So if income is a reason for bad attendence

Cornerville

The median income for a household in the city is $38,820, and the median income for a family is $48,678. Males have a median income of $33,246 versus $23,825 for females. The per capita income for the city is $19,269. 10.5% of the population and 7.4% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 12.7% of those under the age of 18 and 9.2% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.

Green Bay

I do not want to hear about how so many people travel from all over the state...because the same can be said for people in NY State and even Canada. But just looking at the GB income levels how come they have no issues selling games out?

How come fans in WNY, CNY and Canada cannot buy up a lot of season tickets like in Green Bay?

I know what you are all going to say, Lambeau Field and tradition...if the Packers played in a cardboard box, they would sell out.

Why can't Buffalo?

I'm sorry, but to me now Buffalo football fans are no different then most, a great football town only when the team is going well. Otherwise, it is ordinary.

I'm sorry, but to me now Buffalo football fans are no different then most, a great football town only when the team is going well.  Otherwise, it is ordinary.

874923[/snapback]

You know what really boggles my mind about a Bills fan like you?

Why are you trying so damn hard to knock fellow Buffalo Fans down, like you can't wait to reign judgment on how "average" bills fans are? WTF is up with that?

We can all rest assured now that you have judged us all "ordinary".

Thanks.

I don't blame us for not selling out this game. It is going to be cold, family events are going on on X-mas eve, and it is going to be cold. Here is the thing to consider in Green Bay: that state does not have another sports team, save Badgers basketball, running currently. You cited the median income, well, this figure leads me to think people are spending their money on Sabres tickets. Who can blame them? The Sabres are very good this year, and people want to see a winner. The games are also inside, which is a bigger selling point than people think.

You're looking at the wrong percentile of the demographic. Also, I don't think median is a particularly good indicator for affording a 'luxury' item such as game tickets.

What you're most interested in is a number of the population (which can be derived from a %age & the ttl pop. figure) that likely have roughly $80/person or $200/household for a single game or $800/$2000 for a season ticket.

To me, that means upper middle class. How much of the population has at least a moderate amount of disposable income. Although I don't think of WNY as a 'poor' region (I haven't lived there for 20+ yrs now), I also don't think it has much of an ecomony based on the type of jobs that yield those type of wages.

You know what really boggles my mind about a Bills fan like you?

Why are you trying so damn hard to knock fellow Buffalo Fans down, like you can't wait to reign judgment on how "average" bills fans are?  WTF is up with that? 

We can all rest assured now that you have judged us all "ordinary".

Thanks.

874935[/snapback]

First off I guess the fact that you could not bring something to the table to disprove what I said, there is a hint of truth into what I said.

I know how great Buffalo fans can be. And I say these things because I care about the fans and this team. Buffalo fans are starting to get a bad reputation with other fans as being obnixious, rowdy, etc. My friends call me and ask "why are there so many empty seats at the stadium, what happened up there?" It pains me to hear these things.

A lot of Bills fans here like to say bad things about Miami fans, Philly fans etc. Maybe we all need to take a look around our fan base and realize there are the same if not more issues and realize this before ripping into other fans.

First off I guess the fact that you could not bring something to the table to disprove what I said, there is a hint of truth into what I said.

I know how great Buffalo fans can be.  And I say these things because I care about the fans and this team.  Buffalo fans are starting to get a bad reputation with other fans as being obnixious, rowdy, etc.  My friends call me and ask "why are there so many empty seats at the stadium, what happened up there?"  It pains me to hear these things.

A lot of Bills fans here like to say bad things about Miami fans, Philly fans etc.  Maybe we all need to take a look around our fan base and realize there are the same if not more issues and realize this before ripping into other fans.

874958[/snapback]

It's not a matter of DISPROVING what you said. It's a matter of having FUN and ENJOYING the BILLS with other fans instead of making threads whining about how crappy Bills fans are.... Who gives a s*it what other teams fans think of us! Do you give a s*it what every random person you know thinks of you? I doubt that.

And saying bad things about other fans? That's just par for the course. It's a game, and it's called trash talking. This is football! Who gives a sh*t about being consistent? Fandom is hardly a rational matter. We're not hammering out Treaties or working to eradicate third world poverty here, ya know what I'm sayin?

GO BILLS!!

I do not want to hear about how so many people travel from all over the state...because the same can be said for people in NY State and even Canada.  But just looking at the GB income levels how come they have no issues selling games out?

How come fans in WNY, CNY and Canada cannot buy up a lot of season tickets like in Green Bay?

I know what you are all going to say, Lambeau Field and tradition...if the Packers played in a cardboard box, they would sell out.

Why can't Buffalo?

I'm sorry, but to me now Buffalo football fans are no different then most, a great football town only when the team is going well.  Otherwise, it is ordinary.

874923[/snapback]

The world existed before you were born. Those people bought up the season tix a long time ago. I've heard anecdotes about people willing them to their spawn.

The hardcore Bills fans like us here on this board are great fans. The folks that go to the stadium every week are awesome fans. I can't defend Buffalo anymore as a whole. It really is a front runners town. The sellout streak we had going was really an anomaly and special considering the team hasn't made the playoffs in years. Now the streak is over and people won't sell the place out again unless it's opening day or the team gets on a huge roll next year. HSBC didn't sell out much either until last year when the Sabres started steamrolling the league.

The world existed before you were born. Those people bought up the season tix a long time ago. I've heard anecdotes about people willing them to their spawn.

874968[/snapback]

Yup.

Lambeau Field has been sold out on a season-ticket basis since 1960, and the people finally nearing the top of the waiting list put their names in some THIRTY YEARS ago. Also, since they used to play some home games in Milwaukee, many longtime season-tix holders drive north from the Milwaukee metro area (2000 population: 1.5 million). Donte may want to factor their demographics into his analysis.

EZC, I agree.

Sitting on this barstool talking like a damn fool

Got the twelve o'clock news blues

And I've given up hope on the afternoon soaps

And a bottle of cold brew

Is it any wonder I'm not crazy? Is it any wonder I'm sane at all

Well I'm so tired of losing- I got nothing to do and all day to do it

I go out cruisin' but I've no place to go and all night to get there

Is it any wonder I'm not a criminal?

Is it any wonder I'm not in jail?

Is it any wonder I've got

Too much time on my hands, it's ticking away with my sanity

I've got too much time on my hands, it's hard to believe such a calamity

I've got too much time on my hands and it's ticking away from me

Too much time on my hands, too much time on my hands

Too much time on my hands

Well, I'm a jet fuel genius - I can solve the world's problems

Without even trying

I have dozens of friends and the fun never ends

That is, as long as I'm buying

Is it any wonder I'm not the president

(He's not the president)

Is it any wonder I'm null and void?

Is it any wonder I've got

Too much time on my hands, it's ticking away at my sanity

I've got too much time on my hands, it's hard to believe such a calamity

I've got too much time on my hands and it's ticking away from me

Too much time on my hands, too much time on my hands

Too much time on my hands

from wikipedia...what a crappy group of fans...20,000(allegedly) show up to just tailgate and celebrate the bills

It is considered one of the top three venues in the NFL for tailgating.[citation needed] As many as 60,000 people are on site tailgating 3 hours prior to the game. Typically, up to 20,000 don't attend the game, coming to the stadium simply to enjoy the parking lot's festivities. On game days, roughly one out of every 12 people in the Western New York region comes to the two square miles along Abbott Road and Southwestern Boulevard (US 20).

I do not want to hear about how so many people travel from all over the state...because the same can be said for people in NY State and even Canada.  But just looking at the GB income levels how come they have no issues selling games out?

I don't know if I agree with most of those numbers on the Wikipedia (my in-laws live in Green Bay), but if you take them at face value, you need to look at the numbers that Buffalo provides as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo%2C_ny

Buffalo:

The median income for a household in the city is $24,536, and the median income for a family is $30,614. Males have a median income of $30,938 versus $23,982 for females. The per capita income for the city is $14,991. 26.6% of the population and 23.0% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 38.4% of those under the age of 18 and 14.0% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.

Green Bay:

The median income for a household in the city is $38,820, and the median income for a family is $48,678. Males have a median income of $33,246 versus $23,825 for females. The per capita income for the city is $19,269. 10.5% of the population and 7.4% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 12.7% of those under the age of 18 and 9.2% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.

So the median household income in GB is 50% higher than Buffalo. 26.6% of the population of Buffalo is below the poverty line (compared to 10.5% in GB) and 23% of families are below the poverty line in Buffalo (compared to 7.4% in GB). GB is doing MUCH better off than Buffalo is.

CW

71,500 people on the waiting list

Yup.

Lambeau Field has been sold out on a season-ticket basis since 1960, and the people finally nearing the top of the waiting list put their names in some THIRTY YEARS ago. Also, since they used to play some home games in Milwaukee, many longtime season-tix holders drive north from the Milwaukee metro area (2000 population: 1.5 million). Donte may want to factor their demographics into his analysis.

EZC, I agree.

874989[/snapback]

I don't blame us for not selling out this game. It is going to be cold, family events are going on on X-mas eve, and it is going to be cold. Here is the thing to consider in Green Bay: that state does not have another sports team, save Badgers basketball, running currently. You cited the median income, well, this figure leads me to think people are spending their money on Sabres tickets. Who can blame them? The Sabres are very good this year, and people want to see a winner. The games are also inside, which is a bigger selling point than people think.

874951[/snapback]

Actually, it is not going to be that cold. I think the high is supposed to be in the 40s. That is not bad for this time of year in Buffalo.

Let me first say that I'm a Bills fan but have never set foot in Buffalo. WIth that being said , you can't just compare household incomes; how much does housing/rent and taxes cost in Green Bay compared to Buffalo? Without comparing that it is useless stats. Like I tell my former co-worker it's a big difference if you choose to take a job paying $100K in an area where the average house cost $440K as compared to where the same job salary is $70K and the average house cost $250K. You might think $30K more is a big difference but it's not when you consider %40 of that will go to taxes while you will definitely have $1000-1500 month mortgage difference. It's not how much you make but how much you are worth and I'm pretty sure those in Green Bay in the Midwest where evrything is cheap are living much better than anybody in the state of NY where taxes alone can break you!