This is irking me

Rubes

Sorry if this was already posted, but somebody isn't doing their fact-checking.

The last time we blanked the Dolphins was in 1987, but the final wasn't 29-0, it was 27-0.

I was at that game, and it was awesome. We jumped out to a 21-0 lead at halftime, and added a couple of field goals in the second half to finish them off. It was a monumental victory; we had finally thrashed the team that had stumped us for so long. It was a coming of age, of sorts, for the young Bills team with Kelly, Reed, Smith, Conlan, and Bennett. It was a sign of things to come.

I'm hoping for the same now.

But it looks like someone screwed up the score, and now everyone is running with it.

If this is what irks you, you should consider yourself blessed.

870679[/snapback]

True, it is not a big deal on its own, but if one considers it as part of the larger idiotification and de-historicization of American society (related to the language usage discussions we agreed on a while back), then it is rather irksome. How hard can it be to check a score? Yet a professional author did not bother to do some simple research.

I was at that game too in 1987... Sat right againt the wall (first row) in the corner of the endzone... Actually, a pic of that section made the news... The pic was huge, with our row jumping up after a Bills score...

The sad part? I was cut off by ONE FREAKING PERSON... You could see part of my red anorak... :unsure::lol:

It still haunts me to this day... Then again, seeing my swelt 19 year old arse would have still haunted me this very day! :lol:

True, it is not a big deal on its own, but if one considers it as part of the larger idiotification and de-historicization of American society (related to the language usage discussions we agreed on a while back), then it is rather irksome. How hard can it be to check a score? Yet a professional author did not bother to do some simple research.

870686[/snapback]

BingO!

Maybe it was a typo that slipped by proof... 27 is close to 29 and can be easily overlooked??

Hard to picture how or why a team would score 29 points if the opponent has a goose egg hanging on their side of the scoreboard... :unsure:

870765[/snapback]

Exactly... I am trying to visualize that game almost 20 years ago... I think it was 21-0 at one point then the two FG'S???

Math wouldn't make sense at 27 (for a safety in the game)... But, for some reason I recall Marino being sacked NEAR the endzone and thinking saftey, I know there was no safety in the game... Yet... There had to be a real close call for Marino... Because my mind keeps flashing back to a possible safety... I remember jumping up (being in that endzone) and thinking the Bills got him in the EZ...

???

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Exactly... I am trying to visualize that game almost 20 years ago... I think it was 21-0 at one point then the two FG'S???

Math wouldn't make sense at 27... But, for some reason I recall Marino being sacked in the endzone and thinking saftey, I know there was no safety in the game... Yet... There had to be a real close call for Marino... Because my mind keeps flashing back to a possible safety... I remember jumping up (being in that endzone) and thinking the Bills got him in the EZ...

???

870781[/snapback]

Read my post, man...it was 21-0 at the half (Reed had an awesome over the shoulder catch for a TD in the corner of the end zone right before the half)...then Norwood added two figgies in the second half = 27-0. No safety in that game.

What is irksome, as pointed out, is that someone didn't do their homework...and then nearly every other publication saw it and just used it without checking it out themselves.

I was there too, and for me the best part was Dandy Dan being yanked and big old Don Strock finishing the game. AHAHAHAHAHAHA That was a great freaking day. :unsure:

And yes, it was 27-0.

Edited by duey

Read my post, man...it was 21-0 at the half (Reed had an awesome over the shoulder catch for a TD in the corner of the end zone right before the half)...then Norwood added two figgies in the second half = 27-0. No safety in that game.

What is irksome, as pointed out, is that someone didn't do their homework...and then nearly every other publication saw it and just used it without checking it out themselves.

870787[/snapback]

I know... Maybe my post was confusing?... Sorry... I totally agree with you and remember that game... I said that there couldn't have been a safety.

My point was I remember a very close call for the Dolphins... Maybe the writer went on his memory (which he shouldn't) and also remembers that close call and came up with 29???

Like I said... I can remember the 21-0 zip part like yesterday... And then the two kicks...

I don't know why a close call (almost safety) is sticking in my mind for that game... For some strange reason???

I am just trying to come up with a theory why the writer would say it was 29-0.

Obviously, if I remembered the 1st half and the 21-0 off the top of my head 19 years later the writer did to? I am assuming he was at the game like you and me???