Positives and Negatives--Coaching etc.

jahnyc

1. I see many negative posts about the coaching, but the Bills played hard and were in the game until the end against a very strong team. Adjustments were made at half-time, and the overall performance of the Bills significantly improved in the second half. Yes, two timeouts are inexcusable, but I think the coaching is has been solid throughout the season.

2. Although the pass protection has improved dramatically, run blocking by the o-line is still poor. I expect much more when the Bills are playing at home. The Bills still need to upgrade the o-line in the offseason.

3. I am wondering if Whitner and Simpson have hit the wall in their first season as somethimes happens with rookies. They are not making plays. Clements looks great. As others have noted, he needs to be re-signed, even if very expensive.

4. Not to be controversial or disagree with my sense of what the majority seems to think, I thought JP had a bad game. Yes, he made some first downs with some nice scrambles, but many of his throws were poor and San Diego dropped at least three easy interceptions.

5. The Bills need a starting DT who can stuff the run. McCargo may become a good DT, but he is not this type of a player.

5.  The Bills need a starting DT who can stuff the run.  McCargo may become a good DT, but he is not this type of a player.

856005[/snapback]

What pisses me off is there's this cycle with the Bills where they find that guy, he plays great, the defense plays great, and then because he's "too fat" or whatever they get rid of him. Invariably the defense suffers the next year. Ted Washington, Sam Adams, and Pat Williams.

1.  I see many negative posts about the coaching, but the Bills played hard and were in the game until the end against a very strong team.  Adjustments were made at half-time, and the overall performance of the Bills significantly improved in the second half.  Yes, two timeouts are inexcusable, but I think the coaching is has been solid throughout the season.

2.  Although the pass protection has improved dramatically, run blocking by the o-line is still poor.  I expect much more when the Bills are playing at home.  The Bills still need to upgrade the o-line in the offseason.

3.  I am wondering if Whitner and Simpson have hit the wall in their first season as somethimes happens with rookies.  They are not making plays.  Clements looks great.  As others have noted, he needs to be re-signed, even if very expensive.

4.  Not to be controversial or disagree with my sense of what the majority seems to think, I thought JP had a bad game.  Yes, he made some first downs with some nice scrambles, but many of his throws were poor and San Diego dropped at least three easy interceptions.

5.  The Bills need a starting DT who can stuff the run.  McCargo may become a good DT, but he is not this type of a player.

856005[/snapback]

The run blocking was bad at times but you can't put McGahee's bad running on the O-Line. When A-Train ran the ball he had 11 yds on 2 carries.

Willis had 26 yds on 16 carries.

What pisses me off is there's this cycle with the Bills where they find that guy, he plays great, the defense plays great, and then because he's "too fat" or whatever they get rid of him.  Invariably the defense suffers the next year.  Ted Washington, Sam Adams, and Pat Williams.

856021[/snapback]

Our D is doing better without Sam Adams

Our D is doing better without Sam Adams

856029[/snapback]

Believe what you want, but I get tired of the whole notion of not needing overweight DTs and then watching the defense get run over because nobody in there can keep their ass in place.

4.  Not to be controversial or disagree with my sense of what the majority seems to think, I thought JP had a bad game.  Yes, he made some first downs with some nice scrambles, but many of his throws were poor and San Diego dropped at least three easy interceptions.

i agree that jp didn't have a perfect game, but considering how terrible our run game was today, you have to tip your hat to the guy. Mcgahee is non-existant and JP still finds a way to lead the team to 3 TD drives drives. i liked his game.

The run blocking was bad at times but you can't put McGahee's bad running on the O-Line. When A-Train ran the ball he had 11 yds on 2 carries.

Willis had 26 yds on 16 carries.

856026[/snapback]

Agreed. There were too many times today (as has been the case all season) where Willis just needed to run forward for a couple of yards to get a first down, but instead danced too much before trying to head North. Maybe it's unfair with LT looking like a man among boys, but Willis looked very pale in comparison.