U.S.A 6 Slovakia 1 at World Jr. Hockey Championships

millbank

Isn't relegation the term used in English soccer when the worst teams are sent to the lower leagues? How will US Hockey get relegated? Did you mean 'eliminated,' or are we really going to drop down into the bracket with Guatemala, Yemen, and Zimbabwe?

Isn't relegation the term used in English soccer when the worst teams are sent to the lower leagues? How will US Hockey get relegated? Did you mean 'eliminated,' or are we really going to drop down into the bracket with Guatemala, Yemen, and Zimbabwe?

Relegated at World Junior Hockey Championships means relegated to play in consolation rounds and not move on to playoff rounds.

It is all a moot point as Team U.S.A beat Sweden in overtime to earn place in playoff round, where today they beat Finland and now will move on to play team Canada in Semi- Finals , the winner will play against the winner of Russia vs Sweden for World Junior Championship.

The team has pulled it together nicely, to have been relegated to consolation round would not have looked good on U.S.A hockey. They are now two wins from being Champion.

Relegated at World Junior Hockey Championships means relegated to play in consolation rounds and not move on to playoff rounds.

It is all a moot point as Team U.S.A beat Sweden in overtime to earn place in playoff round, where today they beat Finland and now will move on to play team Canada in Semi- Finals , the winner will play against the winner of Russia vs Sweden for World Junior Championship.

The team has pulled it together nicely, to have been relegated to consolation round would not have looked good on U.S.A hockey. They are now two wins from being Champion.

Yet there is a big brick road in their way. Carey Price is on fire.

Should be a good matchup.

Team U.S.A 1 - Team Canada 0 after two periods

Linky

Canada tied it about halfway through the 3rd on their ninth power play of the game. USA took it to Canada in the 10-minute OT period, outshooting the Canadians 12-2, but they couldn't beat the goalie. Canada then won in a shootout on the 13th shot!

game summary

Close, game in which either team could have won, Canada out shot U.S in regular time 24-22, team U.S.A with man advantage in overtime turned it on and out shot Canada 12 - 2. Over all Team U.S.A had 20 minutes in penalties , Canada 12.

Team Canada is undefeated through fives games at this tournament but will need to turn it up in final to win it.

game summary

Close, game in which either team could have won, Canada out shot U.S in regular time 24-22, team U.S.A with man advantage in overtime turned it on and out shot Canada 12 - 2. Over all Team U.S.A had 20 minutes in penalties , Canada 12.

Team Canada is undefeated through fives games at this tournament but will need to turn it up in final to win it.

A shootout? A shootout in a semifinal/playoff/medal round? WTF is up with that? I don't mind SO's, but I hope the NHL never does this during the playoffs... :rolleyes: Just keep on playing 20 min OT's... :thumbsup:

Oh... The game winning scorer in OT was:

Jonathan Toews of the University of North Dakota scored three times in the shootout, including the winning goal.

Which PROVINCE IN CANADA is the University of North Dakota located in?

;):nana:;)

What is it?... Something like 90% of all Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border?... Now their Jr. winning scorer gets his "hockey legs"... And college exp. in the friggan US of A!!!...

Go figure...

x2: :lol:

Ah... But I can't have "sour grapes" for long Millbank... Good game Canada! Congrats... On to beat those Rooskies!

:D

What gets me is that they want hockey to "grow"... Then do this:

From the SabreSpace thread:

No US coverage and TSN has banned out of nation live feeds.~X. Benedict

and...

Fantastic....Can't get through the firewall at work to watch it on TSN Broadband.~Kevbeau

No wonder nobody is interested...

:rolleyes:

No wonder nobody is interested...

Oh and here I thought this was pretty much Canada's hockey version of the USA's equivalent of a souped up AAU basketball game, in which also nobody gives a rats ass about. Especially during football season, and when a shootout can win a medal game. I mean, cmon.

My apologies for posting this thread. It was meant entirely to be informative and not at all to disparage anyone. I am rather surprised so many Americans who claim to be great hockey fans care so little about the nations greatest young players.

What also makes the World Juniors a must-see event stems from the fact that it is hockey's ultimate coming-out party. The World Juniors provides scouts and fans the first glimpse of the NHL's future stars.

Team Canada's roster has included Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux – who need no introduction – along with Boston's Joe Thornton, Paul Kariya of Anaheim, Joe Sakic of Colorado, Trevor Linden of Vancouver, Jarome Iginla of Calgary, Theo Fleury of Chicago, Owen Nolan of San Jose, Jose Theodore of Montreal, Eric Lindros of the New York Rangers, Philadelphia's Eric Desjardins and Atlanta's Dany Heatley to mention a scant few of the stars who wore Canada's colors at the World Juniors.

American alumni include Brian Leetch of the Rangers, Tony Amonte of Phoenix, Keith Tkachuk and Doug Weight of the St. Louis Blues, Tom Poti of the Rangers, Mike Modano of Dallas, Nashville's Mike Dunham and Philadelphia's John LeClair.

Peter Forsberg of the Colorado Avalanche and Montreal's Saku Koivu are only two of the Who's Who of international players who showcased their talent at the World Juniors. Others include NHL stars such as Jaromir Jagr of Washington, Markus Naslund of Vancouver, Pavel Bure of the Rangers, Alexander Mogilny of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit's Sergei Fedorov, Mats Sundin of the Maple Leafs, Mattias Ohlund of Vancouver, Igor Larionov of Detroit, Teppo Numminen of the Coyotes and Marian Gaborik of Minnesota, along with Ilya Kovalchuk of Atlanta. Add Ovechkin, Crosby , this year Johnson of team U.S.A, Toews of Canada. The Alumni of NHL great players who became noticed first by the world at large would fill pages.

Trust me many the world over care very much about this tournament and frankly pay very little attention to those who don't .

My apologies for posting this thread. It was meant entirely to be informative and not at all to disparage anyone. I am rather surprised so many Americans who claim to be great hockey fans care so little about the nations greatest young players.

What also makes the World Juniors a must-see event stems from the fact that it is hockey's ultimate coming-out party. The World Juniors provides scouts and fans the first glimpse of the NHL's future stars.

Team Canada's roster has included Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux – who need no introduction – along with Boston's Joe Thornton, Paul Kariya of Anaheim, Joe Sakic of Colorado, Trevor Linden of Vancouver, Jarome Iginla of Calgary, Theo Fleury of Chicago, Owen Nolan of San Jose, Jose Theodore of Montreal, Eric Lindros of the New York Rangers, Philadelphia's Eric Desjardins and Atlanta's Dany Heatley to mention a scant few of the stars who wore Canada's colors at the World Juniors.

American alumni include Brian Leetch of the Rangers, Tony Amonte of Phoenix, Keith Tkachuk and Doug Weight of the St. Louis Blues, Tom Poti of the Rangers, Mike Modano of Dallas, Nashville's Mike Dunham and Philadelphia's John LeClair.

Peter Forsberg of the Colorado Avalanche and Montreal's Saku Koivu are only two of the Who's Who of international players who showcased their talent at the World Juniors. Others include NHL stars such as Jaromir Jagr of Washington, Markus Naslund of Vancouver, Pavel Bure of the Rangers, Alexander Mogilny of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit's Sergei Fedorov, Mats Sundin of the Maple Leafs, Mattias Ohlund of Vancouver, Igor Larionov of Detroit, Teppo Numminen of the Coyotes and Marian Gaborik of Minnesota, along with Ilya Kovalchuk of Atlanta. Add Ovechkin, Crosby , this year Johnson of team U.S.A, Toews of Canada. The Alumni of NHL great players who became noticed first by the world at large would fill pages.

Trust me many the world over care very much about this tournament and frankly pay very little attention to those who don't .

Don't apologize for posting the thread, it's pretty hard to get coverage stateside.

Sounds like it was a pretty darn good game. Congrats and good luck in the finals.

Yes seriously, you need not apologize. Thank you for the coverage.

Yes seriously, you need not apologize. Thank you for the coverage.

Agreed, good work millbank. Several years ago, I recall young Russian Maxim Afinagenov winning an award as the best forward in the tournament, and a young Canadian named Brian Campbell was named the tournament's best defensman. I remember being all fired up that the Sabres had the rights to both of them.

I flew JetBlue out west to see the Bills-49ers game in December 2004, and I watched a game on ESPN on the flight (not sure if it was World Juniors, but it was junior national teams playing.) It was USA vs. Russia, and the star for USA was Drew Stafford (yes, the Sabres' Drew Stafford,) with Ovechkin running wild for the Russians. The game was awesome. Bigger ice, nonstop action.

It happens all the time...Howard Stern threads, Jim Rome threads, etc...People reply making sure that everyone knows they don't care about the thread, and it sucks, and you suck if you do care about it. For whatever reason, it makes them feel good. Don't sweat it.

Agreed, good work millbank. Several years ago, I recall young Russian Maxim Afinagenov winning an award as the best forward in the tournament, and a young Canadian named Brian Campbell was named the tournament's best defensman. I remember being all fired up that the Sabres had the rights to both of them.

I flew JetBlue out west to see the Bills-49ers game in December 2004, and I watched a game on ESPN on the flight (not sure if it was World Juniors, but it was junior national teams playing.) It was USA vs. Russia, and the star for USA was Drew Stafford (yes, the Sabres' Drew Stafford,) with Ovechkin running wild for the Russians. The game was awesome. Bigger ice, nonstop action.

It happens all the time...Howard Stern threads, Jim Rome threads, etc...People reply making sure that everyone knows they don't care about the thread, and it sucks, and you suck if you do care about it. For whatever reason, it makes them feel good. Don't sweat it.

Yeah. Noone is forcing anyone to watch the world juniors. I'm a big NFL fan but rarely follow NCAA closely because I have no ties to it. It probably works the same way for those who don't watch the world juniors, but do you see me shitting on every NCAA thread because I don't watch it?

Once again good job Mill, S&J and the rest.

Go Canada & Carey Price :w00t:

Thanks for the coverage Mill... And my deepest apologies if I started anything... I was just a little irked to find that it was very hard to get it in the states...

Again thanks... They really should be promoting it more! And Canada should stop "protecting" it and allow it to be viewed outside their country! I wonder why they are so protective?

A few years ago a friend tipped me off on a kid in Rimouski named Crosby. In past years before the internet I would not have been able to learn a whole about him. But thanks to the web I was able to see a star rising. Visiting junior hockey, college and minor hockey sites one can learn a lot about who will be the stories of the future. Just like football with scout.com, there are sites like http://hockeysfuture.com/ to get coverage on the who's who of the stars of tomorrow. Following the tournaments isn't always easy as the attempts to accommodate different languages and time zones can be clumsy. And sometimes the results aren't posted in a timely manner. It is getting better. Sometimes I check the Canadian juniors (the QMJHL in particular) and the colleges (the CCHA).