Learnings from this team

JoeF

Had an opportunity this week to view parts of the last 4 games (since the bye)..here are some things that stood out to me..feel free to add to the list:

First the Obvious

1) Lee Evans is a capable #1 receiver and could cross into elite territory very quickly...its not just the speed or the 83 yard td passes its the crispness of the routes and cuts; the willingness to block in the run game...he has it all...extend him this offseason

2) Angelo Crowell sans being one of the guys who missed Garrard on the 4-14 scramble last week is an elite LB in coverage and is becoming more stout against the run almost every week.

3) Jason Peters is our LT for now and the next 5 years and we do not have to address the most expensive line position...its a significant building block for this line ...smart move locking him up

4) Re-sign Nate Clements -- More than the coverage ability -- I think Nate has finally become a leader -- he is the professor for Whitner and Simpson talking to them coaching on the field -- plus he is playing with enthusiasm--I think he is having fun and likes the coaches --

Not so obvious

1) If Ashton Youbooty is somewhat serviceable he beats out Terrence McGee next year for the starting CB job opposite Nate...Terrence's struggles have lessened the last few weeks but he still is a liability covering most #2's

2) Spikes has tempered or lost some of his Football instincts..I got the sense when TKO was in his prime that it wasn't just his speed but his quickness of read and recognition that caused him to be in position to blow up so many plays -- I actually believe he still has some speed--he can chase (the fumble play against Houston for example) -- but his read and react has slowed down...He is often out of position or engulfed on plays that he would have bottled up before. I am going to watch this the next couple of weeks.

3) Terrence Pennington has made vast strides in 4 weeks and could be a longer term answer at RT. The guy has a huge wing span and does not lose battles against the bull rush or in the run game--speed is an issue for him -- needs to work on getting set and showing some initial pop from a good base with speed rushers -- he has only been in a position to give speed rushers a slight love tap on a couple of occasions because he is a touch slow off the snap.

4) JP has checked off more in the last two weeks than the previous 9 games combined. If that's not a show of support from Fairchild -- I don't know what is...

Add your own--or disagree with mine

re: TKO - how much of that do you think might be attributed to all the reps he missed while rehabbing both the Achilles and hamstring injuries? Add a position switch on top of that, too.

McGee is adequate, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he's at a severe disadvantage against the taller WRs that seem to be taking over the league these days. (Good thing, too, because I'm certainly no rocket scientist. :thumbdown: )

Good stuff, Joe.

ADD: I've been wondering whether the gameplan allowed JP to audible, but haven't really paid much attention to it during the games. Thanks for bringing that up.

Had an opportunity this week to view parts of the last 4 games (since the bye)..here are some things that stood out to me..feel free to add to the list:

854213[/snapback]

It's been an interesting 4 games. A wild optimist might be thinking of the '98 Rams...you never know... :thumbdown:

Remember this post. :thumbsup:

re: TKO - how much of that do you think might be attributed to all the reps he missed while rehabbing both the Achilles and hamstring injuries? Add a position switch on top of that, too.

McGee is adequate, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he's at a severe disadvantage against the taller WRs that seem to be taking over the league these days. (Good thing, too, because I'm certainly no rocket scientist. :thumbdown: )

Good stuff, Joe.

ADD: I've been wondering whether the gameplan allowed JP to audible, but haven't really paid much attention to it during the games. Thanks for bringing that up.

854298[/snapback]

Lori on TKO--I think it is a rep thing..He was always where the ball was going before...I think its just being out 18 of the last 23 weeks or whatever...The good news is the straight line speed is there I think but the drops and reads are off...it will be interesting to watch the next 5 weeks..we need him big time against the run...

Overall-- we are not that far away from being a very good team...we got a good influx of talent this year...and I think we have the line positioned right at Center and the Tackles -- I think we still need at least one guard and one more hefty DT who can penetrate...

Lori on TKO--I think it is a rep thing..He was always where the ball was going before...I think its just being out 18 of the last 23 weeks or whatever...The good news is the straight line speed is there I think but the drops and reads are off...it will be interesting to watch the next 5 weeks..we need him big time against the run...

Overall-- we are not that far away from being a very good team...we got a good influx of talent this year...and I think we have the line positioned right at Center and the Tackles -- I think we still need at least one guard and one more hefty DT who can penetrate...

854348[/snapback]

I like your OP, but I think that it is far too early to be sold on Pennington, although he IS off to a decent start. It is great that he has more games to improve and gain much needed experience, and he has a good frame.

As for Fowler, do you think he will ever be a dominant OC? Frankly, I have my doubts, and think that if another Mangold came along, it would be silly to pass him up, unless there was a LB or DT out there that they hold in extremely high regard.

Just my $.02.

I like your OP, but I think that it is far too early to be sold on Pennington, although he IS off to a decent start. It is great that he has more games to improve and gain much needed experience, and he has a good frame.

As for Fowler, do you think he will ever be a dominant OC? Frankly, I have my doubts, and think that if another Mangold came along, it would be silly to pass him up, unless there was a LB or DT out there that they hold in extremely high regard.

Just my $.02.

854361[/snapback]

Bill--from what I saw of Fowler--they very rarely put him in one on one situations with any DTs -- there's is always somebody chipping or helping him in the run game. I would guess that Mangold is often left one on one....

He is pretty decent in pass blocking with help side to the right or left or picking up a middle blitz...He is pretty quick and gets decent leverage from what I saw--he gets out a lot in the run game.its almost like they pull him instead of one of the guards.

I thought they might be shy about running right--and while they do run left more--they certainly don't seem hesitant about running right....There was a formation where both Cieslak and Royal were left and they crossed up and ran right....

If the Jax game is any indication Cieslak is a keeper in both the run game and the pass game..

You have mentioned a ton of times how Peters gets to the second level quickly--the guy is a stud--never gives up on a play and leaves bodies in his wake...its awesome....

I think McNally finally has the combination he wants out there....they will keep feeding him talent -- but of what he has right now he is getting the most out of it and Fairchild is helping because of the adjustments in the passing game.

2) Angelo Crowell sans being one of the guys who missed Garrard on the 4-14 scramble last week is an elite LB in coverage and is becoming more stout against the run almost every week. 

854213[/snapback]

Solid against the pass. Elite? Going a bit too far. And I have not seen much in the way of run defense. He misses an awful lot of tackles. He does, however hit hard and make some game changing plays.

4) Re-sign Nate Clements -- More than the coverage ability -- I think Nate has finally become a leader -- he is the professor for Whitner and Simpson talking to them coaching on the field -- plus he is playing with enthusiasm--I think he is having fun and likes the coaches --

854213[/snapback]

Agreed, but not going to be easy. Nate will have his choice of teams and my feeling is that Buffalo is not on his list.

Nate will have his choice of teams and my feeling is that Buffalo is not on his list.

Well this may not be true, The Bills are loaded with Ohio State players and he loves these kids, it looks like he's adapting to Fewell's (and Jauron's) defense nicely as well and he's the perfect corner for the system he has right now.

Plus with the team starting to win games now and all the positive upside this team appears to have, as long as we offer him the money he's looking for (which is overpriced but we do have the cap space and it's well worth overpaying a player of his caliber), as long as the money's there, I don't see why he wouldn't re-sign.

I doubt he'll be too excited to suddenly have to jump into a new system which he has to learn. It's a lot more promising this offseason getting a deal done than it was last season, that's for sure.