NHL Considering Major Schedule Changes

millbank

NHL Changes being considered

* A reduction in the number of divisions from six to four. There would still be an Eastern Conference and a Western Conference, but there were would one eight-team division and one seven-team division in each conference.

* The top two teams in each division would be guaranteed the top four playoff seeds within the conference with four wild card playoff berths going to the teams with the next highest point totals.

* The four new divisions would be configured primarily along the lines of time zones. The theory is not only would this benefit teams in terms of travel, but could also boost TV ratings because game times in the same time zone would be more favorable.

* The current Northeast Division (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo and Boston) would remain intact and add two other teams to form a seven-team division. Sources say Pittsburgh is one of those teams that would join the Northeast teams.

* The current Atlantic Division (the three New York area teams plus Philadelphia) would be melded together with four teams from the current Southeast Division (all but one of Washington, Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Florida).

* The eight-team division in the Western Conference would feature all teams in Pacific or Mountain time zones (Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Colorado and Phoenix).

* The seven-team division in the Western Conference would feature teams that are in either the Central or Eastern time zones.

* As for the schedule, it is said to be a little more complicated than it currently is, because of the uneven number of teams in the divisions, but each team will apparently play its division rivals six times each and its conference rivals either three or four times each and non-conference teams once each.

First off, Bettman and the rest of the NHL heads miss the boat on one thing:

The seven-team division in the Western Conference would feature teams that are in either the Central or Eastern time zones.

This proves right here it is time to scrap the Eastern and Western Conference names. This is not the NBA Bettman. Reinstate the Wales and Campbell Conference names, please!!!

I like the 4 division format, it does put more of an emphasis on winning a division. Not sure how I feel about the 4 wildcard team thing though.

First off, Bettman and the rest of the NHL heads miss the boat on one thing:

The seven-team division in the Western Conference would feature teams that are in either the Central or Eastern time zones.

This proves right here it is time to scrap the Eastern and Western Conference names.  This is not the NBA Bettman.  Reinstate the Wales and Campbell Conference names, please!!!

I like the 4 division format, it does put more of an emphasis on winning a division.  Not sure how I feel about the 4 wildcard team thing though.

874992[/snapback]

I really don't care too much about the Wales and Campbell names, but they definitely have to bring back the Adams, Patrick, Norris, and Smyth divisions.

I really don't care too much about the Wales and Campbell names, but they definitely have to bring back the Adams, Patrick, Norris, and Smyth divisions.

875000[/snapback]

Best division names ever.

they definitely have to bring back the Adams, Patrick, Norris, and Smyth divisions.

875000[/snapback]

Absolutely.

I like the proposal to revert to 4 divisions but giving a higher seed for finishing 2d is stupid. If you don't win your division, you should go into the WC pool.