Dolphins had Pats audio

JoeF

I don't know where the info that it was an "inside job" came from. The Boston Globe is saying that the Phelons just used the TV audio (Brady's signals may have been intercepted).

The Dolphins' preparation included listening to TV tapes of games that picked up audio of Brady's protection calls to his linemen.

No one around here is calling it cheating. The Pats do this all the time. I think people are more surprised that they didn't figure out what was going on themselves, and change it.

The issue is not so much that the Dolphins figured out the signals, it is the way they figured them out. They didn't use good old fashioned hard work, they purchased a video tape from someone (possibly in the Patriots organization?), and cut out all the hard work for themselves.

On NFL live, Clayton, and the rest were discussing this, and all said they would classify this as cheating, except Clayton. Apparently (and I didn't know this until yesterday) the leauge drew up new rules this season, limiting who would have access to the sidelines.

Local news broadcasts are no longer allowed to have a sideline camera, shooting their own footage. These rules were put in place to prevent this sort of thing, as presumably, it has been an issue before.

If someone did sell a tape to the Dolphins, it would appear, the tape came from someone who had some sort of access to the Patriots sideline. This goes beyond hating the Patriots...I think it will become a bigger issue.

If nothing else, it gives me more reason to hate Nick Saban, the genious!

Really.

If this turns out to be all true, it goes to integrity of the game.  I don't know what remedy could be put forth. MIA forfeiting next years' #1 sounds good to me.

865281[/snapback]

WTF?

Really???

They already get video of the game... Isn't audio free for everyone to hear?

This isn't cheating... During the game they even take pictures and send it down... What happens if they could use a super-hi-tech mic to pick up audio?

IMO, it is no different than using tape or video coverage... Now they can get the sound or audio...

Big whippty do... You got super-sonic hearing, there might be a part for you in this league...

I think this is great! All teams will do it... Remember the uproar when they started using tape? This is the other extension...

Again, it is FREE to all to hear... More power to the teams.

Now if the whole offense was wired and the QB sent "silent" (to the others and D) audibles and cadence to his team via tones... Things could get interesting... The idea of a totally "silent" offense that is impervious to any crowd noise and could get that "extra jump" on surprise calls would be pushing it... Crazy, I know.

Someone asked Belicheck at his presser this morning about it, and he dismissed it.

Boston Herald

– As for the Dolphins stealing protection calls, Belichick dismissed the notion by saying that his offense doesn’t “call the protection at the line.” He amended that to say it does happen, but it’s very rare, while also saying that he thinks he or his players would know it if it were happening and no one suspected anything from Miami.

And from the Globe (Bill's take):

Belichick also touched on comments from Dolphins players that they studied Brady’s protection calls, which they felt gave them an advantage. “I stand out on that field every day, as do our defensive players – who are pretty smart players – and I don’t see it,” he said. “If I can’t pick it up and our players can’t pick it up, with what we know and the opportunity to see and work against each other, I have a hard time thinking somebody else [could].”

Seems like the Phelons either listened to the same audio you get for free, or they're lying, or the Pats are lying. So far the only one suggesting some kind of cloak and dagger "signalgate" is Clayton, and he's a freaking idiot.

WTF?

Really???

They already get video of the game... Isn't audio free for everyone to hear?

This isn't cheating... During the game they even take pictures and send it down... What happens if they could use a super-hi-tech mic to pick up audio?

IMO, it is no different than using tape or video coverage... Now they can get the sound or audio...

Big whippty do... You got super-sonic hearing, there might be a part for you in this league...

I think this is great!  All teams will do it... Remember the uproar when they started using tape?  This is the other extension...

Again, it is FREE to all to hear... More power to the teams.

Now if the whole offense was wired and the QB sent "silent" (to the others and D) audibles and cadence to his team via tones... Things could get interesting... The idea of a totally "silent" offense that is impervious to any crowd noise and could get that "extra jump" on surprise calls would be pushing it...  Crazy, I know.

865430[/snapback]

"Settle down, Ralphie"... :w00t:

Whatever the facts of the issue may be - and neither you nor I know them in their entirety - if thieving of a QB's under-center calls becomes the norm, the game (IMO) is lessened. It's not the same as a crafty baseball ancient using his real-time eyeballs picking up cues thanks to his long experience.

Why bother to watch the da*n thing in the first place if some sort of spiff technology - data mining if that's an applicable term to be used here - affects the on-field performance of the players?

If it's true, then I'm glad to hear that the Phins really aren't 21-0 better than the Pats. It would also be good to have this come to light now, right before we play them, to help get rid of any possible advantage for them.

The other thing to think about is that, when a team is on the road (vs at home), their signals for such things might be different owing to the effect of crowd noise. That shouldn't come into play next game.