Poorly coached game IMO

tornado681

Ive read a few people on this board posting that Jauron and Co. coached a good game yesterday. I disagree.

One play that stands out in my mind.

on 3rd and 3 we did a little dump off to mcgahee and it looked like he was going to get the first down no problem. Someone on SD made a tackle as Mcgahee was trying to be cute. We were left with 4th and a couple of inches to go. Go for it. Are you kidding me? SD is an explosive team who is going to score points. Our D isnt going to stop them everytime they have the ball.

I like to look at it this way. If you cant get a few inches in one play you dont deserve to win the game. Jauron, of course, had sand in his mangina and decided to kick the ball away. Plus Moorman wasnt kicking the ball great either. Go for it and get a first down. You dont get it, you dont deserve to win the game anyways. I gaurantee that if we had Belichick as our coach, that would be a no brainer decision for him. We played "not to lose" instead of "playing to win". When you do that, the results are ugly. Other examples include when we ran it 3 straight times when we were pinned in our own end in the last 2 minutes of the game. The other more obvious plays include burning 2 T.O.'s on a play that clearly wasnt going our way...I have seen a bunch of people comment on this already so Im not gonna say anything else on that.

Yeah I wished he would have gone for it too. In his defense though, if we got the first down, we had a better shot at winning, if we didn't, they probably score and the game is over. By kicking away we gave ourself a chance to win the game later, instead of trying to win or lose right there.

the one thing they did that pissed me off yesterday has gone unmentioned from what I can see...

the bills got the ball back in the shadow of their own goal posts after stopping the chargers late in the first half. there was 2:45 on the clock. instead of trying to mount a drive with some short passes, no huddle type stuff, jauron and/or fairchild decide to run the ball up the middle 3 times with willis in an apparent attempt to kill time. all they managed to do was get stuffed, and 1:40 later, they are in punt formation. i thought RIGHT THEN, "here comes a San Diego touchdonw." 30 seconds later, it's 17-0.

what the :blush: was up with that? i thought we were letting losman play his position now?

as absurd as some of the officiating was yesterday, to me, that series of plays was what killed us. i was pissed at jauron for not showing the confidence in his offense to at leat TRY to mount a drive, and we wound up getting burned for it.

i wish sullivan or somebody would call the coaching staff out for that...it was WEAK.

That 3 run thing I could understand the first two, but the last one was flustering.

I look at it as we're not doing draw plays on 3rd and 18 anymore, we're doing screens to Anthony Thomas :D

856807[/snapback]

boy, i couldn't understand it! we're siting there 2 minutes before the half with literally 1 net yard rushing... and now all of a sudden we're going to run the clock out by ramming it up the middle?! it was idiotic, ESPECIALLY given the conditions for punting. after moorman punted it 32 yards, they might as well have put the 7 points up on the board right then. :blush:

Yeah I wished he would have gone for it too.  In his defense though, if we got the first down, we had a better shot at winning, if we didn't, they probably score and the game is over.  By kicking away we gave ourself a chance to win the game later, instead of trying to win or lose right there.

856765[/snapback]

Exactly, just as we did against the Texans...We punted and got the ball back and scored the winning TD....Considering the talent we have on this team, the coaches have to be ultra conservative to get this team moving up.

On the official gameday tread, I pointed out before the 2 minute warning once I saw the big formation with 2 RB 2 TE set that we were going to go conservative and give the Chargers a chance to score again for I knew that power football is just not our niche, especially against a strong run defense. The thing that ticked me off the most was that AFTER the Chargers score we THEN go into shotgun and spread the field and try to play aggressive with 20 seconds left. If you don't want to risk a turnover with 2 minutes left, why try with 20 seconds?

Is this the 4th and inches from the Bills own 27 yard line you're referring to? If it is then it's not even a question, you punt the ball. The pluses don't outweigh the minuses in that situation. If you get the 1st down you're not guaranteed of points but if you get stuffed (and the way the Bills were running yesterday it was a distinct possibility) you pretty much give SD points. That is something the Bills couldn't afford to do.

If the refs say Price was pushed out of bound or actually call the PI on Reed the Bills have a real shot at winning (well, until their D comes up small again, like they always do). The Bills have a bad O and a bad D yet somehow have played both the Colts and Chargers tough. That, my friends, is all solid game planning.

I wasn't a fan of the Jauron hire to begin with but he understands this team's limitations and pretty much always has them in games at the end. There are only 2 games this year in which the Bills weren't in the game at the end. With the lack of talent this team has that's pretty miraculous.