to a 3/4 next year. I for one would welcome that change. We can find a LB or two easier than DT. Someone out there may disagree, but I think Schobel would be a perfect end in that alignment.

ignorance is bliss.

you need larger DEs in a 3-4 in order to hold up against the run as well as a much larger DT able to take on the G-T consistently.

There is no way in hell that Jauron /Fewell morph their cover -2 philosophy with smaller quicker Dts into a 3-4.

ignorance is bliss.

you need larger DEs in a 3-4 in order to hold up against the run as well as a much larger DT able to take on the G-T consistently.

There is no way in hell that Jauron /Fewell morph their cover -2 philosophy with smaller quicker Dts into a 3-4.

First, fug off on your ignorance is bliss comment. It was uncalled for.

Schobel does not hold up consistently well against the run, especially if he is asked to hold ground. My thinking, ignorant though it may be, is that he would have the ability to push more up field because he has the extra LB behind him.

I really doubt they abandon thew Cover 2 so quickly, especially after they have said it usually takes a couple years to get it working, and they drafted and signed players that would succeed in a Cover 2 scheme. Maybe in a couple years they would change unless this is Ralph or Marvs idea and are forcing them to change, but I think it would require too much of a change in personnel to make the move, unless Fewell is trying to invent a new type of Cover 2 hybrid that will be effective against the run too as that seems to be the schemes biggest weakness

ignorance is bliss.

Yeah, that's why Bruce never worked well in the 3-4 :)

Bruce would have to be a MLB on D if that were the case :doh:

I don't do those. They're pointless.

Look, even I know there are positives with this team. Losman, Evans, Schoebel, the coaching.

There are a good number of negatives, still...DT, OG, second WR, TE and coaching.

Are you back on your meds? This side of you doesn't make many appearances, lol

There are always sots the team can improve, and another DT is needed to play next to McCargo/Triplett who can stop the run, an upgrade at RG is needed, a second WR would be nice too, although Price was decent, just not enough of a threat to keep double teams off Evans regularly. TE is starting to come around now that they are using them. Royal made a couple mistakes this year (like the TD against Tennessee) but has played rather well, and Ceislak looks like he may be good in a few years and could also play Fullback, although there is always room for improvement at this position too. I will also give the coaching staff a break since it was their first year together with a young team and a new scheme

I really doubt they abandon thew Cover 2 so quickly, especially after they have said it usually takes a couple years to get it working, and they drafted and signed players that would succeed in a Cover 2 scheme. Maybe in a couple years they would change unless this is Ralph or Marvs idea and are forcing them to change, but I think it would require too much of a change in personnel to make the move, unless Fewell is trying to invent a new type of Cover 2 hybrid that will be effective against the run too as that seems to be the schemes biggest weakness

I also highly doubt that they will abandon a scheme that the current regime has literally spent all of its time fostering.

But to go along with this thread, I agree with noting this team's discipline and I guess the numbers you present are the only way of truly quantifying an otherwise esoteric (though vastly crucial) aspect of the game. I have a lot of confidence in the offense whenever it takes the field-more so than the past three years (not saying much).

I think two of the key components to said discipline are brains and heart and I'm glad that Marv has made them a priority. On the field they translate into a winning, never-say-die attitude bolstered by preparation and ever-improving skill.

MAN AM I EXCITED ITS ALREADY 2007! :)

I think two of the key components to said discipline are brains and heart and I'm glad that Marv has made them a priority. On the field they translate into a winning, never-say-die attitude bolstered by preparation and ever-improving skill.

However, to win in the NFL you also need to be an athlete. The Bills will work on that this off season. I think there will be some surprise decisions this year that will be required due to

the nature of the team they are building and RWs wallet.

I don't do those. They're pointless.

Look, even I know there are positives with this team. Losman, Evans, Schoebel, the coaching.

There are a good number of negatives, still...DT, OG, second WR, TE and coaching.

I agree...my resolutions are usually done right after the booze wears off :)

As for the positives I agree..there are some...there is some light at the end of the tunnel.... but if this team does not bring back NC and LFB...the same crap cycle will begin all over again.

It is time for the Bills to show the fans, the other players, and the league that they can keep their core players and are serious about winning.

As for the positives I agree..there are some...there is some light at the end of the tunnel.... but if this team does not bring back NC and LFB...the same crap cycle will begin all over again.

The problem isn't just the Bills not trying to re-sign Clements and Fletcher, but also those players wanting to return.

Clements is going to make it known that he is going to the highest bidder, which probably won't be the Bills because their owner maybe old, but he's not crazy like Snyder. He will not sign early unless the Bills grossly overpay for him because he wants to get payed and will want to see what he is worth on the open market.

Fletcher seems to have had his pride hurt by not getting an extension earlier and the team waiting until now to try and re-sign him. He may also be feeling that his chances at the Pro Bowl were hurt by being on the Bills. His attitude recently leads me to believe he will not be back next year and will be looking elsewear for a new team that he will end his career with no matter what the Bills offer him.

Hopefully I am wrong and Buffalo can bring both back, but I think the odds are against that happening and we should consider ourselves lucky that they achieve one of the 2 signings. The most we can hope for is that Marv tries hard to sign both and they want to come back and play here

Fletcher will find that it is going to be hard to get a big deal in FA for a 32 year old MLB even with the season he had. His inability to stop the run will be held against him. The best money he will get will be from the Bills and he will come back if the Bills want him. The question is if the Bills are sold on his run stopping abilities ?

Clements will go to the highest bidder, period. The Redskins do need a cornerback and will be in the market for him. The question is going to be what is the difference between the Bills offer and offer from these other teams. If they are marginal then Clements might consider the Bills.

My feeling is we will just end up re-signing Kelsay on the defense and then continue rebuilding the defense through the draft. We will end up signing up a few mid level FA for the offense at

the OL and TE position. The bills will end up spending their money on re-signing Evans and

Losman to contract extensions and then figuring out what to do with McGahee. The draft will

decide the fate of McGahee.