Lots to be optimistic about for 2007

Cornerville

You guys need to figure a couple of things out with this team...

They dont know how to win big games..

They dont know how to go for the kill...

Piss poor coaching will continue...

And for the real topper...  RALPH WILSON WILL NOT SPEND 30-40 MILLION THAT WE HAVE IN CAP ROOM!!!!!

877824[/snapback]

could you please find another place to be an a-hole? :doh:

Merry Christmas :D

Exactly. 6-10 likely, 8-8 at best.

878021[/snapback]

Merry Christmas and have another :D

Is this based on:

1) depressed pessimism?

2) the belief that next year's team will be worse? (because Clements is THAT good and we have so many veterans who will lose a step, and that adds up to more loss than a year of experience for our young players, McCargo + Youboty + draft + FA)

3) the belief that the schedule will be harder? (this year we got SD and BAL who were not even playoff teams last year as the schedule was planned but are now bye teams)

4) the belief that we have gotten the ball to bounce our way this year and luck will worsen? (TV, McCargo, Crowell, Spikes, Willis + other injuries; four close losses but only two close wins)

5) The belief that things will be better next year, but 8-8 in 2007 is better than 7-9 in 2006, and we shouldn't hope for more of a leap?

6) not wanting to jinx us when you really think we could be good?

I think that this team right now should be one of the up and comers for next year, and should be expected by smart money to win 8-10 games most likely (instead of 6-8). 11 wins or more is everything going right, and 7 or less would be some serious things going wrong.

I think there is a lot of reason for optimism, and this will be a fun off season.

Merry Christmas and have another  :D

Is this based on:

1) depressed pessimism?

7 year playoff droughts will do that to ya.

2) the belief that next year's team will be worse? (because Clements is THAT good and we have so many veterans who will lose a step, and that adds up to more loss than a year of experience for our young players, McCargo + Youboty + draft + FA)

Clements is a goner. Of that there can be no doubt. Spikes is done. Fletch will be another year older.

I'm not so sure I care about Clements losing so long as they had a good replacement lined up. McCargo I have serious doubts about. Wasn't one of the knocks on him his health?

Don't hold your breath on FA either. Ralph's the poorest billionaire you'll ever meet.

3) the belief that the schedule will be harder?  (this year we got SD and BAL who were not even playoff teams last year as the schedule was planned but are now bye teams)

Take a look at it. Not nice. Games in Philly and two against NE again. Two against the Jets who by all rights look to be a good team next year too. Game vs. Dallas and Jacksonville again.

It's brutal yet again.

4) the belief that we have gotten the ball to bounce our way this year and luck will worsen? (TV, McCargo, Crowell, Spikes, Willis + other injuries; four close losses but only two close wins)

This team never gets bounces. It used up all its karma in the Oilers comeback game.

5) The belief that things will be better next year, but 8-8 in 2007 is better than 7-9 in 2006, and we shouldn't hope for more of a leap?

Remember 2004 - 2005? I do.

6) not wanting to jinx us when you really think we could be good?

Who knows, they could be 13-3 next year. I'm just not willing to bet the farm on it.

My bet is on the 8th consecutive season w/o a playoff appearance, with eyes to 2008.

They NEED to make the playoffs and win at least one game in 2008, or Marv goes.

The difference from those teams and this one is youth and age. The youth of the players Losman, Evans, McGahee, Peters, Whitner, Simpson, Shoebel, and others. And the age and wisdom of Marv Levy. Other past teams would sign borderline players for BIG money because the Bills were close. Marv will play it smart.

Some people have such little faith.

1. Dont you think that the Bills know that they need to sign or replace Clements and Spikes. London Fletcher will be resigned. Look for one to be replaced by a free agent, the other with a first round pick.

2. How do you know what is a hard or easy schedule for next year. Who would of thought that the Saints were a hard game and that the Bucs would be a easy game. You never know. New England could be 6-10 next year.

3. The Bills core players Losman, Evans, Peters, MaGahee, Shoebel, Whitner, Simpson, and others are young and improving.

THIS TEAM WILL ONLY GET BETTER. SIT DOWN SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE SHOW!!

--The Bills are too married to small-and-quick on the d-line to acquire a big runstuffer. Look at the Colts. They've been getting gashed by the run for years but have they changed a thing? Nope. Tampa-2 enthusiasts don't tend to be flexible about their philosophy. We're going to end up drafting an athletic 295-lber like Glenn Dorsey or Brandon Mebane. It won't help the run defense much but it'll make us even more dangerous on passing attempts.

877880[/snapback]

Are they? Really? I know they told us fans that Ngata wasn't a good fit for our new defense, but I think they not drafting him was because they were more sold (surest pick, I mean) on Whitner than anything else.

Remember that we went after Ryan Pickett in the offseason and the Packers beat us in that race. Pickett is listed at 322 pounds in the NFL page (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235235). By all acounts not a small guy.

I'm sure after the end results of this year run defense, we'll see a big body and talented (hopefully), inserted in the middle of the line

Are they? Really? I know they told us fans that Ngata wasn't a good fit for our new defense, but I think they not drafting him was because they were more sold (surest pick, I mean) on Whitner than anything else.

Remember that we went after Ryan Pickett in the offseason and the Packers beat us in that race. Pickett is listed at 322 pounds in the NFL page (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235235). By all acounts not a small guy.

I'm sure after the end results of this year run defense, we'll see a big body and talented (hopefully), inserted in the middle of the line

878056[/snapback]

Size alone does not define a guy as a run stuffer. Look no further then Sam Adams, he's as big as they come but classify him more of a penetrating/pass rushing type DT then a guy you can cound on to stop the run.

Size alone does not define a guy as a run stuffer. Look no further then Sam Adams, he's as big as they come but classify him more of a penetrating/pass rushing type DT then a guy you can cound on to stop the run.

878063[/snapback]

Hey, I'm with you, but it seems that after this year fiasco at stopping the run everyone is hoping for a fat bastard in the middle of the line.

Believe me I want the same but first and foremost I want a guy/s with talent, like the Bears have and they're not the biggest guys out there.

Williams and Tripplet are nice players but togheter they're overmatched more often than not. Unfortunately Anderson hasn't improve a bit since his rookie year and McCargo is, at this point, a ?.

Hey, I'm with you, but it seems that after this year fiasco at stopping the run everyone is hoping for a fat bastard in the middle of the line.

Believe me I want the same but first and foremost I want a guy/s with talent, like the Bears have and they're not the biggest guys out there.

Williams and Tripplet are nice players but togheter they're overmatched more often than not. Unfortunately Anderson hasn't improve a bit since his rookie year and McCargo is, at this point, a ?.

878069[/snapback]

Yes, I too have wondered about McCargo. Where does he fit in ? We already spent a 1st rounder for a DT (him) last year and would rather see what free agency gets us before we start thinking about the draft.

Remember 2004 - 2005? I do.

878037[/snapback]

I do too...the year MM gave the reigns to a over matched JP which spun the entire season out of whack...not to mention a big loss with Spikes...

2007 will be different simply form the fact JP is more experienced, again, this is assuming we bring back most of the team...especially Nate

878056[/snapback]

That's a good point about Pickett if we were really interested in him. Still, he's a one-gap type who hasn't improved either the Packers or Rams in run defense. I also wonder if we would've asked him to lose the weight had he signed.

Lost by 1 to Tennessee....Lost by 1 to Indianapolis....Lost by 2 to New England...Lost by 3 to San Diego...Lost by 3 at Detroit (how did THAT happen!?)...SO close to making the playoffs...kudos to Jauron and the team for not caving in after the 2-5 start...and I for one am looking forward to 2007.

Had a thought, not sure how accurate this is:  That win at Cincy last year ensured the Bills of finishing ahead of the Jets...consider this...because of that...the Jets got at Cleveland and Oakland and Buffalo got San Diego and at Baltimore.

Amazing how much of a difference...and advantage...this became for the Jets..

GO BILLS in 2007!!!!

And Merry Christmas, Happy Festivus, Happy Chanukah, Happy Kwaanza...and Happy New Year to everyone here on TBD!

877773[/snapback]

Awesome post. I don't know what our record will be in 2007, and i'm not ready to predict like some people are. We have a very tuff schedule next season, so it's gonna be hard but we'll be a very improved team that could have won 9-10 games this season like you mentioned.