Jauron...

Nostradamus

It's the difference between a guy who trys to prove he's smarter than everyone else (Mularkey) and one who really is smarter than everyone else but trys to take a backseat role. (Jauron).

Beautiful. There are two types of Ivies those who need to tell you they went there and those who need not

Got that right - he's coaching circles around Parcells tonight - don't see that too often.

862448[/snapback]

That onside kick recovery after going up 35-17 in the 3rd qtr was awesome...He thought the teacher some new stuff.

Considering that today was about the first time that I thought the Bills didn't look like one of the worst-coached teams in the entire NFL, I'm going to have to go with a "no" on this one.

862619[/snapback]

you have got to be kidding me. seriously. what's with your animus toward jauron, who seems to me the best coach they've had in a long time?

About the only knock anyone can have on Jauron is his handling of challeneges. Even yesterday, I felt he should have challenged the Price reception on the sidelines, especially considering he still had the use of all his timeouts in the second quarter. On the replay, it looked like he got both feet down, and last weeks ridiculous rule wouldn't have applied. Overall, I would give Jauron an A- for his performance this year.

Most importantly, it appears that both units have really adapted well to the new schemes, which explains the teams improvement over the course of the year. This team looks like they may be set at coach, quarterback, and maybe both offensive tackle positions. Those along with cornerback are the most important positions in football. If they resign Clements, (which they have to do) the rest of the pieces shouldn't be too hard to fill in. While he won't get COTY this year, I have a feeling he could get one next season.

you have got to be kidding me. seriously. what's with your animus toward jauron, who seems to me the best coach they've had in a long time?

863016[/snapback]

No animus whatsoever. He seems like a very nice gentleman and I wish him much success and happiness in both his career and his personal life. But with that being said, for the first 3 months of the season the Bills were a sloppy, mistake-prone, unfocused, poorly-executing, undisciplined, frequently confused penalty magnet. When you combine those traits with poor gameplanning, questionable personell decisions and some truly awful game management it's kinda hard for me to draw any other conclusion than that they are a terribly coached football team, much less heap praise on the guy primarily responsible for that mess.

He misses Mularkey.

863059[/snapback]

You obviously know as much about me as you do about football, the sum total of which could be measured with an electron microscope.

Overall, I would give Jauron an A- for his performance this year.

863034[/snapback]

The reason I would give him a A-/A/A+ is for the sole reason Mularkey lost this team last year. He has handled the QB issue of this team with the utmost care and has shut off any grumbling/mumbling from veteran players about who should QB this team. That kind of sensitivity to such a complex issue, props goes to him and only him.

He has been able to connect with this group of players and the players really want to play for him hard...something that has not happened here in years since Wade Phillips left the shores of lake Eerie.

No animus whatsoever. He seems like a very nice gentleman and I wish him much success and happiness in both his career and his personal life. But with that being said, for the first 3 months of the season the Bills were a sloppy, mistake-prone, unfocused, poorly-executing, undisciplined, frequently confused penalty magnet. When you combine those traits with poor gameplanning, questionable personell decisions and some truly awful game management it's kinda hard for me to draw any other conclusion than that they are a terribly coached football team, much less heap praise on the guy primarily responsible for that mess.

You obviously know as much about me as you do about football, the sum total of which could be measured with an electron microscope.

863097[/snapback]

Untrue. There have only been three months of the season. The last 4-6 games, the last month and a half at least, they have been a very well prepared, very disciplined, with very few penalties and mental mistakes overall. A lot of their lack of production was a guy missing a tackle when he was in position to, or a player dropping a pass or missing a throw or a block when 10 players did their jobs. You're always going to get that. But I don't think they have had a lot of penalties, especially the exasperating ones like false starts and unnecessary roughness since the bye week seven weeks ago. They play hard, they carry out the gameplan, they don't kill themselves, they don't make a ton of foolish mistakes. That's usually the sign of a well coached team.

Untrue. There have only been three months of the season. The last 4-6 games, the last month and a half at least, they have been a very well prepared, very disciplined, with very few penalties and mental mistakes overall. A lot of their lack of production was a guy missing a tackle when he was in position to, or a player dropping a pass or missing a throw or a block when 10 players did their jobs. You're always going to get that. But I don't think they have had a lot of penalties, especially the exasperating ones like false starts and unnecessary roughness since the bye week seven weeks ago. They play hard, they carry out the gameplan, they don't kill themselves, they don't make a ton of foolish mistakes. That's usually the sign of a well coached team.

863109[/snapback]

September, October and November were the first three months of the season with December now being the 4th. The Jacksonville game was the first time I remember thinking that they actually didn't look so bad this week, and that was at the tail end of November. So I'd officially like to alter my previous statement from

"for the first 3 months of the season the Bills were a sloppy, mistake-prone, unfocused, poorly-executing, undisciplined, frequently confused penalty magnet."

and change it to

"for the first 2 and 5/6 months of the season the Bills were a sloppy, mistake-prone, unfocused, poorly-executing, undisciplined, frequently confused penalty magnet." :(

This is the first Bills coaching staff in a long time that seems to have thrown away all the "we need an identity" crap and have adjusted unique, separate game plans for the teams they are up against. Key games where gameplan was a large part of the reason for success (or atleast being in a position to win) were:

The Dolphin game

The Vikings game

The Indy game

The Jacksonville game

Yesterday (took away the short routes the Jets desperately rely on)

I won't call him coach of the year, but I like what I see so far overall.

September, October and November were the first three months of the season with December now being the 4th. The Jacksonville game was the first time I remember thinking that they actually didn't look so bad this week, and that was at the tail end of November. So I'd officially like to alter my previous statement from

"for the first 3 months of the season the Bills were a sloppy, mistake-prone, unfocused, poorly-executing, undisciplined, frequently confused penalty magnet."

and change it to

"for the first 2 and 5/6 months of the season the Bills were a sloppy, mistake-prone, unfocused, poorly-executing, undisciplined, frequently confused penalty magnet."  :(

863146[/snapback]

Actually, we just finished week 14 in the NFL (including the bye weeks). Averaging 4 weeks in a month that amounts to 3 1/2 months season. We were 2-2 in the 1st 4 weeks and then had a 4 game slide to be 2-5 at the half way point (week 8) which amounts to 2 months in the season. Since the bye week we have been 4-2 with tough losses to the Colts and Bolts, two of the top teams in the AFC. 6 weeks of football amounts to 6 weeks (about a 1 1/2 months). If you took the 1st 4 weeks as a positive then the Bills have played decent football for 10 weeks over which they went 6-4 and played lousy football for 3 weeks (Chicago, New England and Detroit) and went 0-3 during that period. If you dissect these numbers then the Bills have really played sloppy mistake-ridden football for a 3 week period, during which they went 0-3. 3 weeks amount to less than 1 month.

See...how one can bring in stats to influence towards their opinion :P

I actually think "avoiding penalties" has been a major area of improvement this year. The Bills rank in the bottom third of the NFL in both offensive and defensive penalties. Not sure how it was in years past but I would venture ot bet that it was significantly worse.

"for the first 2 and 5/6 months of the season the Bills were a sloppy, mistake-prone, unfocused, poorly-executing, undisciplined, frequently confused penalty magnet."  :(

863146[/snapback]

and change it to

863146[/snapback]

The first seven games, before the bye, we were erratic and undisciplined. There is little question. Since the bye, six games, three at home and three on the road, we have had six total turnovers, one per game. And that was with four in one game (SD) and four games with zero. In those six games we are 4-2 and lost by 1 to Indy on the road and 3 to the best team in the league at home. In those six games, we have averaged a very low 4 penalties a game for a paltry 30.5 yards, and that includes 8-50 in the first game against the Pack which we won. That, in any sense, IMO, is disciplined football for the last six games. Half of the season.

863097[/snapback]

Well, it's OK for you and me to disagree about Jauron (I think he's a very, very good coach), but I will throw one thing out there that you seem to be discounting: they opened the season with a new staff and an exceptionally young team. Fletcher, Clements, Schoebel, Denny, and Tripplett were the only real vets on defense, and the only true vets starting on offense who weren't new to the team and had at least three years experience were Villarreal, Gandy, Shelton, and Reed. That combination is bound to result in mistakes early on. The sign of a good coach is being able to correct that, which he has done.

I actually think "avoiding penalties" has been a major area of improvement this year.  The Bills rank in the bottom third of the NFL in both offensive and defensive penalties.  Not sure how it was in years past but I would venture ot bet that it was significantly worse.

863180[/snapback]

The decrease in penalties correlates to the improved discipline on this team. It's been awhile since we've seen a team that has decreased their penalties. Not since Marv was coach really. Even yesterday, I was in the doubting mode. After a good special teams play, I was just waiting for the flag. At the half, I was waiting for the collapse.

Jauron has this team pretty disciplined. Their second have adjustments have been great too. Haven't been able to say that since Marv either.

See...how one can bring in stats to influence towards their opinion

I don't recall using any "stats". Unless you consider a month to be a stat. And where I grew up a month isn't a stat, it's a month. i.e. September, October and November are 3 months.

Since the bye, six games, three at home and three on the road, we have had six total turnovers, one per game. And that was with four in one game (SD) and four games with zero. In those six games we are 4-2 and lost by 1 to Indy on the road and 3 to the best team in the league at home. In those six games, we have averaged a very low 4 penalties a game for a paltry 30.5 yards, and that includes 8-50 in the first game against the Pack which we won. That, in any sense, IMO, is disciplined football for the last six games. Half of the season.

We can throw numbers around all day and night and make them dance to the tunes of our choosing. All I know that as recently as the Houston game (when they eked out a win against one of the league's worst teams) I was still having issues with the coaching as we continued to see the Bills pissing away time-outs when they still can't get plays in on time. We continued to see Losman taking deep drops 10 full games into the season when 50 people on this board recognized in the first month that we don't have the OLine to pull that off, yet the Bills staff apparently couldn't see it until Marv had to kick them in the pants. Then when it's been obvious for weeks on end that the Bills need to get the TE's involved to help their young QB, they come up with crap like TE hitches? Is there a person on this planet that believes Robert Royal is going to make a corner miss? What the hell kind of an adjustment is that?!

As for the penalty issue I haven't looked at any numbers lately because it hasn't struck me as an issue lately. But the last time I looked was probably early November or so when I was wondering where the Bills offense ranked in penalties, and sure enough they were sitting near the top of the league.

Basically imo the Jags and Jest game (I was outoftown for the SD game) were the first times that I saw a team on the field that wasn't being poorly coached in multiple facets of the game. I'm glad that we're finally seeing some improvement as the season progresses but talk of giving coach of the year awards to a guy leading a staff that spent nearly 3 months with their collective heads up their ass strikes me as nearing the heights of absurdity.

I will throw one thing out there that you seem to be discounting: they opened the season with a new staff and an exceptionally young team.

Much of the coaching ineffectiveness I'm referring to had absolutely nothing to do with personell. Simple stuff liking getting plays in on time, managing the clock, putting together sensible gameplans, etc. While I agree that they've improved over the last 3 games, all the bungling that went on prior to that is not easy to forget, nor am I convinced that it's not going to rear its ugly head again in the near future.

Cya