Anyone else get the sense McGahee didn't want to be there?

He just looked like he had no interest in playing that game. Didn't bother to block, didn't feel like running hard, and couldn't be troubled to hold onto the football.

What a shame. In 2004 I loved the guy. I just don't sense his passion for the game - he doesn't seem to do what he needs to do to prepare each week and during the season. He refuses to hit the hole hard - you wanna see someone hit a hole? Watch Frank Gore. Damn. For a guy who was playing for a new contract yesterday, Willis totally mailed it in. I won't be sorry to see him go, if they can get decent value in return.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blame the O-Line. Not Willis' fault.

He just looked like he had no interest in playing that game. Didn't bother to block, didn't feel like running hard, and couldn't be troubled to hold onto the football.

What a shame. In 2004 I loved the guy. I just don't sense his passion for the game - he doesn't seem to do what he needs to do to prepare each week and during the season. He refuses to hit the hole hard - you wanna see someone hit a hole? Watch Frank Gore. Damn. For a guy who was playing for a new contract yesterday, Willis totally mailed it in. I won't be sorry to see him go, if they can get decent value in return.

Let's pick up this kid from San Diego, the backup to LT.

That's not a bad idea. I'd like to see Willis back though, because he plays well when motivated and I'm guessing his contract year will motivate him, but if they could hit the free agent market early and get his replacement, then trade McGahee for a high pick prior to the draft that might work out too. It's unlikely to happen, but I'd love to see Marshall Faulk end up here as the third down back. Having one of the best receiving backs and smartest players in the league in the backfield with Losman on third downs would be great. If McGahee were still here Faulk would be the best possible influence on Willis. Like I said, it's unlikely, but Fairchilld was Faulk's "offensive coordinator" at St. Louis, so there is some connection.

Blame the O-Line. Not Willis' fault.

As a huge willis supporter, hes friggin pissing me off with his nonchalant attitude about playing. Sure he can be a beast when motivated, one of the best in the league. but his inconsistency is really wearing thin on me. Yesterday it appeared that after willis found that the going would be tough, he basically said "screw it, this isnt worth it"

He seemed disinterested to me also. On one play in particular he could have stiff-armed his idol Ray “Killer” Louis to gain a first down; he instead chose to run out-of-bounds one yard short of the first-down marker and let his buddy Ray easily ride him out-of-bounds.

Could it be that with Ray “Killer” Louis being an icon and deity of the “U” that in no way would an inferior subordinate lower-classman ever do anything to embarrass such a hero that Ray Louis is with former “U” players by throwing a stiff-arm to the face? :oops:

I noticed that after the game Ray went looking for WM, passing-by several other players trying to talk to him, but just giving them a nod, until he found WM to give him a hug.

Of course I don’t know what they are thinking, but their actions show that many players on opposing teams are very close, and I’m not suggesting anything else, or that there is anything wrong with that: just observations. ;)

He seemed disinterested to me also. On one play in particular he could have stiff-armed his idol Ray “Killer” Louis to gain a first down; he instead chose to run out-of-bounds one yard short of the first-down marker and let his buddy Ray easily ride him out-of-bounds.

Could it be that with Ray “Killer” Louis being an icon and deity of the “U” that in no way would an inferior subordinate lower-classman ever do anything to embarrass such a hero that Ray Louis is with former “U” players by throwing a stiff-arm to the face? :oops:

I noticed that after the game Ray went looking for WM, passing-by several other players trying to talk to him, but just giving them a nod, until he found WM to give him a hug.

Of course I don’t know what they are thinking, but their actions show that many players on opposing teams are very close, and I’m not suggesting anything else, or that there is anything wrong with that: just observations. ;)

This play was discussed a bit on TSW yesterday with several praising WM for choosing to go OB and stop the clock as that was a smarter thing to do at the time rather than delivering a blow to an opponent (which can be fun to do) and not stopping the clock.

My since is that whether he is interested in playing or not is likely a judgment in the viewers mind rather than being an accurate read on where he is unless one is a mindreader.

The game plan seemed to go away from the run and emphasize passing the ball and this seemed to me to be the prime reason WM was not heavily involved in the game.

I for one was glad to see Jauron more interested in winning the game rather than in making sure WM got more carries to break 1000 yards.

As I've said all along, Willis has the physical tools to play much better than he plays. Marv and Bill Polian always talk about brining in guys with a "football temperment." Willis is the exact opposite of that.

I hope the team can find a Jerrious Norwood clone in the middle of this draft. Not only will it help JP's development, it will make Willis a better player heading into his contract year.

As a huge willis supporter, hes friggin pissing me off with his nonchalant attitude about playing. Sure he can be a beast when motivated, one of the best in the league. but his inconsistency is really wearing thin on me. Yesterday it appeared that after willis found that the going would be tough, he basically said "screw it, this isnt worth it"

If you've got the physical tools but not the mental tools then it's not good enough. When Josh Reed is able to read blocks better coming out of the backfield then there is a problem. Make him play out his final year of his contract--you aren't going to get more than a third round pick for the guy in a trade. Which quite honestly you can get a third round pick at RB and have them rush for 990 yards. Losing him would hurt against the Jets and that's about it. RBs are a dime a dozen. He is the furthest thing from an LT both on and off the field.

If you've got the physical tools but not the mental tools then it's not good enough. When Josh Reed is able to read blocks better coming out of the backfield then there is a problem. Make him play out his final year of his contract--you aren't going to get more than a third round pick for the guy in a trade. Which quite honestly you can get a third round pick at RB and have them rush for 990 yards. Losing him would hurt against the Jets and that's about it. RBs are a dime a dozen. He is the furthest thing from an LT both on and off the field.

Couldn't agree more. I never liked the guy. He's an average RB who lacks what I'd consider the most important qualities in a player... a brain and desire to be the best.

For anyone out there who thinks the guy runs hard every play (kinda like that RB in Tennessee), you're a McGahee homer. He doesn't, never has and that's why he's mediocre and will always be.

Proof? What RB with ojne year left inn free agency approaches the team about extending a contract? One who knows his value isn't going to get higher.

I wish Clements would take him with him. Kill two over-hyped, under-performing "me" guys in one fell swoop.

What RB with ojne year left inn free agency approaches the team about extending a contract? One who knows his value isn't going to get higher.

Ummm, how about a running back that saw three tendons in his knee ripped to shreds, and who gets two ribs cracked and one broken because his O-line doesn't run block very well and because the offense is so damned conservative that teams can stack the box?

It is all about security when it comes to an extension. Roll the dice and hope your O-line doesn't get you killed, and opens up enough holes to give you a chance to have an above average contract year performance, or negotiate an extension based on decent production notwithstanding the foregoing and hedge against serious injury in the future.

Edgerrin James learned a huge lesson regarding the value of a competent offensive line and a star QB in the backfield with him. The good thing for him is it worked for him in the reverse. He got his big bucks to go to a team with no line. I guess the jury is still out as to whether he'll stay healthy enough to collect it all.

Your statement proves nothing.

Ummm, how about a running back that saw three tendons in his knee ripped to shreds, and who gets two ribs cracked and one broken because his O-line doesn't run block very well and because the offense is so damned conservative that teams can stack the box?

It is all about security when it comes to an extension. Roll the dice and hope your O-line doesn't get you killed, and opens up enough holes to give you a chance to have an above average contract year performance, or negotiate an extension based on decent production notwithstanding the foregoing and hedge against serious injury in the future.

Edgerrin James learned a huge lesson regarding the value of a competent offensive line and a star QB in the backfield with him. The good thing for him is it worked for him in the reverse. He got his big bucks to go to a team with no line. I guess the jury is still out as to whether he'll stay healthy enough to collect it all.

Your statement proves nothing.

Nope. You're forgetting about Frank Gore. TWO blown knees and an offensive line that is no better than the Bills' line, and quite possibly worse. Anyone who has watched him play will tell you that he's a man on an island on that offense, and that every yard he gets he gets himself. But you know what? He gets his hards, because he hits the hole like a man possessed. Same with Stephen Jackson, who plays behind an awful o-line - he single-handedly gashed the best rushing defense in the NFL on Sunday. There are RBs in this League playing behind horrible o-lines who perform better than Willis, and the only reason I can think of is that they want it more.

One of my big hopes for the off-season is to see Willis traded. I'd take anything on the first day...no really. I agree that he has more talent than almost anyone on the team, but he just doesn't use it. The O-line arguments are a joke. If I saw McGahee TRYING to gain the tough yards, I would have a totally different opinion of him, but he just doesn't. No doubt in my mind he'll be gone after next season anyway...get what you can for him (I think they could get a second rounder) and find the best replacement you can. Honestly, I would be happier going into next season with and extra 2nd rounder and A. Thomas than I would be with Willis still on the roster. I've just had enough of him.

Trading Willis this year would not be a smart move. For once, this is a situation in which the Bills have all the leverage in the world. Willis is under contract and is obligated to play next season in a contract year. Whether he wants to stay or go, he will have to bust his tail off and have a good season in an audition for his next contract. The beneficiary of all this: the 2007 Buffalo Bills. In the meantime, draft a RB prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round.

One of my big hopes for the off-season is to see Willis traded. I'd take anything on the first day...no really. I agree that he has more talent than almost anyone on the team, but he just doesn't use it. The O-line arguments are a joke. If I saw McGahee TRYING to gain the tough yards, I would have a totally different opinion of him, but he just doesn't. No doubt in my mind he'll be gone after next season anyway...get what you can for him (I think they could get a second rounder) and find the best replacement you can. Honestly, I would be happier going into next season with and extra 2nd rounder and A. Thomas than I would be with Willis still on the roster. I've just had enough of him.

Trading Willis this year would not be a smart move. For once, this is a situation in which the Bills have all the leverage in the world. Willis is under contract and is obligated to play next season in a contract year. Whether he wants to stay or go, he will have to bust his tail off and have a good season in an audition for his next contract. The beneficiary of all this: the 2007 Buffalo Bills. In the meantime, draft a RB prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Good point, in the 4th week, after 4 straight 100 yard games, trade him. Of course, let's make sure we have a capable starter from the 2007 draft first. :)

Willis definetly has attitute problems. I think his problem is, unless he's playing for a winner, he is disinterested. I would call for his head, but welcome to the NFL in 2007 boys.

When Losman and the defense started to make their late season push, you definetly saw a different Willis, he was running stronger, stopped dancing as much. He was a pressure to watch.

No matter where he goes, if the team is bad, he'll be bored and unhappy, but if the team is playing, i can see this dude going for like 120 yards a game.

Nope. You're forgetting about Frank Gore. TWO blown knees and an offensive line that is no better than the Bills' line, and quite possibly worse. Anyone who has watched him play will tell you that he's a man on an island on that offense, and that every yard he gets he gets himself. But you know what? He gets his hards, because he hits the hole like a man possessed. Same with Stephen Jackson, who plays behind an awful o-line - he single-handedly gashed the best rushing defense in the NFL on Sunday. There are RBs in this League playing behind horrible o-lines who perform better than Willis, and the only reason I can think of is that they want it more.

Good post...Frank Gore is the next great NFL running back, assuming he can avoid injuries, and improve his fumbling problems.

Willis, I don't know...I have always liked the guy, but it seems it has always been for flashes he has shown of how great he could/should be, rather than production. Somtimes I think he is unfairly criticized, and misunderstood...but then other times, I just think he has zero "heart" for the game. I know the offensive line is not great...but they seemed to improve some, once the QB (Losman) started getting better...is it the line, or is it McGahee? For me personally, I always liked Travis Henry, and never saw the need for McGahee...final game of 2006, and I would still be just as happy with Travis.

I get the feeling that, no matter what happens, 2007 will be Willis' final in Buffalo. I don't think the Bills will/should extend him this offseason, the production (for whatever myriad of reasons) has just not been there from him. At times he runs great, others, he seems to be going through the motions. It seems as though he should be much more productive than he has been.

It probably isn't the smart move, and one that will most likely not happen. But I'm not talking about what the smartest move may be. As a fan of the team, I'm tired of seeing a guy who could make huge differences in each game, only give it his all for maybe 5 a year. The best example is the Jets games. Whatever it is that motivates him for those games, he plays to his skill level every time out. Next week...eh, whatever. Another good example is his blitz pickup and "dancing" behind the line of scrimmage. He whiffs on his blocking and loses yardage because he won't hit the holes, then he gets called out, starts doing those things for a couple games, then goes back to his old lackluster ways.

I have never said that Willis is not a talented player. I think if he wanted to he could consistently be one of the top 5 backs in the league, and most likely dropping him would be a set back for the Bills at least in the short run, but I just don't like seeing him on the field. Just my personal opinion of him.