Willis Travolta-McGahee

generaLee83

Antowain Smith did the same thing while he was in Buffalo. It's our friggin O-Line.

857376[/snapback]

Does the o-line play music or something? How do they make willis dance? A-train plowed ahead on his 2 carries and gained decent yardage on both attempts just by keeping his legs moving. The problem I have with the "best in the league" is that he ALWAYS goes down when the first player hits him. Its pathetic. He doesn't break tackles, and the the A-train is better for the type of run game we need. Namely one that doesn't suck on 13 out of 16 sundays

Does the o-line play music or something? How do they make willis dance? A-train plowed ahead on his 2 carries and gained decent yardage on both attempts just by keeping his legs moving. The problem I have with the "best in the league" is that he ALWAYS goes down when the first player hits him. Its pathetic. He doesn't break tackles, and the the A-train is better for the type of run game we need. Namely one that doesn't suck on 13 out of 16 sundays

857397[/snapback]

The thing is, you and DIWS are both right. Antwain and Willis are both big guys, but they are also slashing style tailbacks.

The A-Train is more of a straight ahead runner, which many here seem to prefer.

Willis is faster. I think he would truly surprise you if he had some help from the OG position. There really are guards who can hold their own against the big, strong tackles. The problem is, the Bills haven't had one on their roster since Ruben was a younger man. Imo, there is a generation of Bills fans who have never seen good OL play, and might not even know what it looks like. Sadly, I am serious. :doh:

I don't mind seeing Thomas take the field. He is a very tough guy, and is easy to like. That said, put Willis behind some kickass guards, and I think he is a 1500 yard back.

Jmo.

The problem with guys like anthony thomas and other straight ahead runners is they generally have short life spans. Put a good line in front of mcgahee and I honestly believe we have a curtis martin esque yearly 1200-1500 yard back for the next 6-8 years. I get a lot of people prefer the straight ahead style runner, but I'd rather see the multi dimensional back who can do more then gain 3 yards up the middle. Get some good guards out there and the run game would improve 10 fold.

Willis career games of 100 + yards: 111, 102, 132, 100, 116, 105, 102, 117, 143, 136, 113, 150 (Total of 12, with 4 of 125+)

Henry's career games of 100+ yards: 113, 101, 149, 159, 132, 126, 151, 144, 167, 124, 149, 113, 169, 123, 178, 107, 143 (Total of 17, with 11 of 125+ yards)

Willis also has a career average of 3.8 ypc; Henry has a 4.0 ypc. Additionally, Willis has a career long run of 41; Henry has a career long run of 70. He also broke of a 64 yarder as well. But obviously, Henry isn't explosive enough. :doh:

I don't point this out to knock Willis. But I always hated that pick. People never gave Henry enough credit and liked McGahee because he looked better in pads. Pure and simple, Henry is a better pure runner than Willis.

I think it had to do alot with Travis being a petafile

856669[/snapback]

:doh::blink:

I assuming you mean someone who sleeps with children. In no way will I defend that. However, let's not pretend these guys are saints. By a lot of accounts, another Bill was with Henry that never made it into the news. And there are a couple of current Sabres who like them young. Is it wrong? Hell yeah it is. But to condone one player when others are out doing the same thing is wrong as well.

Bills fans will always find something to B word about. We have a good RB and a horrid 0-line, D-line, injured LB's, below average 2nd and 3rd WR's, a QB who has not proven himself and a FB who seems to get worse and worse and yet you complain about our good RB. Get a life ... or atleast complain about the right things.

Willis career games of 100 + yards:  111, 102, 132, 100, 116, 105, 102, 117, 143, 136, 113, 150 (Total of 12, with 4 of 125+)

Henry's career games of 100+ yards:  113, 101, 149, 159, 132, 126, 151, 144, 167, 124, 149, 113, 169, 123, 178, 107, 143 (Total of 17, with 11 of 125+ yards)

Willis also has a career average of 3.8 ypc; Henry has a 4.0 ypc.  Additionally, Willis has a career long run of 41; Henry has a career long run of 70.  He also broke of a 64 yarder as well.  But obviously, Henry isn't explosive enough.  :doh:

I don't point this out to knock Willis.  But I always hated that pick.  People never gave Henry enough credit and liked McGahee because he looked better in pads.  Pure and simple, Henry is a better pure runner than Willis.

857475[/snapback]

2001 Buffalo Bills 13 12 213 729 3.4 25 4 2 34

2002 Buffalo Bills 16 16 325 1438 4.4 34 13 10 72

2003 Buffalo Bills 15 15 331 1356 4.1 64 10 5 76

2004 Buffalo Bills 10 5 94 326 3.5 19 0 0 17

2005 Tennessee Titans 10 1 88 335 3.8 29 0 2 11

2006 Tennessee Titans 10 9 192 849 4.4 70 5 6 34

so is Henry better then he ever been or his increase in ypc a direct result of good line play and a qb defenses fear if not for his passing ability for youngs running ability? Also....

Travis Henry- 28 career fumbles 15 lost

Willis- 6 career fumbles 3 lost.

It's one thing to look now and seeing he's doing well and say "We should've kept him" and another to ignore the reason he was dispendable in the 1st place.

Bills fans will always find something to B word about. We have a good RB and a horrid 0-line, D-line, injured LB's, below average 2nd and 3rd WR's, a QB who has not proven himself and a FB who seems to get worse and worse and yet you complain about our good RB. Get a life ... or atleast complain about the right things.

857482[/snapback]

I am officially on the side of looking out for a WM replacement. I am not biased towards running styles. I am advocating finding someone different because WM is not consistent. He seems to play well when he has competition breathing down his neck. Yes sure, competition makes everyone better but I want someone who is self motivated and gives it his all. WM looks great in a couple of games and absolutely disappears in others. I want to know that when (not if) we make out superbowl appearance, we have a back who will fight for yardage till the last whistle is blown - with NO excuses. Now that I have seen all games this season, I am not sure WM is that back.

2001 Buffalo Bills 13 12 213 729 3.4 25 4 2 34

2002 Buffalo Bills 16 16 325 1438 4.4 34 13 10 72

2003 Buffalo Bills 15 15 331 1356 4.1 64 10 5 76

2004 Buffalo Bills 10 5 94 326 3.5 19 0 0 17

2005 Tennessee Titans 10 1 88 335 3.8 29 0 2 11

2006 Tennessee Titans 10 9 192 849 4.4 70 5 6 34

so is Henry better then he ever been or his increase in ypc a direct result of good line play and a qb defenses fear if not for his passing ability for youngs running ability?  Also....

Travis Henry- 28 career fumbles 15 lost

Willis- 6 career fumbles  3 lost.

It's one thing to look now and seeing he's doing well and say "We should've kept him" and another to ignore the reason he was dispendable in the 1st place.

857487[/snapback]

I hear ya and it's a fair point. But my point was that as a pure runner, Henry is better. It wasn't a knock against Willis but wasting a first round pick on a guy with a major knee injury was just a silly risk to take (one of many TD's insane gambles). Especially when you had a running back coming off a Pro bowl season and had far greater needs at other positions.

Did Henry make some poor decisions? Without a doubt. But I never hear one fan ever question his dedication to the team or his work ethic. And whether they are true or not, people have questions about Willis' committment to Buffalo.

I was always a huge Henry fan and the Bills just basically told him :doh: you. And you're kidding yourselves if you truly believe Tennessee's oline is that much better than ours. Plus, you don't think teams are stacking the box for Young, who completing less than 50% of his passes? Face it, Henry is a very good ballplayer and people saw a shiner model and wanted to get rid of him.

Again, it's not that I don't like Willis. But the bottomline is Willis was brought in to be much better and explosive than Henry. And he hasn't. For God sakes, his career long run is 41 yards. Henry broke a 70 yarder this year. So it's time to cut the excuses and let's see this much better back in Willis. Cause right now, I'd much rather have Henry.

857482[/snapback]

Your unwaivering support for Willis is thinly disguised. Watch him closely on game days. He's not that good.

Willis career games of 100 + yards:  111, 102, 132, 100, 116, 105, 102, 117, 143, 136, 113, 150 (Total of 12, with 4 of 125+)

Henry's career games of 100+ yards:  113, 101, 149, 159, 132, 126, 151, 144, 167, 124, 149, 113, 169, 123, 178, 107, 143 (Total of 17, with 11 of 125+ yards)

Willis also has a career average of 3.8 ypc; Henry has a 4.0 ypc.  Additionally, Willis has a career long run of 41; Henry has a career long run of 70.  He also broke of a 64 yarder as well.  But obviously, Henry isn't explosive enough.  :doh:

I don't point this out to knock Willis.  But I always hated that pick.  People never gave Henry enough credit and liked McGahee because he looked better in pads.  Pure and simple, Henry is a better pure runner than Willis.

857475[/snapback]

I think that the problem with Henry was his off-field preference for girls who were well under age. That's the type of problem that has to be dealt with quickly or at least a team has to give the impression of dealing with it quickly (allowing Willis to become the eventual starter) so that the organization itself is not viewed as condoning such activity.

Now it's been a few years and the occurrence has lost it's steam in peoples minds and Henry is becoming known again for being a good runner.

I am officially on the side of looking out for a WM replacement. I am not biased towards running styles. I am advocating finding someone different because WM is not consistent. He seems to play well when he has competition breathing down his neck. Yes sure, competition makes everyone better but I want someone who is self motivated and gives it his all. WM looks great in a couple of games and absolutely disappears in others. I want to know that when (not if) we make out superbowl appearance, we have a back who will fight for yardage till the last whistle is blown - with NO excuses. Now that I have seen all games this season, I am not sure WM is that back.

857495[/snapback]

You may be right ... but there are WAYYYYYYYY more urgent needs than getting a better RB. Once we get atleast a "better" team, then we can look for a superstar RB that will make all of you happy and giddy inside.

P.S. Tomlinson has rushed for LESS than 80 yards 9/16 games last season. Tomlinson has rushed for LESS than 4 YPC average 9/16 games last season. Tomlinson has rushed for 1 TD or LESS in 11/16 games last season.

In 2004 his stats were similar to those above.

In 2003 his stats were similar to those above.

In 2002 his stats were similar to those above.

In 2001 his stats were similar to those above.

McGahee last season had 8/16 games wit LESS than 80 yards. Thats one more game than Tomlinson. McGahee had 9/16 games with a 4.0 YPC average or less. The SAME as Tomlinson ...

In fact since 2004 Tomlinson has had 23 games with 80 yards or more, while McGahee has had 18 games with 80 yards or more ... and that is with McGahee starting SEVEN less games.

Anyway. My point is not that LT isnt the best RB in the game ... because I believe he is. All I am saying is that you cant give up on someone just because they are not living up to your standards.

Your unwaivering support for Willis is thinly disguised.  Watch him closely on game days.  He's not that good.

857507[/snapback]

Give me a break. I have probably defended McGahee in less than 10 posts ever. :doh:

You may be right ... but there are WAYYYYYYYY more urgent needs than getting a better RB. Once we get atleast a "better" team, then we can look for a superstar RB that will make all of you happy and giddy inside.

857561[/snapback]

I agree that it is not a top priority. But what I am saying is that there is no harm in keeping an eye out for a good rb in rounds 2-4 if a good player is not available at a need position. Stats maybe on WM's side and perhaps he has done well in the past purely on talent (I didn't see him play in the past seasons). My gripe is against his seeming lack of effort and his penchant for taking GAMES off. Consider how many complaints we have had against him - he doesn't hit the hole hard enough, he is not good at blitz pick-ups, he dances too much, doesn't have that burst.....

I think that the problem with Henry was his off-field preference for girls who were well under age.  That's the type of problem that has to be dealt with quickly or at least a team has to give the impression of dealing with it quickly (allowing Willis to become the eventual starter) so that the organization itself is not viewed as condoning such activity.

Now it's been a few years and the occurrence has lost it's steam in peoples minds and Henry is becoming known again for being a good runner.

857556[/snapback]

I'm aware of one incident with underage girls. I believe it involved 16 year olds who met him at a gas station, representing they were of age. If it only happened once, it was wrong, even if he was mistaken. Were there other incidents? I was focusing on his running with a broken leg, pro-bowl appearance and performance rather than off the field activities.