The Top 10 Saddest Songs in the World

Tux of Borg

is that the one i mentioned about the christmas shoes for her dying mother?  the song sucks but it is soooooooo f***ing sad

873262[/snapback]

Different song, but same schlock - who in the hell hears this crap and thinks it is a good song? Seriously, I don't know that you could write cheesier tunes - makes me want to barf.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Buckley's Hallelujah comes to mind. It is his cover of Leonard Cohen.

Which makes me think "Goodbye Marianne" by Leonard Cohen is also a candidate.

Also there really should be a Chris Isaac tune in there somewhere.

There is also Johnny Cash's version of "Sunday Morning Coming Down" which I think Kris Kristopherson wrote

Definetly-hands down- its Cats in the Cradle. If anyone here has a son, that will surely bring you down.

Also, I cant believe no one has mentioned this all time downer. It brings tears to my eyes nearly every time I hear it

"Taps" PLayed on a lone Bugle at Arlington National Cemetery (where I last heard it played) I dare you to not get chocked up then, Hah!

Chris Buckley's Hallelujah comes to mind. It is his cover of Leonard Cohen.

Which makes me think "Goodbye Marianne" by Leonard Cohen is also a candidate.

Also there really should be a Chris Isaac tune in there somewhere.

There is also Johnny Cash's version of "Sunday Morning Coming Down" which I think Kris Kristopherson wrote

873449[/snapback]

talking about Johnny Cash what about his entire last album? This is a pure beauty but don't ever listen it if you're depressed! The first time i 've listened it i actually cried.

"the river" by the Boss as proposed by someone earlier is a sad song but like most Springsteen's songs there's some hope somewhere...

Hurt, the Johnny Cash version, it just seems more painful

"Brick" Ben Folds Five, come on the song is about abortion, and how his girlfriend wanted to have it done and he didn't...thats sad.

while I am at it, "smoke" by BFF too

simon and garfunkel's beloved little sparrow (not really sure if that is the name) but the song is about rejection until he dies.

goodnight Saigon by Billy joel

"Goobye my lover" is a hard one to listen to for me, every now and then I hear it on the radio, and I have to turn...just went through a divorce.

agree with that christmas shoe song, I hate that song, but hear every year.

LDN is a happy song? the song is about scenes on the street, including an old lady being assulted.

This song by Brian Eno has a haunting, meloncholy feel to it.

873174[/snapback]

that's a great one. To me a few of the saddest songs in the world have got to be on Neil Young's Tonight's the Night. Nick Drake's "Black-Eyed Dog" is up there, too, and who could forget Dylan: "Simple Twist of Fate"?

But my choice: Lou Reed's "Street Hassle." It's the flip-side of the euphoria on "Heroin."

Skeeter Davis-End of the World.

James Taylor=Fire and Rain

Gloria Estefan=Anything for you

Bonnie Raitt-Can't make you love me if you won't

Johnny Cash-I Don't like it, but I guess things happen that way.

Pavorotti-Nessun Dorma

Edith Piaff- Je me Souviens

Barenakedladies-What a good boy

DANNY BOY!!

talking about Johnny Cash what about his entire last album? This is a pure beauty but don't ever listen it if you're depressed!  The first time i 've listened it i actually cried.

873814[/snapback]

i agree. I really liked his cover of Depeche mode's "Personal Jesus" of that CD but the video for hurt was so depressing as it was released right about the time he died.

RIP Man in Black

I'm sorry but the saddest song in the entire world is that "Dear Mr. Jesus" song that little girl sings that they always seem to put on this time of year.....

It makes me cry EVERY fricken time I hear it

873207[/snapback]

I do well with with that song until the lyric "Mr Jesus please tell me what to do and please don't tell my daddy that my mommy hits me too" then I just lose it.

In terms of the song that came to my mind was "After the Gold Rush" by Neil Young ironically because of a comedic movie (Shallow Hal).

What, no Terry Jacks, Season In the Sun

Harry Chapin's Cat's in the Cradle

That silly christmas song about shoes?

873001[/snapback]

Holy crap, the exact three songs I was thinking of. Seasons in the Sun, about the loss of a daughter wasn't it? The Christmas song about new shoes for Mommy was just on over the weekend and that still brings tears to my eyes....

Chapin....What an insightful artist. He's been seriously missed............

i agree. I really liked his cover of Depeche mode's "Personal Jesus" of that CD but the video for hurt was so depressing as it was released right about the time he died.

RIP Man in Black

874504[/snapback]

WOW---that last Johnny Cash album is tough to take.

You have to love the guy.

RIPx2 Man in Black