Ladies and Gentlemen, The 2006 Darwin Awards

/dev/null

I know that they probably don't qualify on all aspects, but I'd like to nominate the 3 climbers who perished on Mt. Hood. Paying no attention to the fact that the Northwest was experiencing the worst weather in decades, having no provision for what to do if they experienced trouble, carrying no sleeping bags or provisions to survive more than 3 days must count for something in the Darwinian realm. There misadventure was an unintentional suicicde pack, in my view.

I know that they probably don't qualify on all aspects, but I'd like to nominate the 3 climbers who perished on Mt. Hood. Paying no attention to the fact that the Northwest was experiencing the worst weather in decades, having no provision for what to do if they experienced trouble, carrying no sleeping bags or provisions to survive more than 3 days must count for something in the Darwinian realm. There misadventure was an unintentional suicicde pack, in my view.

One of the unrecovered climbers was a goalie on the UConn soccer team in the late '80s.

They were caught unprepared in a massive weeklong snowstorm that came on suddenly. And unless they were seriously laden with provisions, they wouldn't have made it anyway. And that they went out of the snow cave in such conditions trying to get help for their friend... it's probably more than the average person would do. Climbing a mountain assumes a certain level of risk and a fair amount of courage/craziness but not near as much risk as driving over an RPG or smoking while covered in flammable material.

I was on Mt. Washington once when a thick fog came in, temp dropped and it started snowing in Sept. I got a ride down with a charitable soul.

How about James Kim, who ultimately saved his family when they got stuck on the road in OR? A tragic result of having unexpected climates foisted upon you is not Darwin-worthy. And death in trying to save a person(s) you love is not dishonorable. On the contrary.

Definitley Darwin worthy, honorable mention at least.

The amount of time rescuers spent looking for those climbers was amazing.

The climbers probably never took into consideration how many lives they were risking other than their own when they took off on their little excursion.