Were you OK with Jauron's call

We're down 6-0 with about 30 seconds left in the half. A Bills TD or even a FG can turn the momentum since the Ravens offense hasn't done much so far.

We have the ball 4th and 11 at the 40. DJ calls a timeout to think over his options, then, much to my dismay, he elects to punt! Our punt coverage squad bumbles again and they go over the goal line while covering the kick - for a mere 20 yard net change of field position. There's a whole 27 seconds left on the clock at that point. The Ravens, with their unexplosive offense, sit on the ball to end the half (probably laughing to themselves).

Why not take a chance there on 4th and 11 with a long pass into the endzone - with the hope of either a pass interference penalty or a catch? If it's picked off, it's most likely as good (in this case, as it turned out, better) than a punt. If it's incomplete, the Ravens have the ball on their 40 with 27 seconds left, a 6-0 lead and an unexplosive offense.

I really did not like the "tentative" vibes I got from that decision to punt. Yes we were playing a better team yesterday, but if you don't take your shots when you can, how do you ever expect to win? At that point, the Ravens were pounding the ball on the ground, had twice the time of possession we had, so while it was only 6-0 at that point, how could DJ reasonably expect his undersized D to keep the score so close the rest of the way?

OK, I know we probably would not have won anyway, but was anyone else bothered by this decision?

It was the right call. We were not down 14-0 needing to trim the lead before the half. 4th and 11 against the Ravens defense when down less than a touchdown is not a situation for taking chances. if we take a shot and miss, I doubt the Ravens just sit on the ball from the 40. They're not an explosive O, true, but they would've had time to set up a field goal.

It was the right call. We were not down 14-0 needing to trim the lead before the half. 4th and 11 against the Ravens defense when down less than a touchdown is not a situation for taking chances. if we take a shot and miss, I doubt the Ravens just sit on the ball from the 40. They're not an explosive O, true, but they would've had time to set up a field goal.

Umm, not for nothing, but.. so what? We had nothing to play for, but pride. Friggin' go for it!! Hell, he was willing last week to go for it on 4th and 5, with the season on the line.. why not go for it on 4th and 11 with nothing to lose! And don't give me the "JP might get hurt" crap. cuz the line couldn't keep the Ravens D out.. Winners play to win, period.

We're down 6-0 with about 30 seconds left in the half. A Bills TD or even a FG can turn the momentum since the Ravens offense hasn't done much so far.

We have the ball 4th and 11 at the 40. DJ calls a timeout to think over his options, then, much to my dismay, he elects to punt! Our punt coverage squad bumbles again and they go over the goal line while covering the kick - for a mere 20 yard net change of field position. There's a whole 27 seconds left on the clock at that point. The Ravens, with their unexplosive offense, sit on the ball to end the half (probably laughing to themselves).

Why not take a chance there on 4th and 11 with a long pass into the endzone - with the hope of either a pass interference penalty or a catch? If it's picked off, it's most likely as good (in this case, as it turned out, better) than a punt. If it's incomplete, the Ravens have the ball on their 40 with 27 seconds left, a 6-0 lead and an unexplosive offense.

I really did not like the "tentative" vibes I got from that decision to punt. Yes we were playing a better team yesterday, but if you don't take your shots when you can, how do you ever expect to win? At that point, the Ravens were pounding the ball on the ground, had twice the time of possession we had, so while it was only 6-0 at that point, how could DJ reasonably expect his undersized D to keep the score so close the rest of the way?

OK, I know we probably would not have won anyway, but was anyone else bothered by this decision?

I was fine with it. Conservative play has won a number of games for the Bills this year. If they played aggressive football like that all season they would have been a 2-14 team, IMO, and the season would have spiraled out of control. No run defense at all, a less than stellar O-line and too much inexperience at key positions on offense to play like that this year, and the staff realized that when things started getting out of control leading into the bye. From that point on they let the opponents make the mistakes. It's just too bad Losman had to throw that unnecessary pick 6 late in the third quarter....that really bailed out tired old McNair and the Ravens lumbering offense. If the Ravens get thru NE or San Diego to get to the Super Bowl I will be shocked. Tom Brady would love him some Samari Rolle.

Umm, not for nothing, but.. so what? We had nothing to play for, but pride. Friggin' go for it!! Hell, he was willing last week to go for it on 4th and 5, with the season on the line.. why not go for it on 4th and 11 with nothing to lose! And don't give me the "JP might get hurt" crap. cuz the line couldn't keep the Ravens D out.. Winners play to win, period.

Going for it on 4th and 11 from the 40 with 30 seconds left is not "playing to win", it's setting your team up for failure. I think in fact that punting the ball gave the Bills the best chance to stay in the game (as seen by them closing within 2 before Losman's big mistake).

Going for it on 4th and 11 from the 40 with 30 seconds left is not "playing to win", it's setting your team up for failure. I think in fact that punting the ball gave the Bills the best chance to stay in the game (as seen by them closing within 2 before Losman's big mistake).

The fact remains.. We had nothing to lose. Nothing was on the line.

The fact remains.. We had nothing to lose. Nothing was on the line.

That doesn't mean you throw common sense out the window. You call the plays that you think will help you win the game, not plays that you think will impress fans and commentators with your "boldness".

That doesn't mean you throw common sense out the window. You call the plays that you think will help you win the game, not plays that you think will impress fans and commentators with your "boldness".

There has been some very questionable play calling the last several weeks from this staff.

This one just didn't matter.

:oops:

I think they should have gone for it.... Week 17.... Problem is the Bills were just too unorganized too often on offense and scrambling too many times. Like the second int.... There was no rush and still don't understand what they (or JP) was trying to do. Seems he got too excited.

It annoyed me no end! I completely agree with the sentiment that it was the last game with nothing on the line, so why the hell not. If ANYTHING other than a .500 season had been on the line in this game, I agree with the call. But HELLO!

I really hope they can get more offense installed and with continuity in the offensive personnel, they can open up this offense a little more. I can't argue with the fact that playing conservatively kept us in games we would not have otherwise been in, but it sure is excruciating to watch for a whole season. But in the last game, no playoffs, come on. Let's unclench the butt cheeks and do something entertaining.

I think they should have gone for it.... Week 17.... Problem is the Bills were just too unorganized too often on offense and scrambling too many times. Like the second int.... There was no rush and still don't understand what they (or JP) was trying to do. Seems he got too excited.

My sense was, yes a mistake of forcing it by JP, but out of frustration on his part. Fairchild has got to get himself more comfortable between this and next season so they can open up the offense. I think he was so respectful of the Ravens that they were able to sit on those short routes all night. This was the game they could have made the Raven D pay for that, withing nothing on the line. Granted the Ravens are an excellent defense, but I can't help but wonder how much of that is self-fulfilled prophesy on the part of opposing OCs.