$500 Million?

I was just in Tennessee and visited the home of James K. Polk. Nothing fancy at all for this pretty important president. But Bushland will be!

I guess that's one way to ensure a legacy.

Buy it.

<<Moreover, defenders of the project point out that half-a-billion dollars for the Bush Library is actually peanuts, the equivalent to just two days of the Iraq War. That's like ending the fighting June 19, 2017, rather than on the 21st.

Keep in mind that when Bill Clinton funded his Presidential library, Republicans went loony, their collective heads exploding at the exorbitant cost. That exorbitant cost was $165 million. And Bill Clinton actually owned books. The Bush Library will be $500 million. (You can never say that too many times.) To put this in perspective, you could build the Clinton Library and Madison Square Garden - and still have $135 million left over to try and find the WMDs.

Half a billion dollars for a library? Perhaps it's part of a new "No President Left Behind" program. Only this one clearly isn't un-funded.

For half a billion dollars, you don't expect just books at Libraryland, there'd better be fuzzy mascots, themed roller coasters and a laser light extravaganza.

Happily, the place already has an audio-animatronic President. It repeats, "Stay the course," all day.

According to Thomas M. DeFrank of the New York Daily News, this isn't just a library, but also an institute. The Bush Library will be hiring conservative scholars and, says a unidentified Bush insider, "give them money to write papers and books favorable to the President's policies."

And so the picture becomes clear. They're trying to burnish the President's image. Of course they need $500 million! Mind you, writing books doesn't mean anyone will read them. After all, if someone is so hugely unpopular that you need half a billion dollars to make him sound "favorable," why would you think anybody would want to spend money to buy a hardcover about the fellow?

Then again, perhaps that's another reason they need a $500 million library: to house all those books returned to the publisher. Maybe they plan to have a really big $1 bin.

"It's so much bigger than anything that's been tried before," another source acknowledged to DeFrank. "But the more you have, the more influence [on history] you can exert."

Honestly, you couldn't exert that much influence on history if you had a Time Machine and a nuclear-powered sledgehammer.>>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-j-eli...you-to-_b_35253 .html

Blah blah blah , get a new record, this one keeps skipping. :thumbdown:

At least it will be better than the double-wide trailer that Bubba built.

854588[/snapback]

Does it bother you I pick on the man you so respect? Sorry to tell you this stupid little man is a disaster. I wish Jim Webb had slugged him. How can anyone support such a coward?

Wow... That is a whole lot of money!

Just think how many aged lock and dam facilities could be rehabed on the Illinois Waterway... Or others.

When the town of Joliet, Illinois floods next... I am sure glad we will have a nice POTUS library headlined by Carle's 1969 masterpiece The Very Hungry Caterpillar, 1991's Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me ... Who needs that POS Joliet when you got the moon...:thumbsup:<_<

This stuff is pure pork... No matter how you slice it... Repub or Dem frosting...

Keep in mind that when Bill Clinton funded his Presidential library, Republicans went loony, their collective heads exploding at the exorbitant cost. That exorbitant cost was $165 million.

Let me guess the Republican response... "Well, this is different."

This stuff is pure pork... No matter how you slice it... Repub or Dem frosting...

854838[/snapback]

Actually it's not pork. Most, if not all, of the money for the presidential libraries is raised by private donations. The reason for the above stink about the Clinton library was that, being private, the donor list did not need to be disclosed. The concern being that favors are gotten in return for a promised gift to the pres. library.

And the 44th President will have a library costing more than $500M

Its all about making a name for themself and their legacy. Just like it costs hundreds of millions of dollars to get their name out so people will vote for them, it will cost hundreds of millions of dollars to get people to remember the positives from those 4 or 8 years.

Does it bother you I pick on the man you so respect? Sorry to tell you this stupid little man is a disaster. I wish Jim Webb had slugged him. How can anyone support such a coward?

854590[/snapback]

I would have loved it if Webb slugged him. Seeing him hauled off to do time in Federal prison and doing the perp walk would be the campaign poster across the Country to return the Republicans to power.

Very classy Molson...Wanting to see the President "slugged." Youre probably part of that "assasination chic" the unhinged left has taken so kildly too, as well. Youre a great Patriot.