great piece by dr. z

dave mcbride

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...ider/index.html

After reading this, it made me think that there is definitely a vibe now that playing for the Bills means playing for a fair, honest GM and a no-bullsh*t, honest head coach.

874946[/snapback]

I also liked this piece a lot. Interesting to see what might go in in the mind of an NFL lineman. I had not thought to apply it to the Bills' situation.

I was most interested in the comments on racial issues on teams. I wonder how the Bills rate for racial comity on the squad? Is there a sense that players can trust each other, and the coaches and management, over racial lines? Who are the lockerroom leaders? Are they different for white and black players?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...ider/index.html

After reading this, it made me think that there is definitely a vibe now that playing for the Bills means playing for a fair, honest GM and a no-bullsh*t, honest head coach.

874946[/snapback]

I don't think I have ever read or heard anything bad about DJ as a coach from a past player. Not even "read between the lines" kind of things.

Come to think of it, the only player that I can think of that complained about Levy as a coach was Smerlas. And he bitched because he got cut.

And that's good. A straight up honest front office and coach, plus a team that looks to be on the rise, should attract the attention of the free agents hitting the market.

Well, one thing going for both Jauron and Levy is that they have had players over the years that rave about them. Black and white. I think that speaks volumes.

I did read this part

"They'll never figure out how to build a good line around you. They won't draft or trade for it, they won't lay in enough depth. They're into what the owner calls, 'sexy picks,' a hot shot quarterback or wideout or pass rusher, to make sure the fans keep coming. And the club is going to hell, and I don't want you going there with it.

...and all I could think about was Tom Donohoe.

Well, one thing going for both Jauron and Levy is that they have had players over the years that rave about them. Black and white. I think that speaks volumes.

I did read this part

"They'll never figure out how to build a good line around you. They won't draft or trade for it, they won't lay in enough depth. They're into what the owner calls, 'sexy picks,' a hot shot quarterback or wideout or pass rusher, to make sure the fans keep coming. And the club is going to hell, and I don't want you going there with it.

...and all I could think about was Tom Donohoe.

You 'n me both, Rubes. (And probably a lot of other people here, as well.)