i need you help

On my rugby team forum we were discussing international politiics and i was talking about the american values and how strong americans were attached to them. Then i was asked "what exactly are the american values? " the question, of course coming from one of those leftist thinking the US is the root of all evils on the Earth... so i was about to start answering him the best way i can, when i thought..."he who know american values better than some true red and blue ones! ?" ... so guys give me your definition of the American Values and i'll post them there!

On my rugby team forum we were discussing international politiics and i was talking about the american values and how strong americans were attached to them. Then i was asked "what exactly are the american values? " the question, of course coming from one of those leftist  thinking the US is the root of all evils on the Earth... so i was about to start answering him the best way i can, when i thought..."he who know american values better than some true red and blue ones! ?" ... so guys give me your definition of the American Values and i'll post them there!

865182[/snapback]

There are no "American" values. Theoretically, the only American value is to let people chose their own values within reason.

In practice...most Americans think any values not their own are invalid, and they should be allowed to make choices for others because they know better than people with "incorrect" values. It shows up everywhere from American dietary decisions (e.g. NYC banning trans-fats) to foreign policy ("You Iraqis will be a secular democracy, because we know what's best for you better than you do.") If there's any sort of "American" value, it's arrogance.

Not entirely unlike you !@#$ing frogs... :w00t:

There are no "American" values.  Theoretically, the only American value is to let people chose their own values within reason.

In practice...most Americans think any values not their own are invalid, and they should be allowed to make choices for others because they know better than people with "incorrect" values.  It shows up everywhere from American dietary decisions (e.g. NYC banning trans-fats) to foreign policy ("You Iraqis will be a secular democracy, because we know what's best for you better than you do.")  If there's any sort of "American" value, it's arrogance. 

865245[/snapback]

You hit the nail on the head there.

I was going to add that 'Hard Work and Long Hours' are American values...

But that first part now only applies to about 30% of the population. The rest are either retail, beancounters or gov't employees. The second part, tho, is more true than ever.

Great question.

It does make you think a bit, are the "core" values that this country was founded upon still in existence today.

I believe that one of America's core values is rugged individualism, and forgive my use of cliches here.

America has always been about a "can do" attitude and on relying on individual achievement. Whether it be Manifest Destiny, putting a man on the moon or exposing communism, America has relied on the individual to get it done. Anything that can be dreamed, can be done. Also, any individual, regardless of birth, could become wealthy and a national leader, through vision and hard work.

I think the above still holds true today. Someone mentioned greed. And I'll quote Gordon Geckko here...

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that 'greed' -- for lack of a better word -- is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

In a sense, he was dead on, and reflects a fundamental American core value to continually improve ourselves and our lives. Each generation takes the torch and tries to better the previous generation's accomplishments, and their respective status in life.

Still, the root cause of much of the anti-Americanism today is US foreign policy with regard to oil. The US realized in the early 70s that we needed it and couldn't live without it. Hence, most US foreign policy since then has been about oil. If we can develop a reliable alternative energy source that can be locally produced and mass marketed, you would see a radical shift in US foreign policy and in stemming the anti Americanism that is rampant at this time.

This may be a bit rambling, but I hope I've answered a bit of your question.