Bills Rumors

bills_fan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would disagree.

we need a top notch #1 CB, but great ILBs arnt exactly as easy to find in FA.

Signing fletcher should be our #1 priority.

re-signing/finding a replacement for clements is #2.

866979[/snapback]

However hard you think it is to find an ILB in free agency, finding a comparably good CB is harder - in my mind, multiple times so.....

You sign the CB first.

JDG

Here's the list and order I put them in importance to re-signing. Of course I ranked many of the RFA and ERFA lower on the list because their easier to re-sign. Kelsay is going to be interesting, I think he's worth keeping as feel he's a better pass rusher then Hargrove and/or Denney but have a feeling we won't be able to keep him if re-sign Nate and Fletcher.

Clements, Nate CB UFA 

Fletcher-Baker, London LB UFA

Lindell, Rian PK UFA 

Kelsay, Chris DE UFA

Gandy, Mike OL UFA

Shelton, Daimon FB UFA

Davis, Andre WR UFA

Thomas, Kiwaukee CB UFA

Thomas, Anthony RB UFA   

Hargrove, Anthony DE RFA

Preston, Duke OL ERFA

Wire, Coy S UFA

Anderson, Tim DT RFA 

Williams, Shaud RB RFA 

Greer, Jabari CB RFA

867021[/snapback]

Didn't Wire just get extended? It's funny--now that he's looking good at LB..... git er done Marv!!! :oops:

It would be nice to retain Fletcher for continuity sake, and I think he may get less interest on the market than his stats and durability would indicate he should, so it could happen.

We need to remember though, that statistical production aside, he is the MLB for a horrible run defense.  I think Crowell or Spikes would be better against the run and would also look good in the passing game because you can play with your eyes in the backfield in cover 2.  If those guys are healthy.  Which makes it a dilemna.

But I don't see this as a situation like when they let Pat Williams go in *hope* that Ron Edwards could handle the position.  Crowell or Spikes could and would both be at least good, and both are under contract, which is important because the Bills have A LOT of free agents(and needs) and the signing bonus money is going to get out of hand.  Clements should be retained first, his presence gives us a player who can be matched up against the opponents best WR, something that we will miss terribly if he leaves.  He would be missed A LOT more than Fletcher, and Clements durability is even more important than Fletcher's because our #2 CB is Terrence McGee and he is constantly nicked up and misses quite a bit of time.

867080[/snapback]

This post is impossible to argue with.

Here's the list and order I put them in importance to re-signing. Of course I ranked many of the RFA and ERFA lower on the list because their easier to re-sign. Kelsay is going to be interesting, I think he's worth keeping as feel he's a better pass rusher then Hargrove and/or Denney but have a feeling we won't be able to keep him if re-sign Nate and Fletcher.

Clements, Nate CB UFA 

Fletcher-Baker, London LB UFA

Lindell, Rian PK UFA 

Kelsay, Chris DE UFA

Gandy, Mike OL UFA

Shelton, Daimon FB UFA

Davis, Andre WR UFA

Thomas, Kiwaukee CB UFA

Thomas, Anthony RB UFA   

Hargrove, Anthony DE RFA

Preston, Duke OL ERFA

Wire, Coy S UFA

Anderson, Tim DT RFA 

Williams, Shaud RB RFA 

Greer, Jabari CB RFA

867021[/snapback]

i suppose if you see the Bills extend Kiwaukee Thomas before the season is over, it would be a sure sign that Nate won't be back.

JP is just now starting to come on and produce consistently and you're ready to extend his contract?  Losman has enough people on this board polishing his knob already.  He has only played the equivalent of ONE season starting -- it isn't time to lock him up for another 6 years because of a couple of good games.

867051[/snapback]

Exactly--although he is definitely improving......People on this board can be very foolish when it comes to player e v a l.

As I predicted earlier this season when schobel was doing absolutely nothing for games on end--a complete non-factor--that he was gonna have a few decent games and take advantage of a few inexperienced O linemen and wrack up a few sacks.And now people are putting on their kneepads and worshipping him like he is this great DE force..LOL.

JP has been very good the past 3-4 games. He was lousy before. He has made progress and has earned the starting spot for next year. He could be a very good QB.Lets hope so. at the same time lets not give him a 50 million dollar contract quite yet;)

The real problem, as I see it, is that once we re-sign Tim Anderson we'll have barely enough cap room for anybody else.

867116[/snapback]

Coy Wire is the one i worry about. He has been the one constant on this team the last few years and if he leaves this defense will take a considerable turn for the worse...mark my words.

Can a team still re-negotiate contracts for this year? If they can, they still have at least 8 million left over. I'd re-negotiate Lindell's contract for this year, give him about 6 million, as if it were a bonus, and then extend his contract 3-4 more years.

867106[/snapback]

That is what Philly used to do. Make use of the remaining cap from this year to re-sign some of the players to get one more year for the SB amortization.

Can a team still re-negotiate contracts for this year? If they can, they still have at least 8 million left over. I'd re-negotiate Lindell's contract for this year, give him about 6 million, as if it were a bonus, and then extend his contract 3-4 more years.

867106[/snapback]

Yeah, Lindell is a must. Not easy to get top flight kickers.

re-sign fletcher. immediately. before his agent gets way too involved in negotiations with his other clients, and too focused on fletcher's...sweep something under the rug, and sign the guy that has lead us in tackles for x number of years, never stirred a problem once in his career, became an ordained minister in his off-time, and wants to be here and see the Bills win...let him go, and this team will simply continue to amaze me....this guy plays hard, well, and is class....while still having a ton in the tank...cut Spikes, bye, bye, Nate (although I want his talent to remain), and let's move on with those two....London stays.

See: Sam Cowart.

Hey man, I love the both of them as well. As much as you do. But if I am going to hear sh_t all the time about how this is "a business," a la Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield...etc, then we as fans need to look at being fans as a business. Why let the general managment "one up" us? I say, "hell no!!!!" Stand up for what you believe is the right move and stick by it.

With sorrow in my heart, and my hat in my hands, I apologize, but Takeo Spikes should be cut following this season.

Cap room. Youth movement. He has barely played in the past 2 seasons...shall I continue....get him out, and lets start building a winner around here....

Bills 4 liiiiife!

i suppose if you see the Bills extend Kiwaukee Thomas before the season is over, it would be a sure sign that Nate won't be back.

867132[/snapback]

Thomas has played quite well as the nickel back, and he probably won't be very expensive. I would definitely like to see him back, and I'm guessing we'll sign him.

I don't know if or how it would affect Nate's situation, though.

With McGee, Thomas, Youboty, and Greer, we have four good, young corners...but nobody who is really a standout. They would make a fairly good starting pair + nickel + dime combination, but Clements is really so much better than any one of those guys it's hard for me to imagine not keeping him.

See: Sam Cowart.

Hey man, I love the both of them as well. As much as you do. But if I am going to hear sh_t all the time about how this is "a business," a la Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield...etc, then we as fans need to look at being fans as a business. Why let the general managment "one up" us? I say, "hell no!!!!" Stand up for what you believe is the right move and stick by it.

With sorrow in my heart, and my hat in my hands, I apologize, but Takeo Spikes should be cut following this season.

Cap room. Youth movement. He has barely played in the past 2 seasons...shall I continue....get him out, and lets start building a winner around here....

Bills 4 liiiiife!

867446[/snapback]

My problem is not to do with 'the business' at all....it is that you are being too hasty in your assessment of Spikes. You may be correct that he emulates what happened to Cowart....but many a LB has come back from the injury he had....usually showing sub performance the following year & back to full strength the next.

The last two weeks have surely made you question your assessment....Spikes has been performing at a much higher level than previous this season. It would be a devastating loss to cut him only to have him perform at pro bowl levels elsewhere.

1. Fletcher has been the heart and soul of this defense.

867053[/snapback]

AND IT IS A CRAPPY DEFENSE!

honestly, this "man of the year" crap is really realy nice, but i am sick of seeing our mlb knocked 3 yards backward time and time again on dive plays. there was a play in the 2nd quarter of the jets game where helooked like a superball bouncing off the frikkin pile.

good grief marv, i know london's a great guy and all, but let's not break the bank for him...HE'S NOT THAT GOOD!

AND IT IS A CRAPPY DEFENSE!

honestly, this "man of the year" crap is really realy nice, but i am sick of seeing our mlb knocked 3 yards backward time and time again on dive plays.  there was a play in the 2nd quarter of the jets game where helooked like a superball bouncing off the frikkin pile. 

good grief marv, i know london's a great guy and all, but let's not break the bank for him...HE'S NOT THAT GOOD!

867468[/snapback]

If we don't break the bank can we bring him back? :ph34r:

YES. because if we use the cap space to improve the other positions, especially in the interior DL, then he's ok as a fly-all-over-hell tackle machine. but i see people here talking about him like he's dick butkus, which is a joke. i mean, HONESTLY, when have the bills had a really stout rush defense when he was here? the only time they LOOKED like they might be threatening to turn good, the steelers humiliated them with their scrubs 2 years ago.

so yeah, let's re-sign london for what he's worth, but let's not do anything stupid. i have sen people calling for marv to franchise him, which is laughable.