Contest

I have had so much fun watching the regression thread that the first one who correctly explains

This

article with reference to "regression to the mean" gets the light saver that Beerball had slip through his grasp.

873294[/snapback]

It's simple. Your average person has brown eyes. If you have blue eyes, your DNA's wrong. As people have kids, the kids' DNA becomes more and more correct, and the population's eyes regress toward the mean until everyone has 3.5 brown eyes.

QED.

It's simple.  Your average person has brown eyes.  If you have blue eyes, your DNA's wrong.  As people have kids, the kids' DNA becomes more and more correct, and the population's eyes regress toward the mean until everyone has 3.5 brown eyes. 

QED.

873304[/snapback]

Sounds good to me. Here's your light saver. Feel free to use it as a cool new avatar.

This is a case of the "Nature vs Nuture" argument turning against itself

i'll use dogs as an example. Dogs evolved from wolves. They are much more docile and have different physical traits however. These traits come from thousands of years of natural selection.

As humans began to form communities and tribes they generated waste and trash the same way we do today. Our ancestors would throw their trash outside their villages and huts. Some of the more docile wolves would scavenge our garbage rather than hunt for their own. These wolves would pass down their genetic traits to their pups who would then become more docile around humans and pass their traits down, etc.

As the wolves became increasing docile their bodies produced less adreline and some kind of "tonin" (melatonin, seratonin, or something like that...i saw a special on PBS). As their bodies produced less of these chemicals the wolves physical appearance changed. Wolves have fur of one color whereas dogs have fur with patches of different colors. Wolves ears stand up while dog ears droop. Wolves are pretty much the same size and dogs come in varying sizes.

While the physical appearance of dogs changed they also became increasingly docile and were tamed by humans. Humans then put the animal to work for us. The jobs we gave our new best friends (sheep dog, hunting dog, attack dog, etc) further evolved the animal.

Now on to how this relates to humans

Most people are assh0les

assh0les are also called brown eyes

As assh0les procreate they pass down the assh0le gene to their offspring who also learn the assh0le behavior, thus strengthening the assh0le gene

The assh0le gene is getting stronger and is being passed to more and more people

As the assh0le gene is passed to more and more people it is therefore regressing towards the mean

It's simple.  Your average person has brown eyes.  If you have blue eyes, your DNA's wrong.  As people have kids, the kids' DNA becomes more and more correct, and the population's eyes regress toward the mean until everyone has 3.5 brown eyes. 

QED.

873304[/snapback]

Quantum Electo Dynamics? That you Feynman???

Quantum Electo Dynamics? That you Feynman???

873724[/snapback]

Quod Erat Demonstratum.

But I know Quantum Electrodynamics too...though I prefer Schwinger's formalism to Feynman diagrams. But then, I argue about statistics for two thousand posts with a functional kindergartener as well, so maybe I'm a masochist... :lol:

This is a case of the "Nature vs Nuture" argument turning against itself

i'll use dogs as an example.  Dogs evolved from wolves.  They are much more docile and have different physical traits however.  These traits come from thousands of years of natural selection. 

As humans began to form communities and tribes they generated waste and trash the same way we do today.  Our ancestors would throw their trash outside their villages and huts.  Some of the more docile wolves would scavenge our garbage rather than hunt for their own.  These wolves would pass down their genetic traits to their pups who would then become more docile around humans and pass their traits down, etc. 

As the wolves became increasing docile their bodies produced less adreline and some kind of "tonin" (melatonin, seratonin, or something like that...i saw a special on PBS).  As their bodies produced less of these chemicals the wolves physical appearance changed.  Wolves have fur of one color whereas dogs have fur with patches of different colors.  Wolves ears stand up while dog ears droop.  Wolves are pretty much the same size and dogs come in varying sizes.

While the physical appearance of dogs changed they also became increasingly docile and were tamed by humans.  Humans then put the animal to work for us.  The jobs we gave our new best friends (sheep dog, hunting dog, attack dog, etc) further evolved the animal.

Now on to how this relates to humans

Most people are assh0les

assh0les are also called brown eyes

As assh0les procreate they pass down the assh0le gene to their offspring who also learn the assh0le behavior, thus strengthening the assh0le gene

The assh0le gene is getting stronger and is being passed to more and more people

As the assh0le gene is passed to more and more people it is therefore regressing towards the mean

873651[/snapback]

That Nova thing opn Dogs was amazing. Like what they did with the foxes.