X-Mas Debate

Puhonix

When putting lights on the X-mas tree, do you start at the top or bottom of the tree?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. When putting lights on the X-mas tree, do you start at the top or bottom of the tree?

• Bottom

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50ft lights?!?!?!  LOL dude you seriously need to hit up a walmart or something, you can gettem in 10ft kiddo

also, the bottom is closer to the outlet, turn your phuckin' tree around if its in the front, MY GOD! haha

856681[/snapback]

yes, its so easy to spin a big ass christmas tree and its base 180 degrees. start at the bottom and it alleviates any of the problems.

yes, its so easy to spin a big ass christmas tree and its base 180 degrees. start at the bottom and it alleviates any of the problems.

856799[/snapback]

We could send Lana and one of her friends over to help you out. Seriously Capn...you gotta start at the top.

856799[/snapback]

Or don't buy a tree...alleviates the problems and eliminates the argument.

I think maybe you're making this more complex than it needs to be. And it's juts pagan idolatry anyway.

Or don't buy a tree...alleviates the problems and eliminates the argument.

I think maybe you're making this more complex than it needs to be.  And it's juts pagan idolatry anyway.

856827[/snapback]

Agreed...I vote for skipping the darn thing altogether! Nice thing about getting old is going to the kids house and enjoying THEIR tree.

856799[/snapback]

Our problem was always that we got huge trees (15+) and because they were scarce, usually we had to pick one with one side that looked like dogsht. So spinning the thing around wasn't really an option.

Hence, starting at the bottom reason #43

We could send Lana and one of her friends over to help you out.  Seriously Capn...you gotta start at the top.

856825[/snapback]

Well, if Lana as involved, i'd probably start at the top and work my way down. What? :blush:

What part of "8' long, green extension cord with inline on/off switch and 4 polarized blocks of 3 outlets each... spaced at the end, 3', and 6'" don't you maroons understand?

They build these things SPECIFICALLY for Christmas trees...

They sure make things easy...

Oh... Once installed from the outlet to a big low branch and up the trunk... You of course want to start stringing from top down... :P:worthy: Heck, it doesn't even matter where you begin...

And don't worry... The extension cord won't break the budget at 10 bucks or so, it will last a life time!

:blush::D

856799[/snapback]

That is where the specialized rotating base comes in...

Unless you are backed up against a wall... Why even go around and waste the lights on the wall?... Swag back and forth when you get to the wall.

Anyway, I usually create heavier type lights at the top... White, another strand or two contains holly with red round (only color lights on the tree) globe lights built in... I then finish off with all white minis from the top down... This gives you the illusion of "snow" with the thicker/bigger white, globed/red holly lights at the top.

Somehow, there may be a joke in the above paragraph... :D

It is all about the right tools for the right job... Work smart, not hard!

Again... :blush:

I sure like these new emoticons! :P

Our problem was always that we got huge trees (15+) and because they were scarce, usually we had to pick one with one side that looked like dogsht.  So spinning the thing around wasn't really an option.

Hence, starting at the bottom reason #43

857012[/snapback]

What... Explain to me how that is reason #43?

:P:worthy:

I assumed you parked the gangy side to a wall? :blush::D

What... Explain to me how that is reason #43?

:P  :worthy:

I assumed you parked the gangy side to a wall? :blush:  :D

857115[/snapback]

Reason 43 was hyperbole...I actually can only think of two, but they were both good ones.

Yeah, there is only one tree farm near us that sold really big trees, but as the years went on, the pickens got slim. We'd often pick one that was up against another tree so it was completely dead on one side. Tuck that thing in a corner and who knows the difference. In fact, we actually began cutting off the back branches so that it wouldn't stick out 6-7 feet from the wall.

Ya do what you gotta do.

Reason 43 was hyperbole...I actually can only think of two, but they were both good ones.

Yeah, there is only one tree farm near us that sold really big trees, but as the years went on, the pickens got slim.  We'd often pick one that was up against another tree so it was completely dead on one side.  Tuck that thing in a corner and who knows the difference.  In fact, we actually began cutting off the back branches so that it wouldn't stick out 6-7 feet from the wall.

Ya do what you gotta do.

857142[/snapback]

I did realize it was hyperbole because there is no valid reason to start at the bottom... Not with the sh*t out on the market today... :P

Even if one was a mullet head and plugged the first strand into the outlet and started stringing "daisy chain" to the top... Which IMO is a pretty "scuzzy" idea... :D When you reach the top, how do you bury the excess? What if a inline mini fuse blows? All modern lights have them now you know... :P Where do you bury the excess, It is pretty thin up top? Go the "hub" route as I explained above... You can get "live boot" when you add more strands... Like the computer analogy? :D

I understand that you need power to the lights while working so as to see which lights are on or go out... That is where a temp extension cord can come in if you choose not to go the route I described in my above posts...

Oh... And the proof is in the pudding/numbers... All you "bottom to top" maroons out there are losing badly in the poll... :D:lol::lol:

I start at the bottom and work my way to the top stringing the lights with my left hand while I hold the remaining lights with my right. As I am going around the tree, from time to time I will glance at my right hand to see how many lights I have left. This is a crazy concept, but it works eveytime.

857879[/snapback]

I can vouch for the fact that the same technique works using the right hand and circling the tree in a counter clockwise manner. Never had one itty bitty problem.

Six pages on how to put the lights on a Christmas tree. Geez.

On the next episode of Laverne and Shirley, the girls argue with Lenny and Squiggy on the proper way to install a new roll of toilet paper.

857941[/snapback]

The toilet paper has to roll towards the wall. There is no other way.