Scott Weiland talks new Velvet Revolver album

Tux of Borg

My Webpage

Scott Weiland talks new Velvet Revolver album

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Velvet Revolver singer Scott Weiland has spoken to Billboard about the band's second album, for which recording is finally getting underway after months of false starts. Although Weiland had said in several earlier interviews that the project would be a concept record, he now says he has "thrown that idea out the window," adding, "In my opinion, there are so many schlock concept albums that have come out in the past year. The ground is way too over-fertile with concept records. I prefer to write a lean and rather vicious rock 'n' roll record. I think that would be a better contribution to rock'n'roll at this moment."

There is no word on whether the album will keep its tentative title of Libertad. A mid-to-late-spring release is planned for the disc, which will follow up the group's 2004 debut, Contraband.

Velvet Revolver is working on the CD with producer Brendan O'Brien after an initial stint with Rick Rubin "did not work out," according to Weiland.

The former Stone Temple Pilots vocalist said that the band first started writing new songs about six months ago, but then "really kind of flat-lined for a while." Weiland admitted, "There was a definite loss of inspiration for a bit there...Once Brendan came on board, I guess it was kind of like a shot in the arm. It was a new energy."

Brendan O'Brien has produced or mixed records by many of the major rock bands of the last 20 years, including Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave.

Weiland has also been working on his first solo effort since 1998's 12 Bar Blues, which will come out in late 2007 or early 2008 through Softdrive Records, which the singer co-owns.

Nice! I liked what I heard of VR's first album a lot. Still gotta say that I liked STP more, but it is what it is.

I'd always been wary of collaborative efforts between members of different formerly-popular bands. It's hard to keep high expectations in check when you see all-stars line up together. But in the last few years or so, Velvet Revolver and especially Audioslave have turned out some great songs.

STP was one of my favorite bands and Weiland was one of my favorite front men. I'm soooooooo happy to hear they aren't going to do a concept album cause those always turn out to be crap

I saw VR in Toronto recently and they are a great band, they even do GnR and STP songs

Audioslave is also a great "Super group"

I saw VR in Toronto recently and they are a great band, they even do GnR and STP songs

860932[/snapback]

Hope it was better than the VR show I caught in Virginia Beach. Welland was late for the show. Meanwhile the rest of the band played a bunch of GnR and STP songs until he arrived.

When he arrived they played a couple VR songs but mostly played the same GnR and STP songs over again

Hope it was better than the VR show I caught in Virginia Beach.  Welland was late for the show.  Meanwhile the rest of the band played a bunch of GnR and STP songs until he arrived.

When he arrived they played a couple VR songs but mostly played the same GnR and STP songs over again

860966[/snapback]

Nope, when I saw them WEILAND (not Welland, thats the name of the town I live in, lol) was there and they did their entire album plus the GnR and STP stuff.

Nope, when I saw them WEILAND (not Welland, thats the name of the town I live in, lol) was there and they did their entire album plus the GnR and STP stuff.

861227[/snapback]

The VR show I saw was great too. May 2004 at the Avalon in Boston. Small show, packed crowd. "Real F'ing Rock and Roll" Possibly the coolest show I've ever been too.

861227[/snapback]

Sorry about my misspeeling there, but in my defense it was 5am friday nite/saturday morning and i had a few :thumbsup:

Sorry about my misspeeling there, but in my defense it was 5am friday nite/saturday morning and i had a few  :doh:

863517[/snapback]

Not trying to point you out, just found it strange you spelled the name of my home town by accident, it is kind of strange, unless it was a slip up in the conspiracy, and you are actually watching me right now. I'm on to you! :beer: