DICK JAURON

Tcali

5-7 record with a team at this talent level=excellent job!

Only complaint is some clock management...But no reasonable person could expect any coach to do better than 5-7 with this team. Weak O and D lines along with a suddenly very average LB corps since Takeo went down and a suddenly mediocre group since Crowell went down.

Jauron has prepared this team well.

3 of the best teams in the NFL

San Diego (Lost by 3)

New England (Lost by 2)

Indianapolis (Lost by 1)

Throw in the first Jets game we could have won, a 3 point loss to detroit, and we are not all that far away from 12-2! Now, we are not a 12-2 team, but if you look at the final scores with some knowledge of the games, we played ALOT of close games.

4 of our losses came by a COMBNED score of 9 points.

Only complaint is some clock management...But no reasonable person could expect any coach to do better than 5-7 with this team. Weak O and D lines along with a suddenly very average LB corps since Takeo went down and a suddenly mediocre group since Crowell went down.

857199[/snapback]

Done an okay job, but has been lousy on the offensive side and the defense allows way too much yards and is terrible vs. the run.

Actually it is a real head scratcher all things considered how we easily could be 2-10 or 8-4....

I tend to agree for the most part. I think if a replica of the 1st NE game were to happen, a lot of the people who tenaciously defended the 4th&1 would rip him apart. The deeper you get into the season though as the pipedream of a playoff spot fades, fans always have to point the finger someplace other than the players. The fickle honeymoon period never fails.

That and a couple different breaks and the team is 7-5.

857201[/snapback]

tho Bills not worthy of 7-5 record. Problem is that a record being better than the team actually is could lead to a big letdown the next year when a BETTER Bills team could have a worse record

857199[/snapback]

I was very much against his hiring, but he's done a remarkable job, shorthanded on talent, IMO. That said, I put an asterisk next to his work because it hasn't so much been a case of being brilliant coaching as much as it has been winning by playing ultra conservative football and getting a few breaks at the end. When they tried to open it up earlier in the season against Chicago and NE(in Buffalo) they got destroyed and outcoached.

I think he's proven his great year in Chicago wasn't a fluke, he can play conservative football with the best of them. He even out-conservatived Marty yesterday and almost stole a win. What he has to prove is that he can adapt to his personnel and improve with them as THEY get better. Marty failed at that so many times, and it's really taken an embarrassment of riches and years of humiliating playoff losses to ballsier coaches than he to force him to embrace playing to win(or so it seems).

Jauron didn't get better in Chicago, and playing to keep the score close works both ways, it puts you in position to win AND to lose. That's fine when expectations are low, like this year, but if they are 6-6 at this point next year, we won't be talking about how they've improved by a game, we'll be calling for his head. Just as we were when Mularkey proved he was a one trick pony who couldn't adapt to a more conservative style when he had a less proficient offense and less stout defense.

Jauron didn't get better in Chicago, and playing to keep the score close works both ways, it puts you in position to win AND to lose.  That's fine when expectations are low, like this year, but if they are 6-6 at this point next year, we won't be talking about how they've improved by a game, we'll be calling for his head.  Just as we were when Mularkey proved he was a one trick pony who couldn't adapt to a more conservative style when he had a less proficient offense and less stout defense.

857240[/snapback]

Very good points, and it could be that he's not the guy for this team 2 or 3 years down the line when (if?) we have upgraded the talent. But for now I think he's worked out very well and brought some stability back to a team that was reeling. In all honesty, at this point I would accept a few years of Marty-ball if it meant that we could actually see the team in a playoff game.

tho Bills not worthy of 7-5 record. Problem is that a record being better than the team actually is could lead to a big letdown the next year when a BETTER Bills team could have a worse record

857207[/snapback]

Huh? A better team with a worse record ??

You are what your record sez you are. If you're records is good, you're good. If it stinks, you stink. Simple as that. The only stat that counts is Ws. There's no style points in football.

Look at Seattle, they're 8-4. They've won 4 games with last second field goals. They're going to the playoffs. They have a good record, they're a good team. Period. Same with the Bears, squirely wins and all. Good teams can win ugly games, like the 2 I mentioned. Bad teams, like the Bills right now, cannot or at least not enough of them.

That's what I think, anyway ... ... ... ...

I was very much against his hiring, but he's done a remarkable job, shorthanded on talent,  IMO.  That said, I put an asterisk next to his work because it hasn't so much been a case of being brilliant coaching as much as it has been winning by playing ultra conservative football and getting a few breaks at the end.  When they tried to open it up earlier in the season against Chicago and NE(in Buffalo) they got destroyed and outcoached.

I think he's proven his great year in Chicago wasn't a fluke, he can play conservative football with the best of them.  He even out-conservatived Marty yesterday and almost stole a win.  What he has to prove is that he can adapt to his personnel and improve with them as THEY get better.  Marty failed at that so many times, and it's really taken an embarrassment of riches and years of humiliating playoff losses to ballsier coaches than he to force him to embrace playing to win(or so it seems).

Jauron didn't get better in Chicago, and playing to keep the score close works both ways, it puts you in position to win AND to lose.  That's fine when expectations are low, like this year, but if they are 6-6 at this point next year, we won't be talking about how they've improved by a game, we'll be calling for his head.  Just as we were when Mularkey proved he was a one trick pony who couldn't adapt to a more conservative style when he had a less proficient offense and less stout defense.

857240[/snapback]

As usual, an excellent post. That said, Jauron really did run into the perfect storm after his 13-3 season -- losing something like half his starting lineup in 2002 (including his QB) and playing all of 03 on the road in another injury riddled season. He finished second in coach of the year in 03, btw -- he started out 2-6, and went 5-3 the rest of the way with a bunch of second stringers and castoffs in Champaign-Urbana.

857207[/snapback]

Maybe the most moronic post I've ever read. This is along the lines of "winning hurts the franchise." So !@#$ it. With this logic we shouldn't even accept a playoff berth unless we're talented enough to win the Super Bowl, because if we make the playoffs and don't win it will cause next years team to perform worse???? OR something like that???? :doh: Retarded.

857199[/snapback]

That's what I was trying to say. The only problem I have with Jauron is clock management. Other than that, I'm pleased with what he's doing. Good job Jauron! :doh:

857199[/snapback]

Three times he has refused to try for a FG at the end of the 1st halves. What's up with that? Not good coaching, that's for sure.

It's funny, this past Sunday he didn't want to try it with 4 mins left. He changed his mind when only had 30 secs left tho. :doh:

Three times he has refused to try for a FG at the end of the 1st halves.  What's up with that?  Not good coaching, that's for sure. 

It's funny, this past Sunday he didn't want to try it with 4 mins left.  He changed his mind when only had 30 secs left tho.  :D

857586[/snapback]

Sometimes you cannot win no matter what you do. For instance, what if the field goal was miss and SD took advantage of thier good fortune of awesome field postion by scoring. These same people would be calling for his head for going for it.

There is a lot of difference between having 30 seconds to move the ball into scoring position and 4 minutes. :lol:

Huh?  A better team with a worse record ??

You are what your record sez you are.  If you're records is good, you're good.  If it stinks, you stink.  Simple as that.  The only stat that counts is Ws.  There's no style points in football.

Look at Seattle, they're 8-4.  They've won 4 games with last second field goals.  They're going to the playoffs.  They have a good record, they're a good team. Period. Same with the Bears, squirely wins and all.  Good teams can win ugly games, like the 2 I mentioned.  Bad teams, like the Bills right now, cannot or at least not enough of them.

That's what I think, anyway ... ... ... ...

857298[/snapback]

Revisit the 2004-2005 Steelers. 15-1 in 2004, but Super Bowl champs as a wildcard in 2005. Which team was "better"?

Maybe the most moronic post I've ever read. This is along the lines of "winning hurts the franchise." So !@#$ it. With this logic we shouldn't even accept a playoff berth unless we're talented enough to win the Super Bowl, because if we make the playoffs and don't win it will cause next years team to perform worse???? OR something like that????  :D Retarded.

857417[/snapback]

I believe the Chicago Bears had a really good record sveral years back where they were squeaking out evry game.Im just saying that it can set up false expectations for the following year.

PS--grow up and stop with the name calling

Doing a very good job. Agree with most of the critics however as to how he handles the clock. Some decisions are puzzling. Maybe as he gets more coaching experience he will improve (only joking!) I think he will have a good solid team by next year and we will be going to the playoffs.

Revisit the 2004-2005 Steelers. 15-1 in 2004, but Super Bowl champs as a wildcard in 2005. Which team was "better"?

857968[/snapback]

OK, you got me on that one. But, once you get to the playoffs it starts all over. So, obviously the 2005 team was better. The team that wins the Super Bowl is the best team by definition.

i was totally against the hiring of dick jauron as well.i really wanted a"jimmy johnson " big name type coach to come here.i do have to say that even though we don't have a winning record i feel the team is starting to jell as a team and i think two or three seasons from now we could be one of those teams that are expected to be in the playoffs every season.my only gripe at first was i would of loved to have a coach go back to the 3-4 defense.i guess we drafted alot of players for the cover-two and in a few years from now we will have it mastered,but i feel the cover-two was designed to stop a west coast type offense and i feel the 3-4 stops the running game much better.with that said if that is the only gripe i have with jauron,then he is doing ok.i imagine perry will be even better next season as our defensive coordinator.go bills!

3 of the best teams in the NFL

San Diego (Lost by 3)

New England (Lost by 2)

Indianapolis (Lost by 1)

Throw in the first Jets game we could have won, a 3 point loss to detroit, and we are not all that far away from 12-2!  Now, we are not a 12-2 team, but if you look at the final scores with some knowledge of the games, we played ALOT of close games.

4 of our losses came by a COMBNED score of 9 points.

857204[/snapback]

I Think if you put todays offense, the one we currently see on the field, that is a little more opened up and has the ability to score points, we win half of those games we lost.