Head Coach Moves

JoeF

The Bills enter the offseason with some potential long term stability at the Head Coaching position. When your owner publicly states that the current coach is up there with his Hall of Fame favorite coach--its pretty rock solid...other teams aren't so solid...here's some speculation:

Atlanta--its not often that your head coach "jokes" on live radio about his love for another job--combine that with a very disappointing season and Jim Mora, Jr. joins the unemployment line...Wade Phillips gets a strong look here believe it or not...so do Mike Sherman and Mike Tice....and possibly Bill Cowher

New York G-Men--Coughlin wins his way but often finds himself at odds with management about his way--Tom will be gone--we may all be very surprised who emerges as a candidate for this one--Let's just say there's a certain ex-Giants team receptionist that has a vexing spell over a current head coach in our division....The G-men go hard after Belichick and offer the moon, sun and stars to Kraft to get him and this year's model of receptionist to the hoodie to further entice God's coach..if Kraft agrees to a deal to release Belichick--then he has Pete Carroll and Charlie Wies on speed dial

Arizona-Forgone conclusion that Denny Green is gone--does Pete Carroll reunite with Leinart...hmmm--probably not--but Simon's prediction of a Donahoe regime may not be far off--if Fox gets the can in Carolina -- TD won't make the same mistake twice

Tampa-Gruden gets another year

Oakland-Al Davis and reality met once back in the 80's -- they didn't like each other very much -- the voices in Al's head are saying keep Art..

Carolina--shockingly the locals are after John Fox--the year was disappointing--but injuries and Jake DelHomme realizing he was -- well Jake Delhomme after 2 years of great QB play doomed this team...Keep Fox -- bring in a Matt Schaub and watch this team win 12 next year...

Cleveland-Where for art thou Romeo gets the boot--Brian Schottenheimer may get a call here as the Browns look for an offensive mind

Pittsburgh-Cowher "retires" turning down a below market offer from the Rooney's -- Grimm or Whisenhunt get the call -- Mularkey's cell phone does not ring

All pure speculation--add your own....

Carolina--shockingly the locals are after John Fox--the year was disappointing--but injuries and Jake DelHomme realizing he was -- well Jake Delhomme after 2 years of great QB play doomed this team...Keep Fox -- bring in a Matt Schaub and watch this team win 12 next year...

I live in Charlotte...Listen to WFNZ (Sport Talk...The only one in the City) all day every Weekday...Fox has definitely took his share of criticism over Play Calling (the Throw Back/Punt Return attempt vs. Minnesota comes to mind), but I don't think there is a single Carolina Fan calling for Fox to go...Now...The Panthers O and D Coordinators are a different story...Everyone seems to want Henning gone (I know...go figure...)...But Fox is generally VERY highly thought of down here...

One interesting sidenote...The Panthers former Play by Play guy Bill Rosinski (who grew up in Buffalo) has the 10AM-Noon slot on FNZ...Rosinski always brings up the Giants Job when speaking about Fox and wonders aloud if Fox has any type of out for that Job only... :thumbsup:

What? Nothing from the soap opera in Dallas? And no mention of the ongoing Saban-to-Bama scuttlebutt?

(Well, okay, that one probably only resides in the minds of overwrought Tide fans...)

Starting with Atlanta- I almost feel for Mora because he's not all to blame for atlantas shortcomings and contrary to my opinion that the falcons wont be a consistent winner with Vick he's not entirely to blame either. Rich McKay should take the fall but I doubt he will. I think they'll go after an offensive minded head coach in hopes of proving every vick doubter wrong. I get the feeling Arthur Blank is more concerned about fitting square pegs into round holes then building a team. I believe they will go after Steve Marricui, trying unsucessfuly once again to fit vick into a wco.

Giants- Everyone pretty much considers coughlin gone but ernie accorssi will probably be gone as well. Leaving a vacant gm job. As I don't know much about front office personell I'll leave that area alone and just get to who the coaching possibilities are. With the talent the giants still have a good number of vets and not a lot in the way of foundation as most of their team was built thru free agency. I wouldn't rule out the small chance of a Jim Fassel return. I could also see possibly Ron Rivera here.

Arizona- like you said it's basically a given Denny Green is gone. I'm just gonna take a wild stab here, but someone I can see getting the job here. Marty Morningweg. After seeing how well Jeff Garcia has been playing as of late, and the career year of Brian Westbrook, and doing it with no name receivers. I think he passes cam cameron as this years hot shot head coaching prospect. Yeah I know he was a failure in detroit.... Who Isn't? I think Arizona will be the place he gets his second chance.

I see at least 2 openings and possibly as many as 10. My guess is 6

Gone:

Arizona - Its all over except the pink slip

Oakland - Art's coaching career just hasn't been the same since a certain 51-3 AFC Championship game :lol:

Probably gone:

Atlanta - Should have learned from his father's mistakes and kept his big mouth shut.

Retirements:

Pittsburgh - Cowher is probably going to retire (hopefully Fox makes room on the set by bumping Pig Faced Satan :thumbsup:)

Parcells - Big D isn't big enough for the Tuna and TO

Washington - His return to the NFL hasn't gone as well as expected and this time he's working for an arsehole. 2 years is about the expected lifespan working for Dan the Fan. Get ready for Greggo part Duh

Gets another shot:

Cleveland - Crennell is on shakey ground. If a hotshot coordinator or college coach starts getting a lot of press in the next couple of weeks the Browns may dump Romeo for him

Giants - Has a sit down with the New York boss but doesn't get whacked

Possible retirements

Tampa - The Bucs may tell Chucky not to let the door hit his arse on the way out of dropping off his resignation letter :lol:

San Diego - If San Diego wins the Super Bowl I could see Marty going out on top

What? Nothing from the soap opera in Dallas? And no mention of the ongoing Saban-to-Bama scuttlebutt?

(Well, okay, that one probably only resides in the minds of overwrought Tide fans...)

Good calls Lori---I think Saban goes to Bama and Mularkey becomes head coach--this is the dream of an overwrought Bills fan :thumbsup:

I live in Charlotte...Listen to WFNZ (Sport Talk...The only one in the City) all day every Weekday...Fox has definitely took his share of criticism over Play Calling (the Throw Back/Punt Return attempt vs. Minnesota comes to mind), but I don't think there is a single Carolina Fan calling for Fox to go...Now...The Panthers O and D Coordinators are a different story...Everyone seems to want Henning gone (I know...go figure...)...But Fox is generally VERY highly thought of down here...

One interesting sidenote...The Panthers former Play by Play guy Bill Rosinski (who grew up in Buffalo) has the 10AM-Noon slot on FNZ...Rosinski always brings up the Giants Job when speaking about Fox and wonders aloud if Fox has any type of out for that Job only... :thumbsup:

KOK what was the whole story with firing Rosinski from the radio play by play role--he is really good. I have listened to him some this year on the Westwood One NFL Game of the week with Dan Reeves--really excellent stuff.

I agree with some however:

If Coweler were to "retire", I think he'd want ot sit out a year before taking another job.

I hope you're wrong about the Belichick to Giants idea as ginvg up a tone of draft picks to NE to get him would hurt the Bills big time if NE has all these extra picks. On the flip side the Giants gave up too many picks already to get Manning, and are hurting for youth, so I almost think BB is too smart to take that lob as he knows as bare as the stable is now, plus giving up more picks to get him would put the G-Men in a weak spot for years. He'd never win there! I think a more likely one is, if Fox were to get canned, he goes to NY.

Agree about Green

Also think Saban is gone from Miami. I doubt Mularky would get job, though we can only hope, though you never know how many if he fixes some of his problems in Buffalo. I also think some of his isses were casued by TD lurking in the background.

I also think Gibbs will go back to NASCAR.

Crennel is safe for another year.

Gruden, not sure??

If Cowher retires, I believe that Dick LeBeau deserves the shot to be HC of that Steelers team. Heck, I think that Dick LeBeau deserves a shot at HC for any one of the impending HC vacancies around the league. I still feel he was the main reason for our teams success on defense and not Jerry Gray when he was here.

Who are the hot assistant coaches this year? I was trying to think of them, but the only one I could come up with who could be a name tossed around for vacancies was Cam Cameron of San Diego. Who else is out there who would draw attention?

Who are the hot assistant coaches this year? I was trying to think of them, but the only one I could come up with who could be a name tossed around for vacancies was Cam Cameron of San Diego. Who else is out there who would draw attention?

Ron Rivera, DC for the Bears

Norm Chow, OC for the Titans

I don't know if Norv Turner will be under consideration again....but he has done a good job with Alex Smith in SF.

If Cowher retires, I believe that Dick LeBeau deserves the shot to be HC of that Steelers team. Heck, I think that Dick LeBeau deserves a shot at HC for any one of the impending HC vacancies around the league. I still feel he was the main reason for our teams success on defense and not Jerry Gray when he was here.

I would think it has to be Whisenhut or Grimm, and if Grimm gets it, Whisenhut will take an HC job elsewhere.

Hot coordinators?

Ron Rivera

Cam Cameron

Wade Phillips

Norm Chow

Marty Morningweg- He's done wonders revitalizing the career of jeff garcia and not only keeping the eagles offense afloat but as the #2 offense in the nfl and 6th in scoring offense for their best offensive ranking since 1990. Brian Westbrook is having a career year as well.

The way Marty coached in Detroit, he should not be near any NFL facility.