StubHub countersuing the Patriots

JÂy RÛßeÒ

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/foot...b.ap/index.html

In late November, the Patriots sued the company, as well as two named people and 50 unnamed season ticket holders who allegedly resold their tickets on StubHub illegally.

A rarely enforced scalping law in Massachusetts limits ticket reselling businesses to markups of $2 above face value, plus various service charges.

The Patriots were seeking three times the revenue brought in by StubHub and the other defendants and an injunction against further reselling of Patriots tickets on the StubHub Web site.

San Francisco-based StubHub claims the Patriots attempted to obtain a monopoly on the ticket resale market by illegally fixing ticket prices, misleading ticket holders into thinking they cannot resell their tickets and illegally revoking tickets of customers who try.

StubHub wants the initial complaint dismissed, the Patriots to stop "predatory conduct" and "unfair and deceptive acts" and unspecified damages and attorney's fees, according to the lawsuit.

Law does not apply to online auction sites, however. In NY, ebay users cannot resell tickets for above face.

874485[/snapback]

This is no longer true. They apply local laws now. I sold Bills tickets on EBay and I was required to enter the face value - it then told me what the top price would be and that the auction would end when that price was hit.

This is no longer true.  They apply local laws now.  I sold Bills tickets on EBay and I was required to enter the face value - it then told me what the top price would be and that the auction would end when that price was hit.

874610[/snapback]

I believe that to be true. Additionally, if you are selling Bills tickets, on e-Bay, and are located outside of New York State, the maximum price does not apply to you. However, good luck getting a premium for a seat when there are 19,000 available at the box office!

This is no longer true.  They apply local laws now.  I sold Bills tickets on EBay and I was required to enter the face value - it then told me what the top price would be and that the auction would end when that price was hit.

874610[/snapback]

True but I don't think it cares what you enter in as the face value of the tickets. I don't believe there is a control over what you enter as face value. So just throw $1000 in there and you're safe.

Is scalping really illegal?  They why does E-bay and other sites allow it?

874472[/snapback]

I don't think it's illegal. Come on, Ticketmaster has been doing it for years. I love when my $15 hockey ticket costs me $30. :lol:

it is an interesting case. Both sides aer claiming they are trying to protect the fans.

Stubhub helps those with tickets trying to make lots of money.

Patriots helping those who want tickets so they don't have to pay $175 per ticket on stubhub (pats allow ticket holders to resell for face value to those in the season ticket holder list).

The pats also took away the season tickets of SMERLAS!!! who was selling "tailgate with fred" tickets and tailgate packages for $500 or so, or just the tailgate for $200. Obviously this mean the tickets were effectively being sold for $300...he should have priced things differently but it couldn't have happened to a better person :lol: