Bob Gainey's Daughter Presumed Dead

meazza

I don't know how I missed this thread... Such a tragedy...

Was she wearing a PFD when the "rogue" wave hit?

Don't mean to sound mean... I see and hear this (not as extreme with this situation and the wave) all the time... The victim is found dead and the PFD's are floating around with nobody in them...

They make some nice float coats and immersion suits (Mustang) out there... And if she was working, doesn't CCG and USCG reg require all workers to be wearing a "work vest"... Type V... Now they even allow Type III (coats, etc...)

This strikes me as odd... :w00t::P

I always say to people that it isn't a "life vest"... You can still die in it, but don't you want to be found right away?

Gainey's daughter might not had a chance... Yet, the PFD might have popped up... She had ZERO chance if she wasn't wearing it.

And in this situation, WTF is she doing out on to the deck during a storm, off-shore, and not wearing AT LEAST a Type I... (Mae West)... God's natural one's don't work people!!!! And I am not trying to be funny!

:doh:

Just another thought... Hypothermia would have set in fast at that location and latitude...

An immersion suit/survival suit should have been the norm...

Not saying she would have lived... But she would have had at least a few hours!

And giving the storm... Why not a Type V, inflatable PFD WITH Safety harness... AGAIN GIVEN THE WEATHER???...

I know it is a pain in the arse... But they work... Or they wouldn't be in the regs...

Again... :w00t::doh::P

Just another thought... Hypothermia would have set in fast at that location and latitude...

An immersion suit/survival suit should have been the norm...

Not saying she would have lived... But she would have had at least a few hours!

And giving the storm... Why not a Type V, inflatable PFD WITH Safety harness... AGAIN GIVEN THE WEATHER???...

I know it is a pain in the arse... But they work... Or they wouldn't be in the regs...

Again... :w00t::doh::P

864963[/snapback]

I don't know.

Anyways, it's life, RIP.

I don't know how I missed this thread... Such a tragedy...

Was she wearing a PFD when the "rogue" wave hit?

Don't mean to sound mean... I see and hear this (not as extreme with this situation and the wave) all the time... The victim is found dead and the PFD's are floating around with nobody in them...

They make some nice float coats and immersion suits (Mustang) out there...  And if she was working, doesn't CCG and USCG reg require all workers to be wearing a "work vest"... Type V... Now they even allow Type III (coats, etc...)

This strikes me as odd... :w00t:  :P

I always say to people that it isn't a "life vest"... You can still die in it, but don't you want to be found right away?

Gainey's daughter might not had a chance... Yet, the PFD might have popped up... She had ZERO chance if she wasn't wearing it.

And in this situation, WTF is she doing out on to the deck during a storm, off-shore, and not wearing AT LEAST a Type I... (Mae West)... God's natural one's don't work people!!!!  And I am not trying to be funny!

864951[/snapback]

I believe I read somewhere that she wasn't wearing any type of life vest and was not tied to the deck, something they do not require experienced workers to do. She was a volunteer on the ship and was in charge of other volunteers I believe. It could be just like some of the iron workers who don't wear the safety equipment. the only reason they don't wear them is because they feel safe without them. if they wear them, they rely too much on them and aren't as carefully as if they had the safety equipment on.

I believe I read somewhere that she wasn't wearing any type of life vest and was not tied to the deck, something they do not require experienced workers to do. She was a volunteer on the ship and was in charge of other volunteers I believe. It could be just like some of the iron workers who don't wear the safety equipment. the only reason they don't wear them is because they feel safe without them. if they wear them, they rely too much on them and aren't as carefully as if they had the safety equipment on.

865029[/snapback]

Totally "green" still:

"I think it's probably two or three that she's been on - big voyages with a tall ship, so she is experienced and a good swimmer and we're just hoping that she'll be found," Newby told CTV.

I am around water 5 days a week... Just plain foolish on her part... Now she is gone... Swept away... :doh::D:D

I see where you are coming from... Yet, I respectfully disagree... The same argument that you are making is what people used to make with seat belts...The only reason why they might not be required to wear a work vest is because it isn't on a open deck... AND VOLUNTEERS!

They might be skirting something here?... And yes, she would seem to be on a ship with life lines (ie: railing)... So yes, she might not need it legally.

All workers (note I said workers... Skirting something here with vols) on an open deck, have to be wearing a work vest (Type V)... Again, this was not the case with her... But, the weather was bad... Why not take the extra precaution? She was wearing a winter coat I presume? It is cold off the Cape... Why not wear a "float coat"... Totally not bulky... Heck I wear one made by Mustang and you could barely tell it isn't a ski jacket... Hypothermia would have done her in yes, but they would have found the body floating... Saving a ton in search money... I know this is a cold attitude... But, it is the industry I am around all the time...

Again, the quote I recall, this is her 2nd or 3rd voyage if I am right, sounds still "green" to me... Yet, I may be wrong... On top of it she was leading vols!... OMG!! :w00t::P

May God rest her sole... This was totally unavoidable and sad... I see it all the time how people and companies skirt safety, citing bullsh*t excuses... I see on a daily basis how "green" people are assigned to work with very little training... You know who pays in the end? You the taxpayer... This search had to be major to cover 2.5k square miles... What was the expense?

She wears a PFD... Dead or alive they find her with little effort.

Heck, I am even required to wear a water activated safety light attached to my coat or vest... That should have been on her legally.

Ya, I am being harsh... But, this thing happens all the time... How long do you think they search if she isn't Bob Gainey's daughter????...

Again sorry, for being cold... I just hate senseless death and a waste of my tax dollars because of laziness...

:(

Here is a good site that I order from:

Take you right to man overboard...

MOB Mods

They are dealing with vols... Think they want to spend money?

Now justify what the search cost...

Man am I getting pissed by the minute because this was a senseless death...

In my heatedness... I am not taking anything away from her death... God rest her soul and I pray for her and the Gainey family. :w00t::P

Senseless...

Right now... The USCG is lobbying to get all people not within the confines of the vessel to be wearing a PFD...

MOST states (and not sure about the CCG) REQUIRE all children under 13 to be wearing when not confined to the vessel cabin...

She had no chance without protection... The torso reflex alone (unprotected with nothing but her regular coat and clothes) would have paralyzed her whole body on contact with the cold water... A total goner with in seconds.

I almost want to puke... Hearing the quote about "being a good swimmer." :w00t::P

Sorry for being so pissed!

Hey man, I'm not disagring with you, I'm just going off of what I heard and a possible reason why she wasn't wearing any type of life vest.

As for the water, weren't they out somewhere in the southern hemisphere? They said the water was fairly warm (like 68 degrrees) and that she could survive over 2 days in the water at that temperature.

Hey man, I'm not disagring with you, I'm just going off of what I heard and a possible reason why she wasn't wearing any type of life vest.

As for the water, weren't they out somewhere in the southern hemisphere? They said the water was fairly warm (like 68 degrrees) and that she could survive over 2 days in the water at that temperature.

865234[/snapback]

I know... I am cool, AP... :)

It just makes me mad... Even madder when I see an infant and the parents just shrug... :w00t::P

You know what happens to a penny when it falls into water?... Same thing with a kid... :)

They were off Cape Cod in the Atlantic... Going towards Nova Scotia and THEN headed for the West Indies or Carribbean...

Not sure what the water temp is?... Unless they are in the Gulf Stream, probably chilly?...

Even at 68 degrees she doesn't have long... Believe it or not, I think you have to be abouve 78 or so to have a long fighting chance.

Again, the seas were rough... Foul weather and all that, from what I hear... WTF was she doing on that deck without a Type V with tether?...

It is a tall ship for chrissakes... They got to have a life line that gets installed for foul weather that they clip to?...

I wonder where this vessel was registered in?... My guess it wasn't Canada or the US?...

The point is... It is December off the Cape, if she wasn't protected she drowned almost immediately... Even faster (if that makes sense) if she was knocked out...

Even a simple Type II (near shore) or better a Type I (offshore) (she didn't look that big) would have turned her face over to breathe if she was knocked out...

Again... She may have died, but they would have found her...

Heck... With a water activated safety light or dye bag... She may have had a fighting chance!

The way she went was sad and terrible... I should only sum this up in three words...

CULTURE OF STUPIDITY