To those who watched the game...

He was double covered a lot. If we had another receiver who could consistently come open, it would give us more options in the passing game. Lee can be the deep and intermediate threat whereas this other can be a possession receiver.

856037[/snapback]

Receivers have the step on the defense. I'm not a fan of catagories...deep, intermediate, possession and so forth.

There is always a double-covered receiver, well, mostly. But they make a play now and again through that. You are not the big gun if you can't fight the good fight against the double cover. Even if you don't get the catch, somebody else should because you sucked the defense away.

If the Bills think that Evan's speed, without him taking moves and hits over the middle makes him a top gun, and if the other wr's don't pick up that lack, you can kiss JP goodbye, or whoever the next guy is.

My recipe:

1. Can the Bill's WR coach.

2. Get Evans into the short middle game- bench him if he can't do it.

3. Start Roscoe.

Edited by stuckincincy

Receivers have the step on the defense. I'm not a fan of catagories...deep, intermediate, possession and so forth.

There is always a double-covered receiver, well, mostly. But they make a play now and again through that. You are not the big gun if you can't fight the good fight against the double cover. Even if you don't get the catch, somebody else should because you sucked the defense away.

If the Bills think that Evan's speed, without him taking moves and hits over the middle makes him a top gun, and if the other wr's don't pick up that lack, you can kiss JP goodbye, or whoever the next guy is.

My recipe:

2. Get Evans into the short middle game-  bench him if he can't do it.

3. Start Roscoe.

856070[/snapback]

^_^

My recipe:

2. Get Evans into the short middle game-  bench him if he can't do it.

3. Start Roscoe.

856070[/snapback]

You say you haven't seen any Bills games this year? Maybe that's why you have no idea what you are talking about. Why haven't you watched any games?

I see.  But isn't he to be included in that?

I'm starting to feel that Evans is just a speed merchant, and not progressing into a complete receiver...

855951[/snapback]

Evans was covered well but the playcalling shut him down today. It wasn't until he was put into the slot that he started making plays (about damn time to put him in the slot).

Evans is a prime #1 WR in this NFL, he has excellent hands, great route running ability and breakaway speed.

Buffalo's entire offense is a step below mediocre, slowly it's finding it's identity and when it does I expect Lee to easily be a top 5 receiver, look for 1500 yard seasons with 10 TD's year in and year out. He's a keeper.

You say you haven't seen any Bills games this year? Maybe that's why you have no idea what you are talking about. Why haven't you watched any games?

856297[/snapback]

Perhaps because he lives in Cincinnatti and The Bills haven't been on any Nationally televised games? :D

As to the Receivers Coach, that would be Tyke Tolbert

Here's his Curriculum Vitae:

Under Tolbert's tutelage, Cardinals rookie receiver Anquan Boldin earned Offensive Rookie of the Year honors in 2003 and was the only rookie to make the Pro Bowl…Tolbert guided Boldin to an NFL rookie reception mark with 101 catches for 1,377 yards

• prior to his stint as receivers coach for the Cardinals, Tolbert was the tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator for the University of Florida (2002)

• was the wide receivers/recruiting coordinator at Louisiana-Lafayette (1999-01)

• coached tight ends at Auburn (1998) and at Louisiana-Monroe (1995-97)

• first broke into the NFL coaching ranks through the NFL's Minority Internship Program when he worked with the Detroit Lions during the summer of 1997 and the Arizona Cardinals in 2001

• worked with the wide receivers at Ohio University (spring 1995)

• started as a graduate assistant at Louisiana State in the spring of 1994 and then again at Louisiana-Monroe in the fall of 1994.

It's the track record of a slowly improving coach, but it's not terribly impressive. I think The Bills could do better, but if Marv holds true to form he'll keep the guy until he posts out for another job someplace.

There is always a double-covered receiver, well, mostly.

856070[/snapback]

I choose to disagree. The point of having different types of players who are good at their position is to keep the opposing D off balance. Right now, in a tough situation, the opponent pretty much knows that JP will be looking for Evans as he is the only one consistently making clutch catches. PP and Royal make them occasionally so the opponents gamble which has been working well so far. We really have one real threat - Evans and maybe JP with the two scrambles for first down yesterday. How difficult is it to defend against these limited options ? Evans has done very well considering the attention he receives and I am confident he will shine even more when we have a good #2 WR and a semblance of a running game (WM just doesn't seem to have a will to play - I believe he will not be a Bill next year).

Evans was covered by Quentin Jammer all afternoon, and Jammer happens to be one of the best cover corners in the AFC.

855950[/snapback]

....when he's not being penalized for interference/holding or getting beat deep, that is.

To his credit though, he has improved vastly this year compared to his first few years, where he was considered a bust for a time (BTW, he was drafted right after we took Big Mike Williams).

I'm one of those who is pretty happy with our wider receiver corps, and I'm getting more and more impressed with our tight ends the last part of the season. I think JP (and Fairchild, I suppose) like using all receivers. JP sure does mix it up and use pretty much all of the receivers. When one guy stands out like Evans does and they put a guy like Jammer and extra coverage on him, other guys get open. I suspect Evans is just fine...just getting lots of respect from opposing teams.