Buster Davis: MLB - Florida St.

Ramius

Just a first look at FSU's outstanding MLB, Buster Davis. Right now i see him being projected as a 2nd round pick, but he'll be top-15, if not higher, after its all said and done. Remember Ernie Sims from last year's draft? #9 to detroit? Buster is a better all around LB that Ernie. Definitely a guy i would like to see at our MLB spot when fletcher's days are done.

At Florida State: An All-America candidate at linebacker who enters his senior season as the team's top returning tackler and unquestionable leader of the defense...has started 24 consecutive games for the Seminoles dating back to 2004 and will again open the season as the starter in the middle of coordinator Mickey Andrews' defense...was given the defense's Leadership Award by the coaching staff at the conclusion of the 2006 spring practice after being the only senior to fully participate on defense.

Junior Year (2005): Set career-highs for tackles, tackles for loss and sacks as a member of one of the most feared linebacking corps in the nation...tied for seventh in the ACC and finished second on the team with 91 total tackles...placed fourth on the defense with 38 solo stops...career-high 10.5 tackles for loss were tops among linebackers and were good for third-best on the team behind defensive end Kamerion Wimbley (11) and All-American noseguard Brodrick Bunkley (25)...had at least one tackle for loss in nine games...recorded double-digit tackles in six different games including four of the last five...led the defense in tackles in the final four games of the season (Clemson, Florida, Virginia Tech, Penn State)....career-high 13 stops came against NC State...had sacks in back-to-back games in wins over Boston College and Syracuse...tied with safety Pat Watkins for a team-high ten tackles in the season finale Orange Bowl against Penn State.

Sophomore Year (2004): Totaled 60 tackles on the season which ranked fourth on the team...recorded 11 tackles in FSU's win over North Carolina...had at least one tackle for loss in seven games...had a big game coming off the bench at Miami with seven tackles, one tackle for loss, a QB hurry and a pass break-up...credited with four tackles and a half tackle for loss in the Gator Bowl win over West Virginia...was named the most improved linebacker in the spring.

Freshman Year (2003): Saw limited playing time as a reserve at linebacker...backed up Allen Augustin and Sam McGrew at middle linebacker...recorded five tackles (four solo) on the season while playing in seven games...recorded one tackle in games against UNC, Colorado, Duke, Notre Dame and Clemson.

2002: Redshirted along with most of his signing class.

Just noticed now that Davis was voted as an All-American at MLB...

http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/.../113006aaa.html

Senior is the first Seminole linebacker to earn the award since 1997

Nov. 30, 2006

WACO, Texas - After a stellar senior season, the accolades are starting to roll in for Florida State senior linebacker Buster Davis. The Daytona Beach, Fla., native collected his first national award on Thursday (November 30) when he was to the American Football Coaches Association All-American squad.

The award is the second of the week for Davis, coming on the heels of a First-Team All-ACC award from the Associated Press. Davis is the first Seminole to earn All-America honors from the AFCA since St. Louis Ram's first round pick Alex Barron in 2004, the first FSU defensive player since 2000 selection Jamal Reynolds at defensive end and is the first Seminole linebacker since Sam Cowart in 1997. Davis' award is the 29th won by a Florida State player and the 19th on defense.

"I'm really honored that the coaches thought that much of me to give me this award," Davis said. "It's as much of a tribute to the other guys on the defense as it is to me. I would have never been able to receive this honor if it wasn't for them. You always hope that you can be an All-American and I'm just really proud to receive this award."

Davis leads Florida State with 102 total tackles and rates fourth in the ACC and 43rd nationally with 8.50 tackles per game. He's also eighth in the conference at 0.17 fumbles forced per game and 10th with .42 sacks per game. Twice this year he was named ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week.

The AFCA has selected an All-America team since 1945 and currently selects teams in all five of its divisions. What makes these teams so special is that they are the only ones chosen exclusively by the men who know the players the best -- the coaches themselves.

"It means a lot to be honored by the coaches, there's a respect factor there," Davis added. "To them it doesn't matter how tall you are, how much you weigh or how fast you are, they are looking at how you play the game and I try to do my best to make as many plays as I can with the guys around me."

The AFCA's Division I-A All-America Selection Committee is made up of three head coaches from each of the AFCA's nine I-A districts, one of whom serves as a district chairman, along with another head coach who serves as the chairman of the selection committee. The coaches in each district are responsible for ranking the top players in their respective districts, that information, along with ballots submitted by I-A head coaches, are used to select the AFCA I-A Coaches' All-America Team.

Up next for Davis and the Seminoles is a December 27 date against UCLA in the Emerald Bowl. The game will be televised on ESPN at 8 p.m. from San Francisco's AT&T Park.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a first look at FSU's outstanding MLB, Buster Davis. Right now i see him being projected as a 2nd round pick, but he'll be top-15, if not higher, after its all said and done. Remember Ernie Sims from last year's draft? #9 to detroit? Buster is a better all around LB that Ernie. Definitely a guy i would like to see at our MLB spot when fletcher's days are done.

857930[/snapback]

Thanks for the heads-up on Davis. I'll be sure to watch.

Your other 'backer Geno Hayes is pretty ridiculous when he's healthy.

872833[/snapback]

Geno hayes played pretty good as well this season, although he was hurt for a good portion. Geno was only a sophmore i believe so he's got a couple of years left.

The drawback with geno as a LB is he weighs in at only 210. That will cut it as a safety, but no where near the size needed for a LB at the pro level.