3 DT's from Bears are free agents this year.

PIZ

I It's so rare to find a guy who's quick enough to rush the passer but still strong enough to hold up against the run.

One of the ironies here is that when he is inspired enough to play team ball rather than me ball, recent former Bill Sam Adams has just the type of rare body size and mobility you are talking about. He has one of the quickest first steps in the league which allowed him to be a fearsome pass rusher and his step was so fast and had the potential to embarass the opposing OL player that it allowed him to take half (or more) of plays off per game. There was no telling when he might decide to play and OL players were backing up every play and OCs assigned an extra blocker to him in case this was one of the plays he blew past the player assigned to him.

He actually was inspired enough during big parts of his first couple of years with the Bills that he only took a third of the game off and his output got him a Pro Bowl nod. Alas and a lack when his budy Phat Sam decided to leave the team after TD made the mistake of being a little bit too tough in deal-making with him, Sam seemed to be come more uncooperative and seemed more interested in getting sacks than using his big body to clog the middle.

I can see that Jauron and Fewell seemed to decide they could not manage this malcontent because he certainly had that rare frame and ability you are talking about. Is a shame he never used that natural ability to be the run stuffer he was on inspired occaisions.

One of the ironies here is that when he is inspired enough to play team ball rather than me ball, recent former Bill Sam Adams has just the type of rare body size and mobility you are talking about. He has one of the quickest first steps in the league which allowed him to be a fearsome pass rusher and his step was so fast and had the potential to embarass the opposing OL player that it allowed him to take half (or more) of plays off per game. There was no telling when he might decide to play and OL players were backing up every play and OCs assigned an extra blocker to him in case this was one of the plays he blew past the player assigned to him.

He actually was inspired enough during big parts of his first couple of years with the Bills that he only took a third of the game off and his output got him a Pro Bowl nod. Alas and a lack when his budy Phat Sam decided to leave the team after TD made the mistake of being a little bit too tough in deal-making with him, Sam seemed to be come more uncooperative and seemed more interested in getting sacks than using his big body to clog the middle.

I can see that Jauron and Fewell seemed to decide they could not manage this malcontent because he certainly had that rare frame and ability you are talking about. Is a shame he never used that natural ability to be the run stuffer he was on inspired occaisions.

Absolutely.

Adams had one of the fastest first steps I've ever witnessed out of a man his size. He would be the ideal player for this defense if he had a run stopping attitude. It seemed clear to me he didn't like getting his hands dirty. He would often give up if he couldn't beat his man with that first step, and rarely pursued. He played lazy and I can't blame Marv and Jauron for wanting that type of influence off the team.

Pat Williams and Sam Adams for that matter were/are both quick. They were quicker into the backfield than any DTs on the team this year. I do think a big problem with the run defense is the LB corps. I think Fletcher is a guy with great heart and plays hard for you all the time, but he gets swallowed up quickly many times in the run defense. Spikes has as well. I would be very satisfied with a "run stuffer" and a top FA LB. I think those two additions could be a lot to this defense.

Since he wasn't too expensive I wished all along we had kept Sam just to keep in the DL rotation. That would have been an awesome DL rotation! If he begin to freelance or play lazy get his fat @$$ out of there. That would motivate him to play discipline. But Sam has proven that he can get it done and has the ability to dominate the LOS; Anderson, Williams, and Tripplett for that matter can't.

Exactly. If the poster who mentioned Minnesota being Cover 2 was right that's exactly what I'm looking for. We can run this defense just fine with 9 guys that can fly to the football. If we’are holding out for that quick pass rusher/run stopper combo we'll be at the bottom of the league in run defense for a long time. That is unless we find our Tommie Harris or Warren Sapp. I just see that being a long shot. At the least we can bring in one run situation DT and pair him up with KW. I could live with that potential. You never want to restrict yourself to certain physicality’s, especially at such a sought after position.

Mike,

That's exactly what I should have said, instead of just mentioning the Vikings. The only caveat to having the big bodies is having em run around (maybe not as much as the Tripplett/Williams/McCargo tandem) but run nonetheless.

Heck, look at the Falcons - they're running the T2, but they added Grady Jackson, who is two M & M's shy of darn near 400. I think if we can get a guy that's a big 'un that can haul without going offsides a ton we can shore up the run d a ton.

Also, if we can get faster at LB (with TKO recovering, Fletcher either being let go or being out in run downs, etc) we can help out the over-penetration that sometimes occurs in the Tampa 2.

Ya... Tank really has the "character" part nailed down... <_<-_-

Exiled,

From day one Marv and Dick J have said you didn't have to be a choir boy to be a Bill - that their idea of character was playing all the way through, not quitting and enjoying football for the sake of football. Need I remind you that our first round pick was involved in some issues with domestic disturbances - which if he didn't play for Buffalo would probably had garnished more of an outcry?

Exiled,

From day one Marv and Dick J have said you didn't have to be a choir boy to be a Bill - that their idea of character was playing all the way through, not quitting and enjoying football for the sake of football. Need I remind you that our first round pick was involved in some issues with domestic disturbances - which if he didn't play for Buffalo would probably had garnished more of an outcry?

Which is exactly why Adams was not going to fit into the teams 'character' line. Come to think of it, if half the posters here are correct about WMs inconsistency of effort, I'd say he'd be viewed by Marv & DJ as low character as well.