the best coached bills team in a long time

That's this year's Bills. I've become a huge Jauron fan -- unlike a lot of coaches who work really hard to make up for their intellectual mediocrity (Gregg Williams), Jauron strikes me as legitimately smart and sane. He made the right adjustments at the bye, and the Bills are now in every game -- even against powerhouse teams -- despite bottom-of-the-barrel talent overall. The team plays hard from start to finish, which is something you couldn't say about last year's pretenders. I will be so psyched if they beat the Jets next week.

BTW, people can B word and moan about a burned timeout yesterday, but that's hardly the reason they lost, and moreover, I suspect that the Bills got jobbed on that lost TO in any case (they were clearly trying to challenge the call). The challenge on the Price catch was the right thing to do, by the way -- he would clearly have landed in bounds had he not been pushed. It was one of five truly atrocious calls that hurt the Bills, yet they were in it to the end.

That's this year's Bills. I've become a huge Jauron fan -- unlike a lot of coaches who work really hard to make up for their intellectual mediocrity (Gregg Williams), Jauron strikes me as legitimately smart and sane. He made the right adjustments at the bye, and the Bills are now in every game -- even against powerhouse teams -- despite bottom-of-the-barrel talent overall.  The team plays hard from start to finish, which is something you couldn't say about last year's pretenders. I will be so psyched if they beat the Jets next week. 

BTW, people can B word and moan about a burned timeout yesterday, but that's hardly the reason they lost, and moreover, I suspect that the Bills got jobbed on that lost TO in any case (they were clearly trying to challenge the call). The challenge on the Price catch was the right thing to do, by the way -- he would clearly have landed in bounds had he not been pushed. It was one of five truly atrocious calls that hurt the Bills, yet they were in it to the end.

856602[/snapback]

First off, I agree that this team is best coached Bills team since Wade was here. That said, I think that Jauron made some serious mistakes yesterday, although I am a fan that understands that it's easy to second guess guys and you cannot always be making the right decision. Still, there were some glaring errors.

First off, the two time-outs thing: If you want to call a time-out at that point, you simply challenge first. That way, you get the clock to stop, you get your chance to talk to your players and you have a chance to not even use that timeout if your challenge is correct. In this case, since they didn't overrule it, we would have only used one TO. That was clearly a mistake as they called a time-out and then decided to challenge. Also, I am pretty certain that you cannot challenge a forceout call, because it is a judgment call. They could only challenge the feet in bounds, and even though it's a crappy rule, the officials made the right call on that one. Not totally, of course, because it was obvious that Price was forced out. But they made the correct call on the replay. They simply couldn't award the Bills the ball even though they blew it earlier.

Secondly, he never should have just run the ball on third down late in the first half. I am not sure if that was a Fairchild call but I believe the head coach would likely be the one calling for a run. That was virtually awarding the Chargers 3 points at the end of the half. You had to at least try for the first down and they didn't. The Chargers ended up getting seven and not three. The difference in the game.

They also let gates kill them by not giving Whitner any help. I think that was a glaring mistake. Frankly, I would have put Clements on Gates one on one and let Whitner cover one of the WRs. They are almost the same size, and Whitner is fast enough to cover the Charger WRs who will not beat you. The Bills did this successfully with Winfield on Gonzalez a few years back. It's not without precedent. Gates, IMO, killed us more than LT, who you knew would get his yards and scores. Gates' TD and most of his catches were far too easy.

I also would have benched Peerless for a quarter or a half for his wimpout on Losman's first INT. That was inexcusable to not run a pattern because you don't think the ball is coming your way.

Jauron also IMO clearly blew a replay by not challenging the spot on Willis's screen pass. I think we would have easily been given the first down but we had to punt. It was a terrible spot. Granted, I usually blame the guys in the booth for that as opposed to the head coach but that was a play where it was clear on the field, as well as an important moment (punting versus a first down).

Yes I agree, Jauron has this team playing their hearts out. Its too bad this team shows every Sunday and the fans dont!

Right now Buffalo is a team other teams dont want to face.

Trust me that plane ride home yesterday for the Chargers was a long one, they were in a dog fight yesterday!

Yes I agree, Jauron has this team playing their hearts out.  Its too bad this team shows every Sunday and the fans dont!

Right now Buffalo is a team other teams dont want to face. 

Trust me that plane ride home yesterday for the Chargers was a long one, they were in a dog fight yesterday!

856640[/snapback]

I am firmly convinced that but for some untimely coaching blunders and some excruciatingly bad officiating, that game was within reach for our Bills.

Like the rest of this team, this coaching staff is learning. Next year is going to be a really interesting season with a lot of potential -- especially if we re-sign Clements.

To that effect, though, and I'd like to know if this is being coached or if it's a bad instinct from the Gray days, I don't like how much room they were giving the SD receivers yesterday. They have not done enough to earn 10 yards of respect. That said, Gates should have been doubled up on more.

First off, I agree that this team is best coached Bills team since Wade was here. That said, I think that Jauron made some serious mistakes yesterday, although I am a fan that understands that it's easy to second guess guys and you cannot always be making the right decision. Still, there were some glaring errors.

First off, the two time-outs thing: If you want to call a time-out at that point, you simply challenge first. That way, you get the clock to stop, you get your chance to talk to your players and you have a chance to not even use that timeout if your challenge is correct. In this case, since they didn't overrule it, we would have only used one TO. That was clearly a mistake as they called a time-out and then decided to challenge. Also, I am pretty certain that you cannot challenge a forceout call, because it is a judgment call. They could only challenge the feet in bounds, and even though it's a crappy rule, the officials made the right call on that one. Not totally, of course, because it was obvious that Price was forced out. But they made the correct call on the replay. They simply couldn't award the Bills the ball even though they blew it earlier.

Secondly, he never should have just run the ball on third down late in the first half. I am not sure if that was a Fairchild call but I believe the head coach would likely be the one calling for a run. That was virtually awarding the Chargers 3 points at the end of the half. You had to at least try for the first down and they didn't. The Chargers ended up getting seven and not three. The difference in the game.

They also let gates kill them by not giving Whitner any help. I think that was a glaring mistake. Frankly, I would have put Clements on Gates one on one and let Whitner cover one of the WRs. They are almost the same size, and Whitner is fast enough to cover the Charger WRs who will not beat you. The Bills did this successfully with Winfield on Gonzalez a few years back. It's not without precedent. Gates, IMO, killed us more than LT, who you knew would get his yards and scores. Gates' TD and most of his catches were far too easy.

I also would have benched Peerless for a quarter or a half for his wimpout on Losman's first INT. That was inexcusable to not run a pattern because you don't think the ball is coming your way.

Jauron also IMO clearly blew a replay by not challenging the spot on Willis's screen pass. I think we would have easily been given the first down but we had to punt. It was a terrible spot. Granted, I usually blame the guys in the booth for that as opposed to the head coach but that was a play where it was clear on the field, as well as an important moment (punting versus a first down).

856632[/snapback]

I agree that there were mistakes yesterday, but this post does raise again the issue of the horrible officiating. It seems that most of the complaints about Jauron yesterday relate to challenges, yet the real issue was the bad officiating. Without it, the issue wouldn't be raised. And it shouldn't come up -- we should expect better from the officials. You can't challenge them all, of course, particularly when there are more than five egregious ones (some of which weren't challengeable): the Price force-out, the 2 clear pass INTs (against Evans and Reed), the no-call on the offensive pass INT when McGee was very clearly tackled, the two obvious clips (one against Triplett on a 20 yard gain for LT; one on a punt that was received at about the 40 yard line), the Hargrove fumble recovery, the Losman completion to Cieslak, and -- yes -- the terrible spot with McGahee.

Re running at the end of the first half, I gotta disagree, because they did almost make it (they were 1.5 feet short).

Re Whitner on Gates, I dunno. Whitner is actually quite solid in coverage generally speaking, and it's a good cover safety's job to take away a TE. Note that it wasn't a LB on Gates. Sometimes you gotta hope that your own good player (Whitner) -- who was drafted to make up for the Bills' obvious shortcomings in covering tight ends -- comes through and makes a play. It didn't happen, but he was right on him. Gates is amazing, by the way.

You can't challenge them all, of course, particularly when there are five egregious ones (some of which weren't challengeable): the Price force-out, the 2 clear pass INTs (against Evans and Reed), the no-call on the offensive pass INT when McGee was very clearly tackled, the two obvious clips (one against Triplett on a 20 yard gain for LT; one on a punt that was received at about the 40 yard line), the Hargrove fumble recovery, and -- yes -- the terrible spot with McGahee.

856648[/snapback]

Don't forget the "in the grasp" call on Losman's first down to Cieslak. I was fuming about that one. :D:beer::nana:

First off, the two time-outs thing: If you want to call a time-out at that point, you simply challenge first. That way, you get the clock to stop, you get your chance to talk to your players and you have a chance to not even use that timeout if your challenge is correct.

856632[/snapback]

I had read elsewhere that the first timeout was because the playclock was running out, but if that's true, it doesn't help matters because we seem to have a lot of trouble getting plays in on time and either burning timeouts because of it, or getting penalized for delay of game.

We're getting better, but we're just not good enough yet to be able to add another 5 yards here or 10 yards there on our drives.

I had read elsewhere that the first timeout was because the playclock was running out, but if that's true, it doesn't help matters because we seem to have a lot of trouble getting plays in on time and either burning timeouts because of it, or getting penalized for delay of game.

We're getting better, but we're just not good enough yet to be able to add another 5 yards here or 10 yards there on our drives.

856668[/snapback]

I am really not sure where the majority of the blame for that is, but it's either Losman or Fairchild. It seems to me that Losman is waiting for the play call to come in and then has to hurry to the line. It does not seem as though he is at the line and takes forever to get the play off. And even if he does, Fairchild should be getting the plays in a second or two faster anyway in order to help his young guy out.

I like Jauron

I just think JP needs to call the majority of his own plays.........so fire the OC, seriously

and I think we need a leader on D now......since TKO has took to the shadows but I dont blame him, he needs this yr to recoop

I am really not sure where the majority of the blame for that is, but it's either Losman or Fairchild. It seems to me that Losman is waiting for the play call to come in and then has to hurry to the line. It does not seem as though he is at the line and takes forever to get the play off. And even if he does, Fairchild should be getting the plays in a second or two faster anyway in order to help his young guy out.

856671[/snapback]

Losman should just turn around and ask Hochuli for 10 more seconds....hey it worked for Rivers

My only beef with the coaches yesterday was not going for it on that 4th and 3 inches play in the first half. That could have got the momentum going and changed the course of the game at that point.

3 inches could be had by a QB sneak. See the 4th qtr. drive at the end of the game. The QB sneak got about 2 yards.

856668[/snapback]

I thought that the reason the call did not come down in time forcing the TO was that they were trying to review whether to challenge the play or not.....I think that falls on the HC....If he sees the clock ticking and that his QB does not have a play to call yet, he needs to throw that flag and take the timeout.

My only beef with the coaches yesterday was not going for it on that 4th and 3 inches play in the first half. That could have got the momentum going and changed the course of the game at that point.

3 inches could be had by a QB sneak. See the 4th qtr. drive at the end of the game. The QB sneak got about 2 yards.

856684[/snapback]

But if you go back and look at the past games we have failed miserably in converting 3rd and 1s and 4th and 1s....plus we were down 17-0....That defnitely was not the time to go for that.

The Bills probably couldn't have gotten away with having Clements on Gates because they wanted to have Whitner in the box. I agree on plays where GAtes split out that Clements would have been a better option, but to have Clements in the box instead of Whitner on plays where Gates is lining up on the line is giving the Chargers the green light to run it down our throats.

It sounds kind of stupid to say that after LT went for 185 and 2 TD's, but having seen what the Bills have done against the run this year...I actually expected worse.

Jauron has got to do a better job on that challenge. Losing 2 timeouts is absolutely inexcusable against a team that you KNOW is going to go into clock mode in the 4th quarter with Martyball. None of it matter as the Chargers scored when they were in clock mode.

The best coached team in a long time is not exactly a major achievement! Mularkey and Gregg were horrible. I think DJ is on a par with Wade, and doing a very nice job putting the team together. I thought he was a terrible choice at first, but he is gradually convincing me that he is the guy for the job. It is possible that he is a "transitional" coach and we'll need someone else to get to the Superbowl, but who knows? I grade him with a comfortable B so far and if we finish with 8 wins I'll be the first to give him an A and lable him the best coach since Marv.