Brian Leonard

Frez

Drafting a fullback is stupid.  They are so cheap in free agency that it is better just to pick a veteran than waste time developing someone.

860703[/snapback]

Not necessarily. CIN drafted W. Kentucky's Jeremi Johnson as their 2nd, 4th round pick in 2003. Fine blocker...in '05, he was a contributor to the B'gals record low number of qb sacks, and was/is integral to the team's run game.

He had 3 td receptions last year - he has decent hands, but certainly those were the result of a smart qb checking down and hitting an open man.

Prior to this season's start, he was re-signed to the league's highest FB salary.

This Leonard player from Rutgers might be a valuable pickup for some team that utilizes him. A quick-hitting, good-hands FB can be very useful.

Drafting a fullback is stupid. They are so cheap in free agency that it is better just to pick a veteran than waste time developing someone.

I'm not seeing much on the 2007 Free Agent list.

Ahman Green, UFA, Green Bay Packers

Injuries and protecting the ball have been Green’s Achilles’ heel.

Michael Turner, RFA, San Diego Chargers

He gets a handful of carries behind Ladainian Tomlinson and has maximized those carries, averaging six yards per carry in his short career.

Chris Brown, UFA, Tennessee Titans

Ladell Betts UFA Washington Redskins

In filling in for an injured Clinton Portis at times this season, Betts has shown flashes of solid talent.

Other Free Agent Running Backs

Correll Buckhalter, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles

Najeh Davenport, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Nick Goings, UFA, Carolina Panthers

Maurice Hicks, RFA, San Francisco 49ers

Patrick Pass, UFA, New England Patriots

Artose Pinner, RFA, Detroit Lions

B.J. Sams, RFA, Baltimore Ravens

Marcel Shipp, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

Antowain Smith, UFA, Houston Texans

I'm not seeing much on the 2007 Free Agent list.

Ahman Green, UFA, Green Bay Packers

Injuries and protecting the ball have been Green’s Achilles’ heel.

Michael Turner, RFA, San Diego Chargers

He gets a handful of carries behind Ladainian Tomlinson and has maximized those carries, averaging six yards per carry in his short career.

Chris Brown, UFA, Tennessee Titans

Ladell Betts UFA Washington Redskins

In filling in for an injured Clinton Portis at times this season, Betts has shown flashes of solid talent.

Other Free Agent Running Backs

Correll Buckhalter, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles

Najeh Davenport, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Nick Goings, UFA, Carolina Panthers

Maurice Hicks, RFA, San Francisco 49ers

Patrick Pass, UFA, New England Patriots

Artose Pinner, RFA, Detroit Lions

B.J. Sams, RFA, Baltimore Ravens

Marcel Shipp, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

Antowain Smith, UFA, Houston Texans

860731[/snapback]

I'm guessing you missed Betts agreed to a five-year, $11-million contract extension with the Washington Redskins on Friday. I also truly doubt we'd go after any RFA's after giving up a 5th Rounder for Hargrove. That would leave us to choose from:

Ahman Green: I can't see him not re-signing with Green Bay unless another team throws him a big contract and the starting job.

Chris Brown: I think he's an improvement over the A-train but he might be looking for a place he can start which might lead him to NY but think it be either with the Jets or Giants.

Correll Buckhalter: Probably the second best choice bet but his oft injury status should put up warning flags and not sure how much of an improve to Anthony Thomas he would be.

Najeh Davenport: Was an UFA last year and didn't pursue not sure if this year has changed our opinions of him as he hasn't shown anything in Pittsburgh.

Nick Goings: A career backup who knows his role, though he's averaged less then 4.0 yards a carry for his career which doesn't impress me.

Patrick Pass: We pursued him a few years ago, he's been a tweener for NE for years and might be looked at if we part ties with Damon Shelton.

Marcel Shipp: Prior to last week he hadn't scored a TD in two seasons. Another career backup with a low yards per career.

Antowain Smith: I think he's actually free to sign now but doubt he'd return and let's not forget he was overaged when drafted him and now 34 so his gas tank might be empty.

Guys not on your list that I do like:

Sammy Morris: While I never felt he'd be a starting NFL RB I think he's an ideal 3rd down/change of pace back. Plus love to see #45 (or is it #33?) back in our backfield.

Kenny Watson: Every year he seems to be a free agent and every year I mention him. Although he's not getting as many touches this season he's another #33 I'd welcome to our backfield.

Kenny Watson: Every year he seems to be a free agent and every year I mention him. Although he's not getting as many touches this season he's another #33 I'd welcome to our backfield.

861266[/snapback]

Yep. He was available, and re-signed at the vet minimum with CIN.

What's not to like? Smart player, decent blocker and runner, fine hands, very good 3rd down back.

He's been returning a few kicks this year too, because of season-ending injuries to RB Chris Perry and WR/KR Tab Perry. Nothing spectacular, but sure and steady...

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235389