"we will stop the run with numbers"

dave mcbride

Not sure if the ESPN.com article from a couple weeks ago blasting the Redskins and GW was ever discussed here. From the article:

So that takes us to now, takes us to a Gregg Williams defense that is ranked last -- last! -- in the NFC. Opposing quarterbacks have a collective 103 passer rating against them, and on third downs, the Redskins give up a first down 43.5 percent of the time. They can't get off the field, and now it's the offensive coaches who have to be wondering if Williams is "high school."

Daniel Snyder isn't one to be patient with a struggling team.The problem, according to a notable Redskins player, is a scheme, a staff and a play-calling regimen that is flawed and predictable, and a sense that Williams is on too much of a power trip to adjust.

"Why are we the 30th defense in the league? I think coaches got arrogant, I think Gregg got arrogant," the player said Tuesday, asking not to be identified. "They thought they figured it all out. They thought, 'We can win with scheme, we don't need players.' Don't be mistaken, this is a player-driven game, and so you need players. Any time in life when somebody thinks they've got it all figured out, it's going to come and get you. It's going to come and get you … the sentiment is a lot of guys are mad because the coaches think it's all about them. They think they're f------ geniuses, thinking they can just let guys go and get away with handling people badly."

Guys are saying teams have figured Gregg out, his M.O.," the Redskins defender said. "They know he's going to play the run with Cover 2. They know he's going to come and blitz [leaving corners on an island] on third down, and none of our blitzes are getting there anymore. We're trying to get too cute, we're trying to reinvent the wheel, instead of understanding what wins football games.

"Gregg Williams, I don't understand. They're so arrogant around here, they think they can stop the run in Cover 2. When it's an obvious running down, he calls Cover 2. That's a seven-man front. They're going to get 4 yards a carry every time. There might be some games where, hey, we're playing the crap out of the run in Cover 2. Well, that's great. Then, you call it. But when you're getting gashed Cover 2, Cover 2, and they come out in two tight ends, two running backs, and one wide receiver and we're in Cover 2. … And if we don't call Cover 2, we blitz. And you live by the blitz, you die by the blitz."

ESPN.com Redskins/GW article

To think that we got rid of Ted Cottrell to have this guy's system installed. :w00t: The Wade Phillips/Ted Cottrell system seems to be doing just fine over in San Diego.

865594[/snapback]

The Wade Phillips system is doing fine.

Ted Cottrell not so much.

"They know he's going to come and blitz [leaving corners on an island] on third down, and none of our blitzes are getting there anymore."

Remember how hard it was for our Defense to stop someone on 3rd down. Even the 2004 Defense has trouble with that.

To think that we got rid of Ted Cottrell to have this guy's system installed. :w00t: The Wade Phillips/Ted Cottrell system seems to be doing just fine over in San Diego.

865594[/snapback]

EXACTLY!!! From the minute Gregg got to Buffalo dismantling a team that barely missed the playoffs seemed to be his number one goal. He tried to implement his system even though the personnel here were not only right to be successful in that system, but the people who WERE here were right for the Ted Cottrell/Wade Phillips systems that got to a number of superbowls. He was a very bad head coach and would be awful but for the fact that Mularkey came after him and made him look a little less awful. I thought Nick Saban was a very good coach, until he hired Mularkey, and I think Joe Gibbs a great coach IN SPITE of hiring GW. In fact I was pushing for us to hire Nick Saban instead of Mularkey. Boy did we take two losers.

Minnesota is 4th in the NFL in Yards Allowed Per Game, third in turnovers forced, and are better than SD is virtually every discernible defensive stat.

865643[/snapback]

Yeah, except that Ted Cotrell is not the Defensive Coordinator in Minesota. Mike Tomlin is.

Cooincidentaly, they are running the Tampa 2 with the ideal Tampa 2 Defensive Lineman. His name is Pat Williams.

EXACTLY!!! From the minute Gregg got to Buffalo dismantling a team that barely missed the playoffs seemed to be his number one goal.  He tried to implement his system even though the personnel here were not only right to be successful in that system,

865657[/snapback]

And for that the blame falls squarely on TD. He should have brought in a coach who could use the talent available not the other way around.

EXACTLY!!! From the minute Gregg got to Buffalo dismantling a team that barely missed the playoffs seemed to be his number one goal.  He tried to implement his system even though the personnel here were not only right to be successful in that system, but the people who WERE here were right for the Ted Cottrell/Wade Phillips systems that got to a number of superbowls.  He was a very bad head coach and would be awful but for the fact that Mularkey came after him and made him look a little less awful.  I thought Nick Saban was a very good coach, until he hired Mularkey, and I think Joe Gibbs a great coach IN SPITE of hiring GW.  In fact I was pushing for us to hire Nick Saban instead of Mularkey.  Boy did we take two losers.

865657[/snapback]

In my humble opinion, Mularkey (at least the 2004 version) was Lombardi-like compared to Williams, who will go down with Joe Collier and Jim Ringo as one of the worst Bills head coaches ever.

In my humble opinion, Mularkey (at least the 2004 version) was Lombardi-like compared to Williams, who will go down with Joe Collier and Jim Ringo as one of the worst Bills head coaches ever.

866209[/snapback]

Let me make one huge distinction in your comparison, Dave. Joe Collier was one of the great defensive minds in the game, during a time when pro football was undergoing a huge offensive transition. During the time when Sid Gilman revolutionized the downfield passing game, Collier found a way to stop it. He took a bunch of NFL rejects and turned them into to a defensive juggernaut.

He taught the game and taught players how to think and react on the field. He plainly got the most out of every player on his defenses, despite their different personalities. Take Tom Day, as an example. He was as close to a TO personality as you had back in those days, and yet Joe Collier got a couple great years from the guy as a DE.

Lets not forget Tom Sestak, Mike Stratton, Butch Byrd et al. He got greatness from these guys. Harry Jacobs and George Saimes were some of the defenses most brilliant thinkers on the field. This defence exceeded expectations and did what others could not do... Shut down the opposition and stop the "long bomb." This was a great defense that would not have been without the teaching and guidance (and playcalling) of Joe Collier.

He may have failed as a head coach in his only opportunity, although we were an aging team in need of rebuilding. In Buffalo and in Denver he crafted some of the finest defenses to play the game.

Let me make one huge distinction in your comparison, Dave.  Joe Collier was one of the great defensive minds in the game, during a time when pro football was undergoing a huge offensive transition.  During the time when Sid Gilman revolutionized the downfield passing game, Collier found a way to stop it.  He took a bunch of NFL rejects and turned them into to a defensive juggernaut.

He taught the game and taught players how to think and react on the field.  He plainly got the most out of every player on his defenses, despite their different personalities.  Take Tom Day, as an example.  He was as close to a TO personality as you had back in those days, and yet Joe Collier got a couple great years from the guy as a DE.

Lets not forget Tom Sestak, Mike Stratton, Butch Byrd et al.  He got greatness from these guys.  Harry Jacobs and George Saimes were some of the defenses most brilliant thinkers on the field.  This defence exceeded expectations and did what others could not do... Shut down the opposition and stop the "long bomb." This was a great defense that would not have been without the teaching and guidance (and playcalling) of Joe Collier.

He may have failed as a head coach in his only opportunity, although we were an aging team in need of rebuilding.  In Buffalo and in Denver he crafted some of the finest defenses to play the game.

866557[/snapback]

Fair enough, and I'd add that Ringo was a great offensive line coach. He just wasn't a good head coach, although talent certainly had something to do with it.

In any case, I should change Collier to Hank Bullough (another guy who had success as a DC).