X-Mas Debate

Puhonix

When putting lights on the X-mas tree, do you start at the top or bottom of the tree?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. When putting lights on the X-mas tree, do you start at the top or bottom of the tree?

• Bottom

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct.  Puhonix, who is having problems with this procedure?

854237[/snapback]

Seems my GF starts at the top, which is fine, I let her light the tree as I sat back, had a beer, and watched Sports (Soccer on this particular night).

Both of our girlfriends. They claim you start at the top. who the !@#$ does that?

854238[/snapback]

One starts at the top. Because it is thinner than at the bottom, good placement at the top is more important than at the bottom (because bad top placement really stands out). If you string up, rather than down, you may have to re-adjust because your lower windings don't allow enough length/lights to get the desired effect in the top regions.

Lower down, ornaments proliferate, so light placement is relaxed.

Art Design 101... :thumbdown:

One starts at the top. Because it is thinner than at the bottom, good placement at the top is more important than at the bottom (because bad placement really stands out, there).  If you string up, rather than down, you may have to re-adjust because your lower windings don't allow enough length/lights to get the desired effect in the top regions.

Lower down, ornaments proflierate, so light placement  is relaxed.

854251[/snapback]

I start from the left middle.

You start at the bottom of the tree. You can plug the lights in which makes it much easier to see them while putting them on.

854236[/snapback]

I first start by running the multiple outlet power cord (that is attached to a ornamant that serves as a touch switch/interupt to power the lights on and off) from the outlet/mains to the bottom of the tree and up the trunk to the top... This gives you mutiple outlets along the whole trunk of the tree... So you don't have to string together multiple light sets as one strand...

I usually start by working the lights from top to bottom... Usually a set of net lights get buried inside when putting an artificial tree together... Gives you depth of light on the tree... Every other year we go real... So with the net lights I try an push them into the tree.

Oh... I really despise this holiday activity... I am too much a perfectionist and usually rage :thumbdown::thumbsup: ... Not to mention that the Sabres blew a 2-0 lead yesterday! The rage subsided with a Briere and subsequent SO win!

:P:nana:

Start from the bottom.  Have to make sure you can plug 'em in.  What if you run out of cord by the time you reach the bottom of the tree??  :thumbdown:

854242[/snapback]

What if you run out of cord before the top?

Get a heavy gauge extension cord with outlet spots along the length of the cord... Then plug individual sets into the extension cord itself...

That is safer since you don't have to string sets together... Most manufacts suggest not going beyond three strands on on feed, this eliminates that hazard...

Like my post above says, you can then switch the main cord to an outlet, remote control box, or a touch ornament (separate wire needed) switch... Or what ever way you power the tree on/off...

:thumbsup:

One starts at the top. Because it is thinner than at the bottom, good placement at the top is more important than at the bottom (because bad top placement really stands out).  If you string up, rather than down, you may have to re-adjust because your lower windings don't allow enough length/lights to get the desired effect in the top regions.

Lower down, ornaments proliferate, so light placement  is relaxed.

Art Design 101... :thumbdown:

854251[/snapback]

:thumbsup::P

See... We agree! Exactly!

People will always pull the cart before the horse Cincy...

And I never took Art Design 101 :nana: ... Just Common Sense 102 /Electrical Standards 402 / Make It Easy On Your Mechanically Challenged Wife 306... Knowing that mutiple sets will give you a major headache if a total strand gets totally puked... You can bury the duds.

You start at the bottom of the tree. You can plug the lights in which makes it much easier to see them while putting them on.

854236[/snapback]

I put them on the couch. Then I pretend the distance between the couch and tree is measurement error, and wait for the lights to regress toward the tree.

I put them on the couch.  Then I pretend the distance between the couch and tree is measurement error, and wait for the lights to regress toward the tree.

854292[/snapback]

:thumbdown: